mother in canada!!please help!

Old Jan 11th 2010, 9:46 pm
Just Joined

lulublu is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation mother in canada!!please help!

hi all!! u lot give fab advice on here!! so here i go again!!

right, im single with a three year old daughter, with fathers permission to take her with me,and a qualified nurse. i am wanting my mum who is 57 and retired to come with me and live with me and be my daughters main carer while i work full time. she will live with me and will not in any way rely on the state. Now, i am being told totally conflicting things. some say that is fine i just need to be a permanent resident and sponsor her but she could come with me from day one, stay for 6 month then go over to the U.S border and come back again..the keep doing this until her sponsor ship comes thru. on the other hand we are now being told this can not happen for 4 year!! this is heart breaking! if i can not have my mam i can not go..at all! any advice or info, wud be so appreciated!!!

thanks for reading! xx
Old Jan 11th 2010, 9:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: mother in canada!!please help!

Originally Posted by lulublu
hi all!! u lot give fab advice on here!! so here i go again!!

right, im single with a three year old daughter, with fathers permission to take her with me,and a qualified nurse. i am wanting my mum who is 57 and retired to come with me and live with me and be my daughters main carer while i work full time. she will live with me and will not in any way rely on the state. Now, i am being told totally conflicting things. some say that is fine i just need to be a permanent resident and sponsor her but she could come with me from day one, stay for 6 month then go over to the U.S border and come back again..the keep doing this until her sponsor ship comes thru. on the other hand we are now being told this can not happen for 4 year!! this is heart breaking! if i can not have my mam i can not go..at all! any advice or info, wud be so appreciated!!!

thanks for reading! xx
Hi there,

Does your mother have any childcare qualification or paid childcare work experience? Or would she qualify for a visa in her own right (skilled worker, maybe investor if she's not short of a few quid, etc)?

If not, then the only way she can accompany you is on a visitor visa. No problem for up to 6 months (she may not even automatically get 6 months, note it's up to 6 months at the discretion of the immigration officer when she enters Canada). But renewing it indefinitely is going to be tricky. She'd have to prove she's only visiting (unlikely she'll be able to show that if she's moved over there with you), and I have never heard of anybody getting more than one extension to a visitor visa.

Plus bear in mind that as a visitor, she wouldn't be eligible for healthcare or similar, so would need very good insurance.

It does take approx 4-5 years to sponsor a parent I'm afraid, no way around that. Your only option is for her to just visit you (perhaps 6 months in Canada, then 6 back in the UK?), and you get paid childcare for the times she's in the UK.

I can't think of any other way around it. Note the response that PMM gave to your thread...........http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...11#post8214311 He is one of our regular experts.

Edit: if you really won't go without your mother, then have you considered another country? I have no idea, but Oz or NZ may let parents go with you on your visa?

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 11th 2010 at 9:58 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud of
Default Re: mother in canada!!please help!

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi there,

Does your mother have any childcare qualification or paid childcare work experience? Or would she qualify for a visa in her own right (skilled worker, maybe investor if she's not short of a few quid, etc)?

If not, then the only way she can accompany you is on a visitor visa. No problem for up to 6 months (she may not even automatically get 6 months, note it's up to 6 months at the discretion of the immigration officer when she enters Canada). But renewing it indefinitely is going to be tricky. She'd have to prove she's only visiting (unlikely she'll be able to show that if she's moved over there with you), and I have never heard of anybody getting more than one extension to a visitor visa.

Plus bear in mind that as a visitor, she wouldn't be eligible for healthcare or similar, so would need very good insurance.

It does take approx 4-5 years to sponsor a parent I'm afraid, no way around that. Your only option is for her to just visit you (perhaps 6 months in Canada, then 6 back in the UK?), and you get paid childcare for the times she's in the UK.

I can't think of any other way around it. Note the response that PMM gave to your thread...........http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...11#post8214311 He is one of our regular experts.

Edit: if you really won't go without your mother, then have you considered another country? I have no idea, but Oz or NZ may let parents go with you on your visa?
From experience: it would be wise (if Canada is truly your dream) and u want your Mum with you, to get her health insurance now whilst she is in good health. Try to get international coverage renewable yearly AND DONT FORGET to pay the renewals on time. I say this because we had delayed paying the renewal on my parents international health insurance policy, and at age 65, the insurer would not accept the renewal even though the policy was held for the previous 10 years without any claims whatsoever. None of the insurance companies want risk that comes with age, but at the same time will renew long standing policies unless given an opportunity to deny coverage irrespective of the applicant's prospective health condition.