Common Law & re-entry

Old Sep 29th 2011, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

cbuk2003 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Common Law & re-entry

Hello

So I moved to Toronto last December on a 1 year (bunac) visa. I have worked and in that time met my girlfriend in January. I have been living at her place since feb 2011 (I know, was a fast move)

We have talked about getting me a common law partnership but I think you can only do this after a year???

Also when my visa runs out what is the best way to re-enter Toronto, will I have any issues and can I just stay on a travel Visa (6 months) I have over $8,000 saved up.

I then plan to reapply for a work visa (via bunac again) as I am under 30.

Could anyone offer any advice on the above matters..

Thanks in advance
Old Sep 29th 2011, 2:24 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Common Law & re-entry

Originally Posted by cbuk2003
Hello

So I moved to Toronto last December on a 1 year (bunac) visa. I have worked and in that time met my girlfriend in January. I have been living at her place since feb 2011 (I know, was a fast move)

We have talked about getting me a common law partnership but I think you can only do this after a year???

Also when my visa runs out what is the best way to re-enter Toronto, will I have any issues and can I just stay on a travel Visa (6 months) I have over $8,000 saved up.

I then plan to reapply for a work visa (via bunac again) as I am under 30.

Could anyone offer any advice on the above matters..

Thanks in advance
You don't 'get common law'. It is or it isn't. You have to prove a co habitation in a man and wife type relationship, not just living in her place. Joint bank accounts, rental agreements utility bills etc.

You should probably read this http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...asp#common_law

As for Bunac, I believe you have to apply for that from the UK, once you have a common law relationship and 'home' in Canada, this might be hard. If you leave the county, this may break the common law status.

You may just have to try and stay as a visitor until she can sponsor you, so long as you meet the criteria.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 5:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

chanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Common Law & re-entry

Originally Posted by Aviator
You don't 'get common law'. It is or it isn't. You have to prove a co habitation in a man and wife type relationship, not just living in her place. Joint bank accounts, rental agreements utility bills etc.

You should probably read this http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...asp#common_law

As for Bunac, I believe you have to apply for that from the UK, once you have a common law relationship and 'home' in Canada, this might be hard. If you leave the county, this may break the common law status.

You may just have to try and stay as a visitor until she can sponsor you, so long as you meet the criteria.
you can apply for next years IEC from the UK or from CANADA (fairly recent rule change). You could return to the UK for a short period e.g. for business, visiting family etc) without breaking status for common law