Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

DO I NEED A CANADIAN POLICE CERTIFICATE?

DO I NEED A CANADIAN POLICE CERTIFICATE?

Old Jan 11th 2010, 8:29 pm

dunniflat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default DO I NEED A CANADIAN POLICE CERTIFICATE?

I apologise in advance if this is already in the wiki somewhere.
I am just confusing myself with information at the moment.

We are now into our third year here in canada and still trying to organise our paperwork for immigration.I am sending away for u.k police checks again from acpo because my initial checks will apparently be invalid (although we have never returned to the u.k.....its nuts)....but im unclear as to wether we need canadian police checks also.
Can someone please fill me in, or post me the appropriate link with info please?

Thankyou
Old Jan 11th 2010, 8:33 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DO I NEED A CANADIAN POLICE CERTIFICATE?

As you have lived in canada recently, then yes you do.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

chanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond repute

as far as I know, they are not needed because they can run a quick check themselves. they only ask for a police report from canada if your name is flagged e.g. someone with the same or similar name has a record.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 8:44 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chanceUK
as far as I know, they are not needed because they can run a quick check themselves. they only ask for a police report from canada if your name is flagged e.g. someone with the same or similar name has a record.
Nope, they need the fingerprint form and all that to do it. You have to send it off to Ottawa(?)
Old Jan 11th 2010, 8:47 pm

iaink ..would you mind finding me a link with info about how,where etc for this police check?

Thanks for replying so quickly iaink and chanceuk!
Old Jan 11th 2010, 8:51 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by dunniflat
iaink ..would you mind finding me a link with info about how,where etc for this police check?

Thanks for replying so quickly iaink and chanceuk!
Actually, chanceUK was right, it looks to me that a canadian cert is no longer needed (for skilled worker at least).... Sorry!

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...uides/EG73.asp

If its a spousal sponsorship it looks like the police check is required...

Last edited by iaink; Jan 11th 2010 at 8:56 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 8:58 pm

Thanks again........confirmed i dont need a canadian police check unless they require one!
thankgoodness
Old Jan 11th 2010, 9:27 pm

lancashirebird is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks again........confirmed i dont need a canadian police check unless they require one!
thankgoodness
No hun you dont need one BB sent hers of the other month and she wasnt asked for canadian one, just her uk one
When i read mine, it doesnt ask for canadian one either, so just the uk one is needed, unless you have lived anywhere else since the age of 18 yrs
Old Jan 11th 2010, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by lancashirebird
No hun you dont need one BB sent hers of the other month and she wasnt asked for canadian one, just her uk one
When i read mine, it doesnt ask for canadian one either, so just the uk one is needed, unless you have lived anywhere else since the age of 18 yrs
cheers G..got that now!x
Old Jan 11th 2010, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

mesh2005 has a brilliant futuremesh2005 has a brilliant futuremesh2005 has a brilliant futuremesh2005 has a brilliant futuremesh2005 has a brilliant futuremesh2005 has a brilliant future

I apologise in advance if this is already in the wiki somewhere.
I am just confusing myself with information at the moment.

We are now into our third year here in canada and still trying to organise our paperwork for immigration.I am sending away for u.k police checks again from acpo because my initial checks will apparently be invalid (although we have never returned to the u.k.....its nuts)....but im unclear as to wether we need canadian police checks also.
Can someone please fill me in, or post me the appropriate link with info please?

Thankyou
It is true that the website does not ask for n police certificate from RCMP, but the immigration office may ask you for one if you are or were in Canada.