Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Educational Credential Assessment – UK City and Guilds / NVQ Equivalency

Educational Credential Assessment – UK City and Guilds / NVQ Equivalency

Old Feb 12th 2015, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

chrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Educational Credential Assessment – UK City and Guilds / NVQ Equivalency

Hi, I have done some quite extensive searching on here, and other places in regards to current ECA scoring but have found nothing conclusive.

Has anybody had any recent experience of ECA assessments, and their awards on the UK City & Guilds / NVQ’s, comparative to Canadian qualifications; and points therefore awarded under EE.

Looking at the CIC criteria, a 3 year part time, Level 2 City & Guilds / level 2 NVQ from a UK trade school (Industrial Electrician in my case) should be equivalent to a "college certificate";

“One-year degree, diploma or certificate from a program at a university, college, trade or technical school, or other institute”

ECA assessment results:

• College Certificate
• Completion of College-level certificate
• University Certificate
• University Diploma
• One-year certificate in [name of discipline]

And would therefore score 84 EE points (with spouse on EE application)

Has anybody recently had an ECA response for the UK based level 2 C&G or NVQ?
Old Feb 12th 2015, 3:30 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Educational Credential Assessment – UK City and Guilds / NVQ Equivalency

I sent WES an email last week asking about NVQs and whether they actually assessed them (last year they informed me they didn't) but as of yet they have not bothered getting back to me.

I was informed a level, 3 NVQ was equivalent to a one year diploma but I could be wrong
Old Feb 12th 2015, 3:53 am
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Educational Credential Assessment – UK City and Guilds / NVQ Equivalency

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
I sent WES an email last week asking about NVQs and whether they actually assessed them (last year they informed me they didn't) but as of yet they have not bothered getting back to me.

I was informed a level, 3 NVQ was equivalent to a one year diploma but I could be wrong
I had to phone and email WES several times to get an answer and then the answer was very short and looked like it was straight from a template. I was not impressed with them to be honest, but some have mentioned ICAS are hot and miss too. I suppose you need an ECA and suppose you just have to deal with the companies that CIC have approved, I do think for the money they charge they should offer a better service, sorry I will get of my soap box. Just my two cents but as above you may need to contact WES several times before getting a response
Old Feb 12th 2015, 5:19 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mikeypm
I had to phone and email WES several times to get an answer and then the answer was very short and looked like it was straight from a template. I was not impressed with them to be honest, but some have mentioned ICAS are hot and miss too. I suppose you need an ECA and suppose you just have to deal with the companies that CIC have approved, I do think for the money they charge they should offer a better service, sorry I will get of my soap box. Just my two cents but as above you may need to contact WES several times before getting a response
Appreciate the honesty
Old Feb 17th 2015, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

SUNSHINEGIRL_X is an unknown quantity at this point

My level 2 C&G hairdressing and level 3 assessor qualifications are at WES at the moment getting reviewed. I can let you know the outcome.
Old Feb 18th 2015, 1:41 pm
Just Joined

mdkdue is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife's NVQ's were assessed as follows by ICAS:

Level 2 NVQ - City and Guilds UK - Canadian Equivalent: Vocational Study at the Secondary School Level

Level 3 NVQ - Cache - Canadian Equivalent: Study at the college level

Level 4 NVQ - Cache - Canadian Equivalent: Additional study at the college level

Summary: College Diploma (2 Years)

PLEASE NOTE: We HAD to use ICAS because we were informed by many posts on forums that WES did not even recognise NVQ's. The downside is that ICAS will take about 15 weeks plus to process the ECA (almost 17 weeks in our case), and that's from the time that they confirm they have received all the relevant documentation.

We scraped into FSW2014 by 1 day (app delivered 30th Dec) due to ICAS holding up our application!!

Hope this is useful to you
Old Feb 18th 2015, 6:21 pm
Bex in the city

So was the level 4 classed as a 2 year diploma?

I see it says level 3 at college level...
Old Feb 18th 2015, 7:17 pm
Just Joined

mdkdue is an unknown quantity at this point

I have posted exactly what was on the certificate, that is how they assessed it.

I read it as a Level 3 - 1 year college diploma
Level 4 - 1 more year college education....so 2 years total college diploma.
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

chrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mdkdue
I have posted exactly what was on the certificate, that is how they assessed it.

I read it as a Level 3 - 1 year college diploma
Level 4 - 1 more year college education....so 2 years total college diploma.
Thank Guys, my C&G's / NVQ's are currently with WES, so I'm presuming the same equivalency assessment as ICAS will be made....but will update the thread with my results as well.
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 8:42 pm
Just Joined

doobyub is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Everyone.

My first post here.
So im planning to apply under the fsw.

I have 3 UK A-Levels. Can someone explain how many points under the education section this qualifies me for?

Thanks
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 11:27 pm
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by chrisro55
Thank Guys, my C&G's / NVQ's are currently with WES, so I'm presuming the same equivalency assessment as ICAS will be made....but will update the thread with my results as well.
So it sounds like they do take NVQs now then.
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 12:01 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by doobyub
Hi Everyone.

My first post here.
So im planning to apply under the fsw.

I have 3 UK A-Levels. Can someone explain how many points under the education section this qualifies me for?

Thanks
Secondary school equivalency only.
Old Mar 19th 2015, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
So it sounds like they do take NVQs now then.
I have had a response back form WES, and can advise that a NVQ 2 is only considered "equivalent of completion of secondary-level vocational study and training"

As such a formal ECA report cannot be issued for an NVQ L2 alone.

I would be interested to find out what the stance / response is on NVQ L3 and above, from anyone else going through the process with WES; or if any one has had an ECA report issued by ICAS based solely on an NVQ L2.

I would presume the ranking is regulated / dictated by CIC, and and all accredited ECA providers should be issuing identical equivalencies.

Last edited by chrisro55; Mar 19th 2015 at 9:51 pm.
Old Mar 19th 2015, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

SUNSHINEGIRL_X is an unknown quantity at this point

I sent off my level 2 Hairdressing and level 3 assessor to WES. My result was
Canadian Equivalency: Completion of a career training program

What box do I tick for education level I'm guessing 2 year vocational trade as the level 2 was 2 years and level 3 was another year much later.
mine was city and guilds.
Old Mar 19th 2015, 9:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SUNSHINEGIRL_X
I sent off my level 2 Hairdressing and level 3 assessor to WES. My result was
Canadian Equivalency: Completion of a career training program

What box do I tick for education level I'm guessing 2 year vocational trade as the level 2 was 2 years and level 3 was another year much later.
mine was city and guilds.
I don't think 'a career training program' would count as a 2 year diploma personally - they'd say if it was a 2 year diploma.

Were they full-time or part-time?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.