Employment References

Old Jan 12th 2013, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

gb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to all
Default Employment References

Hi All,

I'm currently going through the process of preparing to apply for permanent Canadian residency through the next FSW scheme (May 2013).

Amongst the many things I'm currently doing to prepare for this is collect references for a 10 year working history.

The CIC guidelines state that the references must be:

Letters:
-Written on company letterheaded paper
-Signed by the responsible officer / supervisor
-Show the company's full address, telephone and fax numbers, e-mail and website addresses
-Stamped with the company's official seal (if applicable)

And...

Must include:
-The specific period(s) of my employment with the company
-The position(s) I have held during the period of employment and the time spent in each position
-My main responsibilities and duties in each position
-My total annual salary plus benefits
-The number of hours worked per week

What I'm finding is that the references supplied often don't contain the info requested (e.g. main responsibilities and duties in each position). Many of my previous employers seem to send out standard references with the bare minimum of info and are unwilling to bend on this policy when pressed personally.

I will struggle to support the missing info with contracts etc as I often worked as a temporary employee through agencies or the info has long been lost or destroyed.

Has anyone else experienced these difficulties and how did you, if you did, over come them?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Yours,

GB_Griffiths.

P.S - I posted something similar in another forum but was told I'd posted it in the wrong place. Sorry.
Old Jan 12th 2013, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Employment References

There was a brief discussion about this a week or two back. When I applied only one of my references contained the duties, the rest were all standard references like they gave out for rental or credit checks. So I included any other documentation I had, like performance appraisals listing the work I'd done.

Of course that was before 'the list' came out requiring specific jobs to qualify. I'm not sure how important the precise duties will be under the new scheme.
Old Jan 12th 2013, 5:04 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by MarkG
There was a brief discussion about this a week or two back. When I applied only one of my references contained the duties, the rest were all standard references like they gave out for rental or credit checks. So I included any other documentation I had, like performance appraisals listing the work I'd done.

Of course that was before 'the list' came out requiring specific jobs to qualify. I'm not sure how important the precise duties will be under the new scheme.
It will probably be quite important. In another forum there have been a number of posters applying under CEC and have been refused as their reference letters didn't outline their duties and responsibilities. So a word to the wise.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

billybambo is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anybody know if there are any templates out there we could use as I am in the same situation as yourself.

I have spoken to an Immigration Consultant and they hinted at templates they use but without going with them I think they might be hard to find.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 1:06 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by billybambo
Does anybody know if there are any templates out there we could use as I am in the same situation as yourself.

I have spoken to an Immigration Consultant and they hinted at templates they use but without going with them I think they might be hard to find.
Look at the duties under the NOC http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/noc/english/...1/welcome.aspx which you will be applying. Select the duties that you do in your job. Don't copy directly (real red flag to CIC) Then describe your position referring to he description in the NOC. Then it is pretty straight forward to describe what you do at work, how long you have been there and how much you get paid.