Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Does PR medical include drugs test?

Does PR medical include drugs test?

Old Jul 15th 2013, 6:11 am
Just Joined

westernshore is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Does PR medical include drugs test?

Originally Posted by siouxie
You may be asked if you have ever taken illegal drugs during the medical.

If you have ever received a caution or been prosecuted for possession of weed (or anything else) and it shows on your ACPO then you should be extremely careful how you answer that question.

You should answer truthfully, but be prepared to possibly be sent to a psychologist or psychiatrist for evaluation at a later date. If you do, they are likely to ask you to submit to drug testing.

As an example, my son had a caution and a prosecution for possession (minuscule amounts - less than $10 worth) but because they showed on his ACPO when he was asked that question at the medical he was honest and said that he had imbibed on infrequent occasions as a teenager but no longer did. He was sent for psychiatric evaluation to ascertain whether he was addicted and likely to be a danger to the public. He was asked by the psychiatrist to undergo drug testing, which he refused on the grounds that CIC Medical Division had not specified or requested that. Thankfully he 'passed' the evaluation and is now a PR, but it was a very worrying time and added several months onto an already long and drawn out process.

Thanks for this, its really helpful.
Old Jul 15th 2013, 6:13 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by yoyoyo
Thanks, when I said any information, I meant with specific regard to the CIC medical!
Old Jul 15th 2013, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

newstart187 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was not asked if I had ever taken illegal drugs.
I can't recall if they asked if I was currently taking illegal drugs
I'm 99% sure they don't test for drugs.

Also remember someone could've legally taken drugs while in the Dam so any omission of taking drugs does not automatically show a disregard for the law.
Old Jul 15th 2013, 10:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
I believe that drug testing is far more widespread in industry in the US and Canada than in the UK.
While drug testing in the US is very common, and for some jobs it makes sense like those in a safety sensitive position, in other jobs like retail at Target or a fast food joint they make no sense, but pretty much all big companies in the US require a drug test these days.

I've been in Canada for 10 years almost and even when I worked in safety sensitive positions there was and have been no drug tests. Not saying they don't exist, but I haven't found a company yet who tested for drugs.
Old Jul 15th 2013, 4:59 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newstart187
I was not asked if I had ever taken illegal drugs.
I can't recall if they asked if I was currently taking illegal drugs
I'm 99% sure they don't test for drugs.

Also remember someone could've legally taken drugs while in the Dam so any omission of taking drugs does not automatically show a disregard for the law.
That is suprising as it has been one of the questions on the DMP forms for years, though perhaps they have stopped asking 'or taken drugs' part now.

"Have you ever been ADDICTED to alcohol or a drug, or taken drugs illegally" http://www.scribd.com/doc/51437055/C...calReportForms

They even have a section in the psychiatric disorders pdf for panel physicians about substance abuse: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/departm...conditions.pdf
Old Jul 15th 2013, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

I stand corrected then. Having said that the doctor told me I would be very lucky if I got in as i was classed excessive demand and ordered more tests for an additional cost despite me explaining I was exempt. So the whole thing was not an overly pleasant experience. Sorry if anything was misleading, I was just trying to help!

The OP should be honest and depending on what type of visa it may or may not have much of an impact on their application. While my experience was not nice being basically dismissed when I said I was excessive demand exempt, I passed and I was open about health issues (non drug).

Last edited by newstart187; Jul 15th 2013 at 6:58 pm.
Old Jul 15th 2013, 7:03 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I stand corrected then. Having said that the doctor told me I would be very lucky if I got in as i was classed excessive demand and ordered more tests for an additional cost despite me explaining I was exempt. So the whole thing was not an overly pleasant experience.
There is a difference between being excessive demand exempt and being found to be inadmissible for being a danger to the public health or safety.

Whilst you can't be refused (as spouse or dependent) on excessive demand reasons - i.e. the costs of medication or treatment being above that allowed as an average - you can be refused if you are found to be a danger to public health or safety.

I questioned the same thing, lol, and that was the answer I got from CIC medical division.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...ppendix-02.asp

6.3 Applicants identified as being excessive demand exempt may require further investigation to determine whether they present a risk to the public health or safety of Canadians. Active tuberculosis and untreated syphilis are examples of medical conditions that present a risk to the public health in Canada. Conditions that pose a threat to public safety in Canada might include:

certain impulsive sociopathic behaviour disorders
some aberrant sexual disorders such as pedophilia
certain paranoid states
some organic brain syndromes associated with violence or risk of harm to others
applicants with substance abuse leading to antisocial behaviour such as violence, impaired driving, or other types of hostile, disruptive behaviour
Old Jul 15th 2013, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

I was told I would put excessive demand on the Canadian healthcare system (by the doctor doing the exam) due to things like being overweight. Unless I plan to triple in size and sit on someone I don't see how that will be a threat to the public.
Old Jul 15th 2013, 8:12 pm
Banned

I was told I would put excessive demand on the Canadian healthcare system (by the doctor doing the exam) due to things like being overweight. Unless I plan to triple in size and sit on someone I don't see how that will be a threat to the public.

I think you should, just to prove them wrong, lol.

A doctor who didn't seem to know what he was doing, obviously.

Sorry you had to deal with that!

Old Jul 15th 2013, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

Absolutely but all is well that ends well.
Old Jul 15th 2013, 8:37 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Doctor obviously not quite up to speed there.

Pretty sure they even let HIV cases through on spousal applications provided it's being "managed".
Old Jul 16th 2013, 5:54 pm
Just Joined

Too overweight for Canada... clearly he has never been to Canada.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 5:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by siouxie
That is suprising as it has been one of the questions on the DMP forms for years, though perhaps they have stopped asking 'or taken drugs' part now.

"Have you ever been ADDICTED to alcohol or a drug, or taken drugs illegally" http://www.scribd.com/doc/51437055/C...calReportForms

They even have a section in the psychiatric disorders pdf for panel physicians about substance abuse: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/departm...conditions.pdf
Thanks, that suggests it is both screened for and tested for.