Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Dual-citizenship and differential tuition?

Dual-citizenship and differential tuition?

Old Nov 23rd 2004, 6:11 pm
Just Joined

Circumradiant_Dawn is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Dual-citizenship and differential tuition?

Hello everyone.

Like everyone else on here, I have a question that needs answering. Mine, however, is the result of a bit of an odd situation. I'm a Canadian citizen from New Brunswick and I am currently in my last year of high school. I've decided on going to university in either Quebec or Manitoba (admissions will decide that one for me, I suppose) and normally, there would be no problem with this, except for the fact that for the past six years I have attended school in Maine (US) and just over this summer have received dual citizenship. This, as one would imagine, makes the application process rather complicated. Do I claim myself as a Canadian citizen or International? I have emailed two of the three admissions offices of the universities I'm looking into and have so far received no reply, this being three months later, so, needless to say, I'm a bit perplexed with all of this.

Also, regarding Quebec, as most of you probably know, the province has adopted differential tuition for in-province and out-of-province students. At Concordia University, the students that are residents of Quebec attending full-time for the arts and sciences department pay approximately $2500 CAD in tuition and fees per year while the out-of-province students pay a total of about $5500 CAD per year. The costs for international students, the group which I am dreading being put into, pays over $10,000 per year in tuition and fees when attending full-time, a ridiculous amount considering the fact that this is all based on what part of the country or the globe you hail from. My question is, since I will going for my doctorate and will most likely be staying in Quebec after graduate school to practice, can I declare residency when I first move there in the summer of 2005 and thereby avoid paying 3k-8k more for my tuition or is there a waiting period you have to go through before being accepted as a resident of that province? I read the post from the individual who had his "landing papers" or "landing plans" taken from him by the Quebec border officials when revealing that he had a Quebec residence. He also mentioned something about a CSD (I hope I'm remembering this correctly). Could someone please explain to me what this is? I've looked on the Canadian immigration site and the sites of the three universities I'm applying to, but so far, my searches have been in vain. I know this has probably been talked about before in previous threads, but to sift through every single one at this point for this bit of information that may or may not be there is time-consuming, as you can imagine. If anyone could point me to a thread that talks about a similar situation, that would be a big help as well.

Thank you so much for reading all of this in advance. This is something that has really been bothering me lately and I hope to finally get some answers so I can go to my guidance counselour next week and explain to her in some definite terms what this admissions process will entail. Hopefully things aren't going to be as complex as I've been fearing. Thanks again!
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 6:38 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dual-citizenship and differential tuition?

You are still a Canadian citizen and this is what you declare. All other citizenships you may have are irrelevant. So, nothing complicated here. But of course if you are not Quebec resident you will pay out of Province tuition if enrolling into school there.

Originally Posted by Circumradiant_Dawn
Hello everyone.

Like everyone else on here, I have a question that needs answering. Mine, however, is the result of a bit of an odd situation. I'm a Canadian citizen from New Brunswick and I am currently in my last year of high school. I've decided on going to university in either Quebec or Manitoba (admissions will decide that one for me, I suppose) and normally, there would be no problem with this, except for the fact that for the past six years I have attended school in Maine (US) and just over this summer have received dual citizenship. This, as one would imagine, makes the application process rather complicated. Do I claim myself as a Canadian citizen or International? I have emailed two of the three admissions offices of the universities I'm looking into and have so far received no reply, this being three months later, so, needless to say, I'm a bit perplexed with all of this.

Also, regarding Quebec, as most of you probably know, the province has adopted differential tuition for in-province and out-of-province students. At Concordia University, the students that are residents of Quebec attending full-time for the arts and sciences department pay approximately $2500 CAD in tuition and fees per year while the out-of-province students pay a total of about $5500 CAD per year. The costs for international students, the group which I am dreading being put into, pays over $10,000 per year in tuition and fees when attending full-time, a ridiculous amount considering the fact that this is all based on what part of the country or the globe you hail from. My question is, since I will going for my doctorate and will most likely be staying in Quebec after graduate school to practice, can I declare residency when I first move there in the summer of 2005 and thereby avoid paying 3k-8k more for my tuition or is there a waiting period you have to go through before being accepted as a resident of that province? I read the post from the individual who had his "landing papers" or "landing plans" taken from him by the Quebec border officials when revealing that he had a Quebec residence. He also mentioned something about a CSD (I hope I'm remembering this correctly). Could someone please explain to me what this is? I've looked on the Canadian immigration site and the sites of the three universities I'm applying to, but so far, my searches have been in vain. I know this has probably been talked about before in previous threads, but to sift through every single one at this point for this bit of information that may or may not be there is time-consuming, as you can imagine. If anyone could point me to a thread that talks about a similar situation, that would be a big help as well.

Thank you so much for reading all of this in advance. This is something that has really been bothering me lately and I hope to finally get some answers so I can go to my guidance counselour next week and explain to her in some definite terms what this admissions process will entail. Hopefully things aren't going to be as complex as I've been fearing. Thanks again!
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

bartM will become famous soon enough
Default Off-topic

I guess you must like DCD

Originally Posted by Circumradiant_Dawn
Hello everyone.