dependant children

Old Aug 29th 2008, 11:06 am
BE Enthusiast

shazza69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default dependant children

just need to claify this really. what do you class as a dependant child..my son is 18 and in a part time job but still living at home, because he is working does this mean he is not dependant...
Old Aug 29th 2008, 12:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: dependant children

Doesn't sound like he'd be classed as a dependent child as he's not a full time student. According to the CIC website:

A son or daughter is dependent when the child:

is under the age of 22 and does not have a spouse or common-law partner
is a full-time student and is substantially dependent on a parent for financial support since before the age of 22, or since becoming a spouse or common-law partner (if this happened before age 22) or
is financially dependent on a parent since before the age of 22 because of a disability.

Hope that helps.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 12:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

thundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nice

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Doesn't sound like he'd be classed as a dependent child as he's not a full time student. According to the CIC website:

A son or daughter is dependent when the child:

is under the age of 22 and does not have a spouse or common-law partner

is a full-time student and is substantially dependent on a parent for financial support since before the age of 22, or since becoming a spouse or common-law partner (if this happened before age 22) or
is financially dependent on a parent since before the age of 22 because of a disability.

Hope that helps.
surely you've just contradicted yourself, the son is under 22 and as long as he's not married or living with his girlfriend (assuming not since he's still living at home) then he would be classed as a dependent. CIC don't seem to care whether he's working as long as he's not living with someone else (he would then be 'dependent' on them not his parents)

that's how i read it anyway.
good luck with your app
Old Aug 29th 2008, 12:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thundercat600
surely you've just contradicted yourself, the son is under 22 and as long as he's not married or living with his girlfriend (assuming not since he's still living at home) then he would be classed as a dependent. CIC don't seem to care whether he's working as long as he's not living with someone else (he would then be 'dependent' on them not his parents)

that's how i read it anyway.
good luck with your app
Seems we read it differently - I assumed he had to fit both i.e. no spouse and a full time student. Having said that, I'm very tired after a night with a teething baby and haven't had my quota of coffee yet today so may be reading it wrong!! It did seem odd to me as I thought most under 22 were counted as dependents but never really paid much attention before as it's not relevant to me!
Old Aug 29th 2008, 7:39 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Seems we read it differently - I assumed he had to fit both i.e. no spouse and a full time student. Having said that, I'm very tired after a night with a teething baby and haven't had my quota of coffee yet today so may be reading it wrong!! It did seem odd to me as I thought most under 22 were counted as dependents but never really paid much attention before as it's not relevant to me!
It's a bit easier to see the meaning if you read it the way it's expressed in the Wiki article called Dependent Child-Canada.

Hope baby's tooth finishes coming through soon and hope you recover soon.
x
Old Aug 29th 2008, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

shazza69 is an unknown quantity at this point

thank you judy the word 'or' certainly does make a difference...so my son will be ok thats good news....
Old Aug 29th 2008, 8:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
It's a bit easier to see the meaning if you read it the way it's expressed in the Wiki article called Dependent Child-Canada.

Hope baby's tooth finishes coming through soon and hope you recover soon.
x
Thanks Judy - and in return hope your upcoming move to Van Island goes well, look forward to hearing how you've settled in.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 1:29 am
BE Forum Addict

pennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond repute

Just one thing to consider.
Your son must be under 22 at the time of landing as a permenant resident (I think thats right) or certainly to the end of your processing to be classed as a dependent still or has to go into full time education before turning 22.
Our older son went to uni and did a 2 year foundation degree as he was 23 before we got our visas.

I may not have it completely right (I have forgotten so much now that its all over) but it is something to be aware of and maybe check out.