Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Employment History - Contractor/Temporary Worker

Employment History - Contractor/Temporary Worker

Old Apr 8th 2015, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

kswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Employment History - Contractor/Temporary Worker

Hi All,

I am trying to be proactive and get together my references ahead of time, so that should I be selected from the EE pool, I will have most of my application information ready to go.

I'm curious about what others have done, or what others think should be done for employment history as a temporary worker.

I worked at BC Hydro back in 2011/12, but was technically employed by Accenture as a 'full time temporary employee'. I only had one role at BCH, and didn't work anywhere else for Accenture. On my CV I put BCH, but with regard to my PR application, should I be putting that my employer was Accenture or BCH? Or both?

Similarly, since 2012, I've been working for Standard Chartered Bank, but I am a contractor, and am employed by another company. I have only ever worked for SC, albeit in several roles.

I assume that I should be getting my individual bosses to be signing my references? Rather than get one reference from HR with all my job titles/responsibilities on one form? I notice it says that each work experience requires a separate file... so I've set about getting one 'reference' from each boss that I have had.

Lastly, it says to provide information about annual salary. I earn a 'daily' rate due to the contracted nature of my employment. Should I just work out the annual salary pro-rata, or should I state that it is a daily rate? (or both?)

I just don't want there to be any confusion when CIC try to look into it.

---
Currently I have the below formatting:

Name: Joe Bloggs
Employer: Talent 2 Recruitment. Employed as a contractor, deployed at Standard Chartered Bank.
Job Title: Office Slave
Work Hours: 40 hours per week
Salary: £xxx per day / £xxx per year
Employed from: dd MMM yyyy
Employed to: dd MMM yyyy
Current status: No longer employed in this position
Job responsibilities: Whacking keys, inputting, outputting, shaking it all about.

Last edited by kswoosh; Apr 8th 2015 at 1:51 pm.
Old Apr 8th 2015, 2:53 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Employment History - Contractor/Temporary Worker

Originally Posted by kswoosh
I worked at BC Hydro back in 2011/12, but was technically employed by Accenture as a 'full time temporary employee'. I only had one role at BCH, and didn't work anywhere else for Accenture. On my CV I put BCH, but with regard to my PR application, should I be putting that my employer was Accenture or BCH?
The company that paid you was your employer, Accenture. BC Hydro was a client of Accenture. There is no technically about it. You worked (we employed by a company) who was contracted by another company to do work for them.

From what you have said, BC Hydro had no legal employee/employer relationship with you. Therefore you did work for BC Hydro as an employee of Accenture, but were not employed by BC Hyrdro.

I would not put that you worked for BC Hydro on your resume, as it seems like it is incorrect. You could put Accenture working under contract to BC Hydro. A resume should be accurate, if not, it could leave you open for dismissal for misrepresentation if you get hired on the basis of that. Also, if an employer checks with BC Hydro, you are not going to come up on their books as an employee which is not going to look good. It could make it look like you had no idea what you were doing and for whom or you were trying to mislead.
Old Apr 8th 2015, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

kswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
The company that paid you was your employer, Accenture. BC Hydro was a client of Accenture. There is no technically about it. You worked (we employed by a company) who was contracted by another company to do work for them.

From what you have said, BC Hydro had no legal employee/employer relationship with you. Therefore you did work for BC Hydro as an employee of Accenture, but were not employed by BC Hyrdro.

I would not put that you worked for BC Hydro on your resume, as it seems like it is incorrect. You could put Accenture working under contract to BC Hydro. A resume should be accurate, if not, it could leave you open for dismissal for misrepresentation if you get hired on the basis of that. Also, if an employer checks with BC Hydro, you are not going to come up on their books as an employee which is not going to look good. It could make it look like you had no idea what you were doing and for whom or you were trying to mislead.
Ok - agreed. Thanks very much.

So how about the person I get to sign the reference... It says 'boss/supervisor' but if I'm not actually employed by that person.. does that mean they can't sign the reference?

So would it be my boss/supervisor at BCH/SCB, or the person from HR in Accenture/Allegis who was in charge of that specific contract...?
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

Just to see what everyone else thinks on this...

I have decided to get two references:

1. From Allegis, quoting Name, Employer (company), Job Title, Employment Dates, and Salary, for all 3 positions I have held in the last 5 years with the company.
2. From each of the three managers for the above summarized positions, quoting Name, Employer (company), Job Title, and Responsibilities/Duties.

I realise there's a bit of an overlap, but I'm sure that won't matter. My concern is whether CIC will accept references that have to be 'combined', so to speak, to get all the information they require?