Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Does my CEC application without a reference letter stand a chance?

Does my CEC application without a reference letter stand a chance?

Old Sep 2nd 2013, 3:02 am
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 3
Rostarr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Does my CEC application without a reference letter stand a chance?

Hi, first time poster here. To cut a long story short, my ex-boss would not give me a basic reference letter that I could use for my CEC permanent residency application. After weeks of trying to talk him round I gave up and sent the application without one. All the other necessary paperwork is in the application, its just missing a reference letter off my ex employer. Has my application even got a chance or had I best start planning for another route into Canada? Thanks in advance for anyone's help.
Rostarr is offline  
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 4:06 am
  #2  
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
PMM's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 9,708
PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does my CEC application without a reference letter stand a chance?

Hi


Originally Posted by Rostarr
Hi, first time poster here. To cut a long story short, my ex-boss would not give me a basic reference letter that I could use for my CEC permanent residency application. After weeks of trying to talk him round I gave up and sent the application without one. All the other necessary paperwork is in the application, its just missing a reference letter off my ex employer. Has my application even got a chance or had I best start planning for another route into Canada? Thanks in advance for anyone's help.
1. Unless you can get a job experience letter that outlines your duties, salary, start=finish dates, then your CEC application is probably a non starter.
2. If you had a supervisor, they maybe able to give you a letter that at least outlines your duties and responsibilities.
PMM is offline  
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 8:00 pm
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 3
Rostarr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Does my CEC application without a reference letter stand a chance?

I asked the office manager if she could sign a basic reference letter for me. But the first thing she did was go to the boss and he said no one at this company is going to sign one for me.

My ex-boss had previously signed a job contract for me, which stated my duties and my salary. But it was dated half way into my employment and not from the beginning. Not sure if that has any bearing on the situation. I have pay stubs dating back to over 1 year a go for the dates. I have a lot of supporting documentation.

I was wondering if the system is so rigid that without a tick in the 'reference letter' column is it an automatic rejection? or do they review the entire application with supporting documents and take the whole case into account before making a decision?

It's pretty frustrating that I could be rejected for permanent residency for a reference letter that my ex boss is at no legal obligation to sign and the only reason he doesn't want to sign is because he doesn't want his company to be held accountable for anything.

Thanks for the quick response yesterday.
Rostarr is offline  
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 11:13 pm
  #4  
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 12,830
Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does my CEC application without a reference letter stand a chance?

Originally Posted by Rostarr
I asked the office manager if she could sign a basic reference letter for me. But the first thing she did was go to the boss and he said no one at this company is going to sign one for me.

My ex-boss had previously signed a job contract for me, which stated my duties and my salary. But it was dated half way into my employment and not from the beginning. Not sure if that has any bearing on the situation. I have pay stubs dating back to over 1 year a go for the dates. I have a lot of supporting documentation.

I was wondering if the system is so rigid that without a tick in the 'reference letter' column is it an automatic rejection? or do they review the entire application with supporting documents and take the whole case into account before making a decision?

It's pretty frustrating that I could be rejected for permanent residency for a reference letter that my ex boss is at no legal obligation to sign and the only reason he doesn't want to sign is because he doesn't want his company to be held accountable for anything.

Thanks for the quick response yesterday.
If you have an employment contract with responsibilities on it, ask for a letter just stating your job title, hiring date and finishing date only. If they refuse this as well, you could seek the advice of an employment lawyer and get them to write and ask for one.

http://www.toronto-employmentlawyer....-bad-reference

These are the only references we give as we are in a litigation happy society.

Your record of employment would (should) also have your hire and finish date on it if you have left your job, that combined with your contract of employment may be helpful if the employer refuses.

Last edited by Aviator; Sep 2nd 2013 at 11:15 pm.
Aviator is offline  
Old Sep 4th 2013, 12:23 am
  #5  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 3
Rostarr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Does my CEC application without a reference letter stand a chance?

Hi Aviator, I could look for an employment lawyer, but i know my ex-boss won't budge on providing a letter for me. He feels if he signs the reference letter he's going to be held accountable if anything goes wrong with the immigration process and I think he's nervous of Service Canada looking deeper into his business.

I just looked at my employment contract. It has my work duties, wages and hours I worked in the contract. It doesn't state the dates that I worked, but I have supporting documents in the form of pay stubs dating back to March 2011.

To me that covers all the bases of a reference letter. The problem is, it's not a reference letter and I'm afraid the immigration officer will just tick the 'no reference letter' box and call it a day, instead of taking the whole application with its supporting documents into account.

One last thing, Do immigration call the your boss/ex-boss to go over the application? or do they take the application at face value?

Thanks again for your help
Rostarr is offline  
Old Sep 4th 2013, 12:38 am
  #6  
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 12,830
Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does my CEC application without a reference letter stand a chance?

Originally Posted by Rostarr
Hi Aviator, I could look for an employment lawyer, but i know my ex-boss won't budge on providing a letter for me. He feels if he signs the reference letter he's going to be held accountable if anything goes wrong with the immigration process and I think he's nervous of Service Canada looking deeper into his business.
Refusing to give a reference can also leave one with a problem if it hinders an employees chance of getting work and leave one just as open to scrutiny and possible lawsuits. A brief one with job title and dates of employment is all we do for all employees.
Aviator is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.