Early entry on a student visa

Old Jan 15th 2021, 6:32 pm
Just Joined

mrs_socks is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Early entry on a student visa

Hi all!

We are from the UK and are moving to Vancouver later this year. I have a study visa for a course starting in September 2021, and my partner is coming with me on a spouse work visa (he already has a job lined up).

We are hoping (COVID restrictions depending, obviously!) to head out to BC in June, to allow us time to quarantine and then take an extended holiday/road trip before getting settled and starting my course/his work. Does anyone have experience arriving this early? As I understand it, it should be OK as long as we can prove we have adequate means to support ourselves without working until my course starts? I don't want to get turned away!

I've tried to find an answer via IIRC and CBSA, but haven't found anything definitive so hoping someone here can soothe my anxieties... thanks in advance!
Old Jan 15th 2021, 7:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Early entry on a student visa

I don't know about your early entry .......

.......... BUT BC is still on an Essential Travel Only regime, ie, no travel outside your area. We officially could not travel from Vancouver to Surrey, and definitely not to Whistler.

So your travel plans could be well up the tube.

You still have to quarantine for 14 days after arrival, that means NO going out at all, not for shopping or walks.

The latest information on vaccinations from the BC Medical Officer and Minister of Health is that vaccinations may not be complete until later in the summer, maybe a late as September.

So all emergency regulations could well be in effect until at least then.

I see that putting a kibosh on arriving in June AND travelling around the province, let alone to another province, eg going to the Rockies.

As far as your study is concerned ............. have you checked whether it will be in-person face-to-face or online? Currently almost all post-secondary courses are online. UBC campus for example is deader than the proverbial door nail!
Old Jan 15th 2021, 8:01 pm
Just Joined

mrs_socks is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scilly
I don't know about your early entry .......

.......... BUT BC is still on an Essential Travel Only regime, ie, no travel outside your area. We officially could not travel from Vancouver to Surrey, and definitely not to Whistler.

So your travel plans could be well up the tube.

You still have to quarantine for 14 days after arrival, that means NO going out at all, not for shopping or walks.

The latest information on vaccinations from the BC Medical Officer and Minister of Health is that vaccinations may not be complete until later in the summer, maybe a late as September.

So all emergency regulations could well be in effect until at least then.

I see that putting a kibosh on arriving in June AND travelling around the province, let alone to another province, eg going to the Rockies.

As far as your study is concerned ............. have you checked whether it will be in-person face-to-face or online? Currently almost all post-secondary courses are online. UBC campus for example is deader than the proverbial door nail!
Thanks for your speedy response! I was aware of the travel restrictions in BC, I guess I'm hoping they will have relaxed in time for summer 🤞🤞 (we are also prepared to change flights if necessary and come closer to the start of the school term, which will be a bummer but what can you do!)

My course is going to be blended delivery (some online/some in person) I'm studying forestry, so a certain amount of in-person fieldwork and laboratories is necessary, and I have a letter from BCIT to confirm that I cannot study online only. (I was actually supposed to start last September, but it was postponed because of this!) So I think this is classed as non-discretionary travel and will allow us to enter Canada.

Edit: Forgot to mention, we have friends who live there already who are willing to do grocery runs etc for us while we're in quarantine.

Last edited by mrs_socks; Jan 15th 2021 at 8:20 pm.
Old Jan 16th 2021, 3:12 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

The latest news today that Pfitzer are shutting down the Belgian factory to build an extension has hit not only the UK and European countries, but also Canada.

BC was thinking that September would probably be about the time to have vaccinated sufficient people for there to be "herd immunity", and to begin relaxing restrictions and getting back to some sort of normality.

This loss of vaccine delivery might well cause a problem with that timeline, especially if other vaccine manufacturers cannot be approved, or produce sufficient supplies for all the countries in need.

Keep watching the BC Health Minister's reports, but I don't think I would bank on it.

We haven't left Vancouver since we got back from our Christmas 2019 trip to our daughter on January 2nd last year, and I really don't see any chance of getting to see them before at least next fall. In fact, I think our first trip might not be until next September or October to Jasper ....... that's how pessimistic I am about getting back to being able to travel freely.
Old Jan 16th 2021, 1:59 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Please remember posts in the Immigration and Citizenship forum should be kept on topic and be concerned with Immigration / Citizenship matters only.
Discussions regarding travel, covid and vaccines should be taken to the main Canada forums.
Thank you.
Old Jan 16th 2021, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Siouxie ................

I'm sorry, but this thread WAS in the main Canada section when I responded, and I thought current information on BC was giving her up-to-date information.

Delete my posts if you prefer.