Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

EE & Open Work Permit together? Job Application

EE & Open Work Permit together? Job Application

Old Jan 23rd 2019, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

FromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EE & Open Work Permit together? Job Application

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

Only one other route that springs to mind, but I think it's been suggested to you before so presumably isn't an option? The BC PNP Entrepreneur route? https://www.welcomebc.ca/Immigrate-t...ur-Immigration

Personal requirements (for Entrepreneur prog)

To qualify, you must:
  • have a personal net worth of at least CAD$600,000
Old Jan 23rd 2019, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

FromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Getting qualifications assessed and proving experience is standard for any job that requires Certification in Canada - and even for Express Entry. Many professions you cannot work in until such time as you have Provincial Registration / Certification.. including most of those that you have mentioned you have done, such as teaching, lecturing, counseling etc.

I would suggest that you look at the requirements for each job that you have looked at as potential employment - even jobs in HR often require diploma's or certificates. Canada is ALL about supporting documentation, so be aware and perhaps check if your qualifications in areas other than health would be recognised here.

There is a code for Life Coach ... you needed to go to 'all titles' Results of "View all Titles"
  • life skills coach
  • life skills instructor

my HR qualification is from the Chartered Institute of Personnel & Development (CIPD) which is the highest and most recognised HR quals in UK. Canada has an equivalent org (cant remember it now), but they use the word 'Designated.'

Because my HR quals are professional quals, i cant get ECA for them anyway.
i think it is really short-sighted that ECA organisations don't assess prof/vocational quals. It is what it is though!

HOWEVER, the HR jobs that i am looking at, are asking for either undergraduate quals in similar field (my psychology); or 2 year diploma or equivalent experience (got CIPD); number of years post secondary experience
and/or training experience

I am qualified for what they are asking for - i have nearly 30 years experience of combined HR/HRD. 12 years as training consultant
I haven't seen anything at all in any job ad to suggest that they require certification at the time of appointment, except one that states something like: "be willing to undertake ...Designation.." after appointed. This particular job didn't ask for a degree.

Wouldn't mind doing cert for this as long as i can work also, but don't think it would be necessary to do cert.

My training qualification is included in the CIPD although i have a separate trg qual. Several jobs include training function as well. Training requirement is more for staff's professional dev rather than lecturing, say, at a college or uni. They are not assessed in the same way.

And i am deliberately not looking to apply for managerial positions which might require Canada's snr HR designation.

My aim now is to find the easiest route into the country ASAP and have opp of gaining my PR, without losing too many more points due to my age.
Old Jan 23rd 2019, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

There is a code for Life Coach ... you needed to go to 'all titles' Results of "View all Titles"
  • life skills coach
  • life skills instructor

Lead statement

Social and community service workers administer and implement a variety of social assistance programs and community services, and assist clients to deal with personal and social problems. They are employed by social service and government agencies, mental health agencies, group homes, shelters, substance abuse centres, school boards, correctional facilities and other establishments.

I did see these
That is not the kind of life coaching that i do
I work with individuals in their own right outside of social programmes, a bit similar to career coaching or business coaching.

The terminology that they use would be similar to what we call 'Functional skills' in the UK - basic skills to learn how to cope in the community or world of work

There are Life coaches in Canada though, who do what i do; and one of the jobs i looked at asked about the model of coaching used, for instance the GROW model, which i use
Old Jan 23rd 2019, 9:50 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

This one perhaps? Look at the main duties rather than the lead statement

4153 Family, marriage and other related counsellors
Old Jan 23rd 2019, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

BIG THANKS Siouxie & Christmasoompa!

Appreciate your help and guidance

Going to speed ahead with getting familiar with Job hunting wiki and revise my Resume/CV accordingly

My query about Resume/CV is that because i am looking at HR/HRD roles, there is an expectation of continuous CPD, which i have but which i couldn't fit into a Resume with quals (recent CPD that is).
Would employers take exception to me sending Resume & CV with cover letter?

Last check about proof for my training consultancy experience for EE when the time comes, i have testimonials from past clients mostly in the form of emails or on training feedback forms (and my website).
Due to school & children's centre changes/funding, many of my contacts have left or centres closed down.
Would CIC accept training feedback forms?

i have annual company returns in the company's name prepared by my accountant which states that the business was training & coaching
Also i have letter headed communication from HMRC & Companies house about info for the business in question

i have invoices from conference/training venues etc

Would this be sufficient proof of my consultancy experience or would they be looking for additional evidence?
I have official incorporation info also

Thanks again
Old Jan 23rd 2019, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

This one perhaps? Look at the main duties rather than the lead statement

4153 Family, marriage and other related counsellors
This is something that would require Canadian certification; and hundreds of hours of supervised practical experience before registration

Also :
Membership with a provincial association for marriage and family therapists or clinical counsellors is required to use the title "Registered Marriage and Family Therapist" or "Registered Clinical Counsellor",
"Registered marriage and family therapists and registered clinical counsellors must meet strict criteria involving post-graduate education and a period of supervised clinical work with clients."

Through previous research, found that Associations required 3 - 6 degrees including Masters, just to be a member!!

I saw a job based at a family centre which included HR/HRD that i was interested in.
I might use an opportunity like that to get in the back door of working with families and maybe do a certificate/qual of some sort whilst there. HR employers might pay for training too as prof dev?? They do in UK

Will see what's feasible...

Thanks again Siouxie
Old Jan 24th 2019, 7:59 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Not all of the entrepreneur routes need $600k, but I assume you've checked the others too and aren't prepared to be anywhere other than Vancouver? OK, so at least you now know what visa route you need to focus on and you know that a job offer is essential.

Originally Posted by FromUKtoBC
Would CIC accept training feedback forms?

i have annual company returns in the company's name prepared by my accountant which states that the business was training & coaching
Also i have letter headed communication from HMRC & Companies house about info for the business in question

i have invoices from conference/training venues etc

Would this be sufficient proof of my consultancy experience or would they be looking for additional evidence?
I have official incorporation info also

Thanks again
Forget CIC for now. You'll need a lot more evidence than that but cross that bridge when you come to it. You won't be applying for PR for quite a while yet, your first hurdle is finding an employer prepared to sponsor you, in a job that no Canadian can do. Got to be honest, don't think it's going to be easy given your skills/jobs. But that's your first step, once you get the job offer and LMIA and are out there working on a TWP, you can then look at a PR app - or you may even convince an employer to go down the BC PNP route, but it will have to be the old paper based route rather than EE, gives you another option though and would mean applying for PR sooner at least.

Grab that cuppa, get reading the Job Hunting section of the Wiki, and plan a job hunting trip asap.

Best of luck.
Old Jan 24th 2019, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Not all of the entrepreneur routes need $600k, but I assume you've checked the others too and aren't prepared to be anywhere other than Vancouver? OK, so at least you now know what visa route you need to focus on and you know that a job offer is essential.

Forget CIC for now. You'll need a lot more evidence than that but cross that bridge when you come to it. You won't be applying for PR for quite a while yet, your first hurdle is finding an employer prepared to sponsor you, in a job that no Canadian can do. Got to be honest, don't think it's going to be easy given your skills/jobs. But that's your first step, once you get the job offer and LMIA and are out there working on a TWP, you can then look at a PR app - or you may even convince an employer to go down the BC PNP route, but it will have to be the old paper based route rather than EE, gives you another option though and would mean applying for PR sooner at least.

Grab that cuppa, get reading the Job Hunting section of the Wiki, and plan a job hunting trip asap.

Best of luck.
Dont necessarily want to be in Vancouver but want to be in BC more than other provinces

I have seen jobs been re-advertised with skills that i have, in particular around HR and marketing/networking/relationship building. These are essential skills for self employed people to have

Thanks again

Old Jan 25th 2019, 12:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Dont necessarily want to be in Vancouver but want to be in BC more than other provinces
So have a look at the other BC PNP Entrepreneur stream, Regional Pilot, it has a lesser net worth requirement.
Old Jan 25th 2019, 3:50 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I have seen jobs been re-advertised with skills that i have, in particular around HR and marketing/networking/relationship building. These are essential skills for self employed people to have

Thanks again
Do bear in mind that the potential employer will have to advertise extensively across Canada for weeks - and prove that there isn't a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident anywhere in Canada qualified, able nor willing to take the position - and show proof of why other applicants were not deemed suitable, in order to obtain a positive LMIA and for you to be able to get a work permit.

It's not an easy, quick nor cheap process for them so unless you have something that is in high demand that others don't, you may struggle to find an employer willing to go through the process. Worth trying, just don't want you to think it's a simple matter of seeing a job advertised, applying, being offered it and then moving across with a TWP.
What is a Labour Market Impact Assessment?

Best of luck and do study the job search section in the wiki..