Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Deadline today for 1000s of temp. foreign workers

Deadline today for 1000s of temp. foreign workers

Old Apr 10th 2015, 11:15 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Deadline today for 1000s of temp. foreign workers

Bit late to this thread but anyway I predicted this years ago. Back around 2003 as I recall and I must have mentioned it on here at some point.

In October 2003 the CIC reduced the number of points from 75 to 67 for skilled workers, which led to a flood of applications. By the end of 2006 an enormous backlog developed, which led to the changes in 2008 and further changes in 2010 with quotas and whatnot. So as a result a lot more people went the TFW route and... were encouraged to do so by then minister Kenney because TFWs can be processed faster and then the applications for PR can be processed inside Canada.

So then there was TFW abuse and the CBC made a big stink about it and I was pretty sure in 2008 the whole TFW thing would end in a disaster, which it did.

All because back in 2003 they stupidly reduced the number of points for skilled worker from 75 to 67. Less people would have come in if they'd left it at 75 and thus the TFWs would have been more genuine TFWs, not people trying to change status to PR.

But I don't really have much sympathy, as the minister pointed out, "temporary" means exactly that. I've been in exactly the same situation working abroad and I knew what I was getting into. One of life's lessons, don't work anywhere on a work permit unless you really understand and accept the implications of it.
Old Apr 11th 2015, 12:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Do you apply the same logic to the businesses that close where you live, possibly, because those that live there purchase items from the US, because they are cheaper?
Those with limited incomes don't have the luxury to pay a premium to buy local which is why people go to the US for things. I can't fault people for that. If they can't afford something they need locally, why would you expect them to buy it locally?

Take the locally owned pet store, their prices are heavily inflated. The dog food we use is 37 dollars for a 5lb pound bag.

So I go to the chain store in town and buy the same bag for 22 dollars.

I'd love to support the locally owned company but how can I justify paying 15 more for the same thing?

I know the only reason the chain can maintain the pricing is because they have the ability to absorb price increases and likely get way better wholesale pricing because of volume they buy vs a small local store.

But that $15 I save can now go towards other things I need drawing out the limited funds we have.

Shopping locally is simply not an option most of the time for lower income brackets.

I buy very little in the US because of price, it's too much a hassle, and when I do buy something in the US, it's because I cannot find the item in question in the US.

Now if I am in the US for some reason, I will pick up items I have put off buying in Canada, generally because the selection is better there and some products again say Tillamook cheese is simply not available in Canada.
Old Apr 11th 2015, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Bit late to this thread but anyway I predicted this years ago. Back around 2003 as I recall and I must have mentioned it on here at some point.

In October 2003 the CIC reduced the number of points from 75 to 67 for skilled workers, which led to a flood of applications. By the end of 2006 an enormous backlog developed, which led to the changes in 2008 and further changes in 2010 with quotas and whatnot. So as a result a lot more people went the TFW route and... were encouraged to do so by then minister Kenney because TFWs can be processed faster and then the applications for PR can be processed inside Canada.

So then there was TFW abuse and the CBC made a big stink about it and I was pretty sure in 2008 the whole TFW thing would end in a disaster, which it did.

All because back in 2003 they stupidly reduced the number of points for skilled worker from 75 to 67. Less people would have come in if they'd left it at 75 and thus the TFWs would have been more genuine TFWs, not people trying to change status to PR.

But I don't really have much sympathy, as the minister pointed out, "temporary" means exactly that. I've been in exactly the same situation working abroad and I knew what I was getting into. One of life's lessons, don't work anywhere on a work permit unless you really understand and accept the implications of it.
I keep hearing this argument that temporary means temporary BUT the vast majority of jobs werent temporary, they were permanent jobs!
Every summer I see mexican farm workers in Safeway sending money home by Western Union,these guys are temporary workers ,they return home after the harvest season.Now you cant tell me someone working at McDs or Timmies is a temporary worker!?
Old Apr 11th 2015, 3:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neilcumming
I keep hearing this argument that temporary means temporary BUT the vast majority of jobs werent temporary, they were permanent jobs!
Every summer I see mexican farm workers in Safeway sending money home by Western Union,these guys are temporary workers ,they return home after the harvest season.Now you cant tell me someone working at McDs or Timmies is a temporary worker!?
I suppose the job is permanent, but the person filling it is not?
Old Apr 11th 2015, 3:53 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I suppose the job is permanent, but the person filling it is not?
Quite true. A job availability has nothing to do with ones immigration status. The two are quite separate and obvious.

A temp job last for a specific time frame, defined by the employer. A permanent job lasts as long as the person wants it or is allowed to work in Canada.
Old Apr 11th 2015, 5:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neilcumming
They shouldn't be - a LMIA won't be granted if the offer letter is for a permanent job, it must have an end date. Hence a Temp Work Permit. ;-)
Old Apr 11th 2015, 5:42 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
They shouldn't be - a LMIA won't be granted if the offer letter is for a permanent job, it must have an end date. Hence a Temp Work Permit. ;-)
That is where the government went awry with this program. They began to use the Temporary Foreign Worker Program for non-skilled jobs and many many were brought in for what were in fact permanent positions. This allowed business owners to make the availability of low cost low skill foreign workers a critical factor in their business plans, instead of hiring more expensive workers locally. And they were able to enforce unusual work schedules and other such practices to boot.
Years ago in Europe there were so-called "Guest Worker" programs to fill menial jobs such as street cleaning and many workers were brought in as temporary workers for such continuing positions. They had the same effect in that the temporary workers did not wish to leave and had even brought in their families, put children in school and so on. Quite understandably those workers wished to stay on and did so.