Dual residency questions

Old Jun 16th 2001, 1:33 am
Steve D.

My girlfriend is a French-Canadian living in Quebec. She has two children, but has
never been married. I am a United States citizen living in Texas. I have a son, who
lives with his mother. I own my own business, and am a computer programmer. I have no
college degree, but have been either working in the field or running my own business
for over four years. I do not speak French (although I am learning).

Currently, we have mostly a long-distance relationship, but we want to make it more
permanent, if possible.

She, obviously, does not want to leave Quebec, because her children are
French-speaking, and their father lives there. I, of course, do not want to leave
Texas permanently, because of my son, who lives with his mother here, but who I spend
a lot of time with.

I, however, have some flexibility. My business is successful, and although I cannot
leave it for months at a time, I can certainly leave it for spurts. Ideally, I would
spend some time here in Texas, maintaining my residence here, but also spending time
in Canada with my girlfriend. My desire is to ask this woman to marry me, but I have
no idea of the residency requirements, how often I can enter and leave Canada, etc.
Also, can I work (work meaning my existing U.S. business and customers) while
visiting Canada? All I need is a phone and a computer, and I'm good to go.

Any help is greatly appreciated. In the meantime, I will be pouring through the
posts here.

Thank you in advance.

Steve