Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Dual Citizen wanting to move family to Canada

Dual Citizen wanting to move family to Canada

Old Jun 11th 2018, 8:31 pm
Just Joined

MikeJones735 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dual Citizen wanting to move family to Canada

Hello everybody,

So I have recently acquired my Canadian Citizenship through decent and would like to move to Canada with my wife and son. How can I move my family across? I can't sponsor them as I do not work in Canada (me and my wife both currently work in the UK), so is there any other way? I don't want to be parted from them in our quest to move. My wife is a Polish Citizen but my son is a British Citizen.

Thank you
Old Jun 11th 2018, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual Citizen wanting to move family to Canada

Originally Posted by MikeJones735
Hello everybody,

So I have recently acquired my Canadian Citizenship through decent and would like to move to Canada with my wife and son. How can I move my family across? I can't sponsor them as I do not work in Canada (me and my wife both currently work in the UK), so is there any other way? I don't want to be parted from them in our quest to move. My wife is a Polish Citizen but my son is a British Citizen.

Thank you
You have come to the right place!

Not working in Canada has nothing to do with spousal sponsorship.

You should (if you have not already done so) use your citizenship to obtain a Canadian passport. Once you have that, you can sponsor your wife and kids with your as the sponsor using Canadian 'outland spousal sponsorship'.

You probably haven't spotted the wiki section of this forum. Here is a huge amount of help and what you need to know as regards spousal outland sponsorship:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spousa...lication_Forms

What you will have to 'prove' is that you will come to them and live in Canada once they are approved. The wiki has a lot on how to do that. I managed it myself despite not living in Canada since I was a young teenager (now 60-ish)!

PS - the fact that your are a 'dual citizen' is also neither here nor there. I also acquired British citizenship so am a 'dual citizen'.

Last edited by Hurlabrick; Jun 11th 2018 at 9:52 pm.
Old Jun 11th 2018, 9:57 pm
Just Joined

MikeJones735 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow. Thank you so much for the reply! I sent off for my passport last week so once that comes through I will definitely look at sponsoring the family. Again thank you!
Old Jun 11th 2018, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeJones735
Wow. Thank you so much for the reply! I sent off for my passport last week so once that comes through I will definitely look at sponsoring the family. Again thank you!
You're welcome!

You will have loads of questions I am sure. Just have a good read of that wiki link, download the set of forms from CIC and use their 'official' help note as well as the ones on here and work you way through.

You do not need an immigration consultant, many people (most?) do it themselves - unless you have loads of money and are 'time poor / cash rich' - save yourself a few grand! I did, especially with the invaluable and free help offered on this forum.