Electrician moving to Canada

Old Sep 29th 2011, 3:22 pm
Just Joined

Balisimo is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Electrician moving to Canada

Hows it goin? new to the site, im an Irish electrician moving to Canada, probably British Columbia at the start of 2012. I have secured my visa but i keep hitting brick walls in terms of working as an electrician over der. Im recently qualified and i believe to sit the Red Seal exam in BC you have to prove you have worked 9000 hours on the job, im a bit short of dat. Does anybody know of any other options open to me? Can I work as a 4th year apprentice or an electricians helper? If so is there much chance of gettin work doin that and what kind of wages could i expect? A lot of questions I know but as i said ive hit a brick wall and id really appreciate any info or help you could give me.

Also, if anybody knows of somebody looking for an electrician or apprentice in Canada that would be a massive help.

THANKS in advance!!!!
Old Sep 29th 2011, 4:19 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electrician moving to Canada

Originally Posted by Balisimo
Hows it goin? new to the site, im an Irish electrician moving to Canada, probably British Columbia at the start of 2012. I have secured my visa but i keep hitting brick walls in terms of working as an electrician over der. Im recently qualified and i believe to sit the Red Seal exam in BC you have to prove you have worked 9000 hours on the job, im a bit short of dat. Does anybody know of any other options open to me? Can I work as a 4th year apprentice or an electricians helper? If so is there much chance of gettin work doin that and what kind of wages could i expect? A lot of questions I know but as i said ive hit a brick wall and id really appreciate any info or help you could give me.

Also, if anybody knows of somebody looking for an electrician or apprentice in Canada that would be a massive help.

THANKS in advance!!!!
No problem working as a helper under supervision, if you can get employment. Does depend on what visa you have though. As for apprenticeship, best to contact the ITA, they are the ones who would assess your credentials.
http://www.itabc.ca/site3.aspx
As a helper, wages would not be spectacular, if you were lucky maybe $12-15 an hour.

Watch the spelling and grammar when applying for jobs. Even as a labourer, spelling errors on a resume can get it kicked out of consideration.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 4:41 pm
Just Joined

Thanks a million for the information, the wages sound very low but there is no work in Ireland at the moment. Do you know if I would have to get registered as an apprentice or helper before I could start working? I have been in contact with the ITA but the lady I was talking to was not very helpful, I will try ringing them again though.

I appreciate the help and as for the spelling and grammar I wrote the thread as a text message on my phone and I was on autopilot I guess.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 5:30 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Balisimo
Thanks a million for the information, the wages sound very low but there is no work in Ireland at the moment. Do you know if I would have to get registered as an apprentice or helper before I could start working? I have been in contact with the ITA but the lady I was talking to was not very helpful, I will try ringing them again though.

I appreciate the help and as for the spelling and grammar I wrote the thread as a text message on my phone and I was on autopilot I guess.
Try these guys http://www.bcea.bc.ca/

You may want to try and get out here for this http://www.bcea.bc.ca/event_display_...p?event_id=465
Old Sep 30th 2011, 9:50 am
Just Joined

I will have a look, thanks again.