Wikiposts

Ending Canadian PR Status

Old Jun 27th 2005, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

Applicant is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ending Canadian PR Status

Hi,

I became a Canadian PR 2 years back and have been working in the US. Last week got my US permanent residency and the US green card.

My question is what's the procedure to formally end my Canadian PR status and send back my Canadian PR card. All my family - parents and siblings are US citizens and residents, and I choose to live in the US and do away with my Canadian residency. Also, is there a provision to get my landing few and application fee back from Canada.

Also, I am planning a family trip to Montreal and Quebec city for 4 th July holiday, what do I show entering Canada - my US green card or Canadian PR card, I just want a smooth process, no complications and just keep my US residency.

Thanks very much.
Applicant.
Old Jun 27th 2005, 2:23 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Ending Canadian PR Status

Are you kidding about fees? You paid for application that has been processed and approved, you paid the landing fee and you used your PR visas. There is nothing to be refunded.

And get ready for some not so nice comments from those who want to make Canada their home and must endure longer processing times thanks to people like you who only used Canada as safety net, just in case their GC will not come.

Originally Posted by Applicant
Hi,

I became a Canadian PR 2 years back and have been working in the US. Last week got my US permanent residency and the US green card.

My question is what's the procedure to formally end my Canadian PR status and send back my Canadian PR card. All my family - parents and siblings are US citizens and residents, and I choose to live in the US and do away with my Canadian residency. Also, is there a provision to get my landing few and application fee back from Canada.

Also, I am planning a family trip to Montreal and Quebec city for 4 th July holiday, what do I show entering Canada - my US green card or Canadian PR card, I just want a smooth process, no complications and just keep my US residency.

Thanks very much.
Applicant.
Old Jun 27th 2005, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

well excuse you!!!! A hefty fee that is - paid to your country and what are you complaining about.

I choose to live in US that's it better job - no Canadian experience bull shit etc? Some nerve yo u have to accuse me of using canada as a safety net! I lived in US for 10 yrs got great education both bachelor's and master's and then terrific job opportunity and people and a country you gave me a chance and get me grow and make it.

You are so arrogant and obnoxious - can't believe the tone in you rpost, you are above anybody that's your attitude.

Calm down and tone down your attitude.

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Are you kidding about fees? You paid for application that has been processed and approved, you paid the landing fee and you used your PR visas. There is nothing to be refunded.

And get ready for some not so nice comments from those who want to make Canada their home and must endure longer processing times thanks to people like you who only used Canada as safety net, just in case their GC will not come.
Old Jun 27th 2005, 2:45 pm

well excuse you!!!!

What was then your reason for applying for Canadian PR if as you stated you "lived in US for 10 yrs got great education both bachelor's and master's and then terrific job opportunity and people and a country you gave me a chance and get me grow and make it"?

"a hefty fee"??? just a fee sufficient to process your application, nothing more as CIC cannot make any profit from those fees.

well excuse you!!!! A hefty fee that is - paid to your country and what are you complaining about.

I choose to live in US that's it better job - no Canadian experience bull shit etc? Some nerve yo u have to accuse me of using canada as a safety net! I lived in US for 10 yrs got great education both bachelor's and master's and then terrific job opportunity and people and a country you gave me a chance and get me grow and make it.

You are so arrogant and obnoxious - can't believe the tone in you rpost, you are above anybody that's your attitude.

Old Jun 27th 2005, 2:53 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

You can't get your landing fee and application fee back.

If you still want to relinquish Canadian PR, then apparently it is possible to do so on a voluntary basis but the CIC website is not clear on process. Maybe write to the CIC office in Buffalo and ask for instructions.

Thanks very much.
Applicant.
US green card holders are able to visit Canada as tourists without visas, so maybe you could ask to relinquish your Canadian PR at the port of entry.

Once you have relinquished Canadian PR, you can't get it back, so think hard.

Jeremy
Old Jun 27th 2005, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

Azam Ali will become famous soon enough

Wow!!

I think now you can afford to be big mouth, i am sure you forget your time when you desperate for Canadian Immigration.

Anyway good luck to you thankful ........... Can't you be a bit decent ????????????
Old Jun 27th 2005, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks JAJ. That's such a great reply/post - unlike someone - Mr. Arrogant - figured it all out - judging someone right at the get go, saying whatever!

Thanks for the info and understood about what's on CIC's site.

BTW, I have several friends and family friends, Canadian born people who work here on TN-1 and have no problem with the much higher US salaries, better job opportunities and the vast US economy - myself and most Americans (inclding US govt) have no problem with that - you should not judge and cripple individuals based on national origin and foreign education and experience, but rather judge them and give them recognition based on their talents, work ethics and productivity - which are all so not part of the Canadian system for relatively new PRs - but hey they have no problem using the American Microsoft products, American Starbucks for a decent cup of coffee, so on and so worth. Didn't see any Tim Horton's till date in the States, not complaining either!

Originally Posted by JAJ
You can't get your landing fee and application fee back.

If you still want to relinquish Canadian PR, then apparently it is possible to do so on a voluntary basis but the CIC website is not clear on process. Maybe write to the CIC office in Buffalo and ask for instructions.

US green card holders are able to visit Canada as tourists without visas, so maybe you could ask to relinquish your Canadian PR at the port of entry.

Once you have relinquished Canadian PR, you can't get it back, so think hard.

Jeremy
Old Jun 27th 2005, 5:46 pm
Just Joined

borce is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't understand why would you be relinquishing anything. If you don't keep residence in Canada your PR will lapse automatically, anyway.

Hi,

Thanks very much.
Applicant.
Old Jun 28th 2005, 12:08 am
Forum Regular

canadian04 is just really nicecanadian04 is just really nicecanadian04 is just really nicecanadian04 is just really nicecanadian04 is just really nicecanadian04 is just really nicecanadian04 is just really nicecanadian04 is just really nice

Well, you are still a Canadian PR, so you would show your Can PR card. The way to get rid of your Canadian PR, is to stay out of Canada long enough (more than 2 years out of 5).

To Andrew, and everybody else with the "safety net" issues: The only downside of people applying for PR in the US and Canada, is that the processing of PR visas for new immigrants gets prolonged because of the additional number of applicants. (And I don't know by how much? I remember somebody posting here about the processing time in Vienna, Austria - less than 8 months for Skilled Worker if I remember correctly? If you can conclusively prove all points in your application, there won't be any delays.)

Can somebody point out any other disadvantage for Canada? If the "pseudo" PR resides and works in Canada then he/she is paying taxes just like anybody else. In fact, even if the PR is living in the US, he/she would still be paying taxes in Canada. And, I don't think anybody living in Texas, would fly 1000+ miles to see a Canadian doctor because of a cold...? So what's the deal?

The only other drawback would be some new US-lead wars... I can already see all of these "US residents" coming to Canada escaping a draft...
Old Jun 28th 2005, 12:16 am
Forum Regular

khvganesh is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone,
Asking for the fee paid to be returned is insane and unimaginable. Yes, judging people, esp. educated people like from get go is wrong but look at what you said. You paid a fee for a procedure and got visa, cards and everything and landed (where was your GC when you landed, you did not know whether it would come through or not, right??)

It reminds me some funny/absurd joke in regional movies in India. In a movie, one character hires taxi round trip and at the end tells the driver because the taxi is where it started and the passenger is where he started, he does not need to pay. sounds absurd, exactly thats the point.

Point blank, you made an absurd comment and accordingly you are judged. You even waited two years to ask for refund. How silly of you. and what about bank rate interest returns on the fee you paid, good idea?

Anyway, just know that milk is milk and cream is cream. In so called American arrogance and education, you seem to forget the value of immigration to many people's lives.

You talked about some American products and stuff, you forgot that a major part of it is Indian blood/talent esp. Microsoft.

You did not see Tim Hortons there, then you did not travel enough. In my opinion, you are a parasite, it is that simple. Get out of it.

regards,

Thanks JAJ. That's such a great reply/post - unlike someone - Mr. Arrogant - figured it all out - judging someone right at the get go, saying whatever!

Thanks for the info and understood about what's on CIC's site.

BTW, I have several friends and family friends, Canadian born people who work here on TN-1 and have no problem with the much higher US salaries, better job opportunities and the vast US economy - myself and most Americans (inclding US govt) have no problem with that - you should not judge and cripple individuals based on national origin and foreign education and experience, but rather judge them and give them recognition based on their talents, work ethics and productivity - which are all so not part of the Canadian system for relatively new PRs - but hey they have no problem using the American Microsoft products, American Starbucks for a decent cup of coffee, so on and so worth. Didn't see any Tim Horton's till date in the States, not complaining either!
Old Jun 28th 2005, 1:04 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Can somebody point out any other disadvantage for Canada?
The fact that the Canadian government is looking for skilled workers who want to make Canada their home, not people who'll move to America and live there instead? And that those who _do_ want to make Canada their home are delayed by those who just want a PR visa as a 'safety net'?

Sorry, I can't have much sympathy for people who apply for a residency visa in a country where they don't intend to live, no matter where it may be.

I remember somebody posting here about the processing time in Vienna, Austria - less than 8 months for Skilled Worker if I remember correctly?
Good for the Austrians. Meanwhile, in the UK it's over two years and climbing, and even higher elsewhere.

Last edited by MarkG; Jun 28th 2005 at 1:06 am.
Old Jun 28th 2005, 1:44 am
Forum Regular

tsananez is an unknown quantity at this point

[ And, I don't think anybody living in Texas, would fly 1000+ miles to see a Canadian doctor because of a cold...? So what's the deal?]

Well, actually you should not generalize...I do know Canadians living in California who come to Canada for their medical check up, so there you go...
Old Jun 28th 2005, 2:31 am

If PR is not a resident for tax purposes (at least 183 days a year in Canada, etc) and doesn't earn any income in Canada then there are no taxes to be paid here at all.

The other than "safety net" reasons many who are in US on H1 or already with GC are applying for Canadian PR without intention to move here is fact that they won't be able to sponsor their spouses or parents to US easy for many years, if at all. I'm getting tons of emails (at least 2 a day, every day for past several years, so I know how widespread it is) from Canadian PR who live in US who want to find the way how to do it without really moving to Canada. And if you check other posts of the original poster you'll find that he already asked question here how to sponsor wife for Canadian PR if he lives in US and never worked in Canada. Once he realized that it is impossible and found out that all his Canadian PR application effort was for "nothing" he wants his money back.

Originally Posted by canadian04

Can somebody point out any other disadvantage for Canada? If the "pseudo" PR resides and works in Canada then he/she is paying taxes just like anybody else. In fact, even if the PR is living in the US, he/she would still be paying taxes in Canada. And, I don't think anybody living in Texas, would fly 1000+ miles to see a Canadian doctor because of a cold...? So what's the deal?

The only other drawback would be some new US-lead wars... I can already see all of these "US residents" coming to Canada escaping a draft...

Last edited by Andrew Miller; Jun 28th 2005 at 2:44 am.
Old Jun 28th 2005, 2:59 am
Forum Regular

canadian04 is just really nicecanadian04 is just really nicecanadian04 is just really nicecanadian04 is just really nicecanadian04 is just really nicecanadian04 is just really nicecanadian04 is just really nicecanadian04 is just really nice

Given that note, and the other re people from CA(lifornia) flying to CA(nada) to save on medical treatments, I stand corrected. So how do you stop that "safety net" thing? What about charging $5,000 in application fees, which are refunded if the applicant paid taxes for 5 years... Any other ideas?

BTW, why did the Canadian government change the immigration laws to allow PRs these long absences from Canada and still retain their PR. Any reason for that? This obviously just helps attracting "safety net" applicants...

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
If PR is not a resident for tax purposes (at least 183 days a year in Canada, etc) and doesn't earn any income in Canada then there are no taxes to be paid here at all.

The other than "safety net" reasons many who are in US on H1 or already with GC are applying for Canadian PR without intention to move here is fact that they won't be able to sponsor their spouses or parents to US easy for many years, if at all. I'm getting tons of emails (at least 2 a day, every day for past several years, so I know how widespread it is) from Canadian PR who live in US who want to find the way how to do it without really moving to Canada. And if you check other posts of the original poster you'll find that he already asked question here how to sponsor wife for Canadian PR if he lives in US and never worked in Canada. Once he realized that it is impossible and found out that all his Canadian PR application effort was for "nothing" he wants his money back.
Old Jun 28th 2005, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

There you go - Cheers to Canadian04!

Right on baby - yeah right the Canadian govt - did not know abt the safety net! Send loads of Canadians to US on Nafta- TN1 visa for loads of more money and salaries than they would have got back in Canada anyway! Talking Big and righteousness and who the F*** decides what's right or wrong - what one does, if I am not rocking up your ass!

So yeah, calm down - and hold your leech! Otherwise piss off - don't give a what you know......

Originally Posted by canadian04
Given that note, and the other re people from CA(lifornia) flying to CA(nada) to save on medical treatments, I stand corrected. So how do you stop that "safety net" thing? What about charging $5,000 in application fees, which are refunded if the applicant paid taxes for 5 years... Any other ideas?

BTW, why did the Canadian government change the immigration laws to allow PRs these long absences from Canada and still retain their PR. Any reason for that? This obviously just helps attracting "safety net" applicants...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.