Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Docs to London Sept 2010 onwards - anyone got AOR?

Docs to London Sept 2010 onwards - anyone got AOR?

Old May 24th 2013, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

superwench will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Docs to London Sept 2010 onwards - anyone got AOR?

Originally Posted by woz718
We've been waiting for over 3 years now and despite assurace of receiving a response from CICC by May 2013, still nothing. Just expecting the usual hold on for another 12 months....so today I submitted an application for state sponsorship to South Australia. If the Canadians don't want us, maybe the Australians do. Fed up with hanging on to our dreams by a thread.
I think you summed it up. I am sick of waiting. We applied in 2011 and are fed up. I think Australia would be a better option for us now. How is the process for it? Just the same style as Canada's? I wonder how long it would take to get an Australian visa.
Old May 24th 2013, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

99problems will become famous soon enough99problems will become famous soon enough

I looked into it and went to an expo in Excel/Docklands a couple of years ago - was advised about a year. They are a little more open minded on job apps from abroad - you can get phone interviews etc
Old May 24th 2013, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

Location: unfortunately Edinburgh, but dreaming of a better life.
woz718 has a brilliant futurewoz718 has a brilliant futurewoz718 has a brilliant futurewoz718 has a brilliant futurewoz718 has a brilliant futurewoz718 has a brilliant futurewoz718 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by superwench
I think you summed it up. I am sick of waiting. We applied in 2011 and are fed up. I think Australia would be a better option for us now. How is the process for it? Just the same style as Canada's? I wonder how long it would take to get an Australian visa.
Well we've applied for state sponsorship (similar to pnp but no need for job offer) and that should take 8-12 weeks. You have to submit an expression of interest to oz Immigration which you can do at the same time and once you get state sponsorship, DIAC (like CICC) invite you to submit an application for your visa. It may take up to 12 months but at least we know the Aussies are efficient and it won't get prolonged. I'll be honest our heart is perhaps still with Canada but I'm frustrated at the way they have taken our money and are just sitting their playing with our lives. We can't even get that money back. It's all so wrong. Quite like the idea of a g & t on the verandah after work watching the sun go down. Knowing our luck, we'll get both visas thorough at the same time and then have to choose and not know where to go!
Old May 24th 2013, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

99problems will become famous soon enough99problems will become famous soon enough

the truth is Canada and Australia are/will compete for the best skilled workers. Canada is behind as the worst thing about them is bureaucracy - it doesn't even help them. We see the barriers and see it as a positive (for us) as the labour shortage will become acute in the next 5 years meaning plenty of internal opportunities and upward pressure on wages. However, for anyone still waiting on a visa its ridiculous - I agree that if you have provided all necessary docs they should pledge to turn your app around inside 12 months or less. People's lives move on faster than this....
Old May 28th 2013, 6:51 am
Forum Regular

Location: Sheffield UK - Victoria BC bound (one day, in a galaxy far, far away...)
witchileiz is a jewel in the roughwitchileiz is a jewel in the roughwitchileiz is a jewel in the roughwitchileiz is a jewel in the roughwitchileiz is a jewel in the rough

I'll be honest our heart is perhaps still with Canada but I'm frustrated at the way they have taken our money and are just sitting their playing with our lives. We can't even get that money back. It's all so wrong. Quite like the idea of a g & t on the verandah after work watching the sun go down. Knowing our luck, we'll get both visas thorough at the same time and then have to choose and not know where to go!
Totally understand, Woz and feel similar. We could get into Aus easier too, as OH's family are over there, though not where we want to go. We have now given up on getting to Can this year (unless we get some amazing job offer _ unlikely), as I wanted to get there in time for DD to start school in Sept. No chance of that, so we have decided to waste heaps of money on a real recce trip this year. No hols for last 7 years, so reckon we are due one!

Hoping we can pick up and go late Spring next year now. I think if we don't hear by Xmas this year, we may also throw the towel in. So sad to say this. But life is for living, not waiting and holding off. It is happening now, not tomorrow/next year. So I strangely feel more relaxed now that I am not living thinking "any time now, we will need to be ready to move...".

Good luck Woz. Let's see what happens with Canada visa/Aus visa - I imagine Aus will pip the post in the race, but who knows what will happen with Canada... I think it is good that you have made alt plans.

All the best
Old Jun 10th 2013, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

woz718 has a brilliant futurewoz718 has a brilliant futurewoz718 has a brilliant futurewoz718 has a brilliant futurewoz718 has a brilliant futurewoz718 has a brilliant futurewoz718 has a brilliant future

Well after submitting and receiving state sponsorship to Oz in less than 3 weeks after deciding that our dreams to emigrate to Canada would never materialise, we received an update from CIC today.

"Thank you for your enquiry. We are aware that it has been 12 months since we have contacted you. We are currently dealing with a high number of applications. You will be hearing from us shortly.

We thank you for your continued patience and understanding.

Now, that's thrown me as I was expecting the usual don't contact us for 18 minths letter and has thrown us back in to turmoil. Hwever, the big question is....what do they class as shortly!?. I guess we still pursue other avenues rather than hang on to the feint hope that "shortly" is indeed my definition rather than theirs!! Hopefully this letter will give some glimmer of hope to others on a similar timeline. At this rate it'll come down to which country we can secure a job in first once we have visas!!

Wozzie.
Old Oct 28th 2013, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

Well after submitting and receiving state sponsorship to Oz in less than 3 weeks after deciding that our dreams to emigrate to Canada would never materialise, we received an update from CIC today.

"Thank you for your enquiry. We are aware that it has been 12 months since we have contacted you. We are currently dealing with a high number of applications. You will be hearing from us shortly.

We thank you for your continued patience and understanding.

Now, that's thrown me as I was expecting the usual don't contact us for 18 minths letter and has thrown us back in to turmoil. Hwever, the big question is....what do they class as shortly!?. I guess we still pursue other avenues rather than hang on to the feint hope that "shortly" is indeed my definition rather than theirs!! Hopefully this letter will give some glimmer of hope to others on a similar timeline. At this rate it'll come down to which country we can secure a job in first once we have visas!!

Wozzie.
Well it would seem my theory of a short wait was correct....4 months later and nada, zilch, nothing. Not to worry though as we received our visas for Australia yesterday after a total processing time of 4 WHOLE MONTHS, good luck with all your plans guys but for us, it's time to pursue a different course.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

Salmanizak is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All. To update, I have finally got my PR visas and am set bound to travel on Feb 4th. I plan to launch my immigration through Toronto and apply for necessary documents/cards from there. I have few queries in this regard, and would like to hear from others as well particularly who have launched their immigration in ON (Toronto):

1. What is the exact process at airport after landing?
2. What I know is that as step one Landing papers are checked/signed, PR card applied, SIN applied and health card applied; are all these procedures launched at airport at same time? is there anything else?
3. If not at the same time, in how much time can one get free with putting-up applications for these cards/documents?
4. Details of any expenses/fees involved at these application stages?
5. Is it compulsory to provide an ON based address or I can provide a Montreal address also?
6. Please elaborate any precautions or additional requirements to be ready with for these requirements?

Once I have applied for these documents, can I go to stay with my relatives in Montreal for 1-2 weeks?

Due to shortage of time, would appreciate some quick responses. Many thanks.

Regards,
Salman
Old Jan 31st 2014, 10:42 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Salmanizak
Hi All. To update, I have finally got my PR visas and am set bound to travel on Feb 4th. I plan to launch my immigration through Toronto and apply for necessary documents/cards from there. I have few queries in this regard, and would like to hear from others as well particularly who have launched their immigration in ON (Toronto):

Go to the passport control, show them your passport and tell them that you are landing in the Immigration sense rather than that you've just got of the aeroplane. (They'll spookily know that already).

2. What I know is that as step one Landing papers are checked/signed, PR card applied, SIN applied and health card applied; are all these procedures launched at airport at same time? is there anything else?

No. You land and can apply for your PR card at the airport. The rest is done at a Service Canada office elsewhere.

3. If not at the same time, in how much time can one get free with putting-up applications for these cards/documents?

No idea what this means.

AFAIK, none.
5. Is it compulsory to provide an ON based address or I can provide a Montreal address also?

Fine.

6. Please elaborate any precautions or additional requirements to be ready with for these requirements?

Don't panic and don't forget your towel.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 5:58 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Salmanizak

Once I have applied for these documents, can I go to stay with my relatives in Montreal for 1-2 weeks?

Due to shortage of time, would appreciate some quick responses. Many thanks.

Regards,
Salman
1. If you don't have a CSQ from Quebec, DONT supply a Quebec address, there is a good chance that you will be refused "landing"