Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Does PR medical include drugs test?

Does PR medical include drugs test?

Old Jul 11th 2013, 5:35 pm
Just Joined

westernshore is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Does PR medical include drugs test?

Hi,

I've just been wondering, when a person takes a medical for a PR application, does it include testing for illegal drugs such as the one that starts with a c and ends in an s?

Couldn't find any information anywhere on it...

Thanks
Old Jul 11th 2013, 5:38 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does PR medical include drugs test?

Originally Posted by westernshore
Hi,

I've just been wondering, when a person takes a medical for a PR application, does it include testing for illegal drugs such as the one that starts with a c and ends in an s?

Thanks
I assume that you're headed for BC?
Old Jul 11th 2013, 6:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Im assuming he does it and is wondering if he takes the medical and they discover it will they refuse him.
We could let him sweat for a few days and then give the answer or is that being evil?
Old Jul 11th 2013, 7:23 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Im assuming he does it and is wondering if he takes the medical and they discover it will they refuse him.
We could let him sweat for a few days and then give the answer or is that being evil?
Doesn't the said test, which may or may not have to be taken, detect traces as far as 30 days or more back !
Old Jul 11th 2013, 8:28 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
Doesn't the said test, which may or may not have to be taken, detect traces as far as 30 days or more back !
I thought it was 30 years.
Old Jul 12th 2013, 7:40 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks
They take urine and blood as part of the test...not sure precisely what they check for. Think it's diabetes, syphilis and HIV but not much beyond that.

Best idea is not to break the law in the first place.

Last edited by orly; Jul 12th 2013 at 7:43 pm.
Old Jul 12th 2013, 7:59 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

You may be asked if you have ever taken illegal drugs during the medical.

If you have ever received a caution or been prosecuted for possession of weed (or anything else) and it shows on your ACPO then you should be extremely careful how you answer that question.

You should answer truthfully, but be prepared to possibly be sent to a psychologist or psychiatrist for evaluation at a later date. If you do, they are likely to ask you to submit to drug testing.

As an example, my son had a caution and a prosecution for possession (minuscule amounts - less than $10 worth) but because they showed on his ACPO when he was asked that question at the medical he was honest and said that he had imbibed on infrequent occasions as a teenager but no longer did. He was sent for psychiatric evaluation to ascertain whether he was addicted and likely to be a danger to the public. He was asked by the psychiatrist to undergo drug testing, which he refused on the grounds that CIC Medical Division had not specified or requested that. Thankfully he 'passed' the evaluation and is now a PR, but it was a very worrying time and added several months onto an already long and drawn out process.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 12th 2013 at 9:40 pm.
Old Jul 12th 2013, 9:35 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks
I eat CarrotS and I was fine. Don't worry, keep off veggies for a few weeks and u be ok,
Old Jul 13th 2013, 8:49 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all for the humour and advice!

Thanks for sharing that, its really helpful and I appreciate it. The affected person never had any caution or record but would test positive at the moment. Based on what happens if you answer yes, I'm thinking that person might be best to undertake a heavy exercise regime and drink lots of orange juice for a month, self test his urine beforehand to check its negative and then answer no. I know honesty is the best policy and all that but we can't afford an additional several months spent worrying

That is reassuring, I've read 2-4 weeks to flush it out, I'm thinking with serious exercise and orange juice one could pull off a clean test after 4. Did you get asked the question?

Yeah sweating might actually help!
Actually Cannabinoids, the active part of cannabis, are fat soluble, and the body does store some in the fatty tissues and this is why it remains in the body for so long, even home testing doesn't help as you just might do a negative test, then burn off some fat and release more into the blood stream and then into the urine, and be positive again. Exercise might well help as long as it is fat burning.
I've seen all thiws happen as when I was working I used to do a lot of drug testing, for drug treatment agencies, prisons, private firms which had a 'no drugs' policy, usually those producing parts in the UK for US automotive companies, as the US companies demanded all employees, even those producing parts in the UK, must be drug free.
I believe that drug testing is far more widespread in industry in the US and Canada than in the UK.
Old Jul 13th 2013, 9:28 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Actually Cannabinoids, the active part of cannabis, are fat soluble, and the body does store some in the fatty tissues and this is why it remains in the body for so long, even home testing doesn't help as you just might do a negative test, then burn off some fat and release more into the blood stream and then into the urine, and be positive again. Exercise might well help as long as it is fat burning.
I've seen all thiws happen as when I was working I used to do a lot of drug testing, for drug treatment agencies, prisons, private firms which had a 'no drugs' policy, usually those producing parts in the UK for US automotive companies, as the US companies demanded all employees, even those producing parts in the UK, must be drug free.
I believe that drug testing is far more widespread in industry in the US and Canada than in the UK.
Yeah thats true... I suppose it's foolish to try to hoodwink anyone, answering yes is the best way to go.
Old Jul 13th 2013, 9:54 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by orly
They take urine and blood as part of the test...not sure precisely what they check for. Think it's diabetes, syphilis and HIV but not much beyond that.

Best idea is not to break the law in the first place.
I know, but there are medical applications...
Old Jul 13th 2013, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

MrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond repute

It's not listed on the things they test you for. They would have to list it if they were going to test you on it.
Old Jul 13th 2013, 3:11 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

I know, but there are medical applications...
Won't be hard for you to produce the paperwork showing you've been approved for medicinal use then.
Old Jul 14th 2013, 1:23 am
Forum Regular

yoyoyo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Thanks
check it out...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_test
Old Jul 15th 2013, 6:09 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by magnumpi
I eat CarrotS and I was fine. Don't worry, keep off veggies for a few weeks and u be ok,
Did they test for it, and did they ask the question?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.