UK to Canada With LMIA

Old Jun 11th 2018, 1:53 pm
Just Joined

Katepatz17 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK to Canada With LMIA

Hi everyone,

Just looking for some advice and sorry if this has already been asked. I just to make sure we have all the documents we need ahead of me and husband and 2 dogs leaving the UK on the 4th August. My husband has an approved LMIA and job offer. I am just applying for an open visa and I am really struggling with what information we need to provide to get our visas at the airport in Vancouver?

What I have found so far is -
  1. Job offer letter/contract (must be signed by company and employee)
  2. Copy of LMIA
  3. Proof of Qualifications
  4. Passport
  5. CV
  6. Reference
  7. Police certificate
Is there any other documentation we need to provide?

Thanks in advance of your help
Old Jun 11th 2018, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to Canada With LMIA

Originally Posted by Katepatz17
Hi everyone,

Just looking for some advice and sorry if this has already been asked. I just to make sure we have all the documents we need ahead of me and husband and 2 dogs leaving the UK on the 4th August. My husband has an approved LMIA and job offer. I am just applying for an open visa and I am really struggling with what information we need to provide to get our visas at the airport in Vancouver?

What I have found so far is -
  1. Job offer letter/contract (must be signed by company and employee)
  2. Copy of LMIA
  3. Proof of Qualifications
  4. Passport
  5. CV
  6. Reference
  7. Police certificate
Is there any other documentation we need to provide?

Thanks in advance of your help
Hi.
My husband and I were in a fairly similar situation a year & a half ago though his job is LMIA exempt but we just had the following:

1) official letter showing job was LMIA exempt
2) contract from employer that had to state length of contract & salary.
3) marriage certificate
4) certificate of husbands PhD (his job was a post-doc so needed that to back up the contract from employer)
5) passport

We had CV but they didn’t care & didn’t look. We didn’t have a police cert or references either- never got asked for them.
All they cared about was the obviously the passports, job contract, the LMIA exemption & our marriage certificate for my open work permit.

We then paid the $ for the permits & off we went. Was super easy. :-) have fun!
Old Jun 11th 2018, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by suzeandmatt

Hi.
My husband and I were in a fairly similar situation a year & a half ago though his job is LMIA exempt but we just had the following:

1) official letter showing job was LMIA exempt
2) contract from employer that had to state length of contract & salary.
3) marriage certificate
4) certificate of husbands PhD (his job was a post-doc so needed that to back up the contract from employer)
5) passport

We had CV but they didn’t care & didn’t look. We didn’t have a police cert or references either- never got asked for them.
All they cared about was the obviously the passports, job contract, the LMIA exemption & our marriage certificate for my open work permit.

We then paid the $ for the permits & off we went. Was super easy. :-) have fun!

Hi Suze,

Thank you for your reply, I had started to panic (trying to get as much information together as possible). Hearing about your experience has given me some piece of mind that it will be very straight forward.

Thank you again
Old Jun 11th 2018, 5:00 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Just as a gentle reminder, you won't be getting Visa's when you arrive, you will be getting Permits - a Work Permit for your husband and an Open Work Permit for you (you can read the requirements here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...mit-types.html ) or if you don't qualify for one, ask for a Visitor Record (rather than the stamp in your passport) as you will need it in order to get a driving license, healthcare (once you qualify) etc. Don't forget the paperwork for the dogs!

Old Jun 12th 2018, 2:20 am
BE Enthusiast

suzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Katepatz17
Hi Suze,

Thank you for your reply, I had started to panic (trying to get as much information together as possible). Hearing about your experience has given me some piece of mind that it will be very straight forward.

Thank you again
Yeah I panicked a fair bit too- given that technically come the border they could still say “nope” it was pretty worrisome. We flew into calgary and it was 9pm, we then waited 3 hours to get seen to, and we were exhausted by that point. The guy we saw was great, I simply handed him a folder full of all the right stuff, he acknowledged that he knew we were exhausted and made some jokes, took only 20mins in total for him to do what he needed to do then for us to go and pay for the permits then we were out the door. I worried for nothing.
Just have everything to hand. The officer we saw was pleasantly surprised that I literally handed him a plastic wallet with everything he needed inside- he said it’s usually people missing things/scurrying through their bags pulling random bits of paper out.
My husband of course had no idea of what was required and simply rocked up. He was a lot less worried on the flight than I was. Hahaha :-)

Have fun!!
Old Jun 12th 2018, 9:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by suzeandmatt

Yeah I panicked a fair bit too- given that technically come the border they could still say “nope” it was pretty worrisome. We flew into calgary and it was 9pm, we then waited 3 hours to get seen to, and we were exhausted by that point. The guy we saw was great, I simply handed him a folder full of all the right stuff, he acknowledged that he knew we were exhausted and made some jokes, took only 20mins in total for him to do what he needed to do then for us to go and pay for the permits then we were out the door. I worried for nothing.
Just have everything to hand. The officer we saw was pleasantly surprised that I literally handed him a plastic wallet with everything he needed inside- he said it’s usually people missing things/scurrying through their bags pulling random bits of paper out.
My husband of course had no idea of what was required and simply rocked up. He was a lot less worried on the flight than I was. Hahaha :-)

Have fun!!
glad it isn’t just me that is over organised I have a folder for everything 😀 thanks you again