Confusion over work permit

Old Apr 8th 2015, 8:02 pm
Just Joined

clem20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Confusion over work permit

Hello

I want to apply for a work permit for one year from March 2016. I wish to work as an ESL teacher whilst my partner completes his commercial pilot licence.

However, upon perusal of visa options, it appears that I need to find a job before I come to Canada. Is this correct? IS THERE A WORKING VISA OPTION THAT ALLOWS ME TO COME TO Canada BEFORE SECURING A JOB?

Also, it appears that any potential employer needs to pay both an employment compliance fee and an LMIA. If I come over on a working visa and then secure a job, is the employer still liable to pay these fees?

Confused.com! It seems like Canada doesn't want migrants, even highly skilled ones?
Old Apr 8th 2015, 8:15 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confusion over work permit

Some visa routes require you to have a job offer before getting a permit, some allow you to get the permit first. Have a read of the wiki and read about the different routes into Canada - there are a load of them, no one is going to sit here and do your research for you.

Check out Express Entry and see how many points you and your husband each get - whoever has more should be the primary applicant.

If you are 30 or under, then check out IEC. You are out of luck for 2015 as the program is full, but if you are quick in early 2016 then you could get an IEC, which is a 2-year working holiday visa. Spaces go quickly, though (a total of 14 minutes this year).

If you go down the TWP route, then what you have posted about LMIA and payments etc is all accurate. But that's just one option.

Canada does want migrants, but only the ones that they NEED. Sorry to tell you but teachers, including ESL teachers, are NOT on that list - Canada is WAAAAAAY over supplied in teaching right now, so you will find it next to impossible to get a TWP based on you being an ESL teacher. Your husband may have more success as a pilot.

Hope that helps!
Old Apr 8th 2015, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

Ontheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond repute

I wish to work in a field that is massively over-subscribed and Canada won't let me, because I'm me.....and it's soooo unfair <STOMP>...lol, sorry princess.

If your hubby is finishing his commercial license then, I'm guessing this is his choice and he is here owing to the price difference from the UK, rather than from an employer. But as I'm a nice guy heres a hint, your husbands course is classed as education, if his school is registered...and if he gets a letter accepting him on the accredited course, and applies for a student permit/visa (if he hasn't had to already)...you get an open work permit as his spouse accompanying him...thats better isn't it?

Flying Schools in Alberta are accredited I know, so his may well be.

PS online netiquette all caps is classed as shouting and having a strop.

Last edited by Ontheroadoflife; Apr 8th 2015 at 8:48 pm.
Old Apr 8th 2015, 8:49 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ontheroadoflife
I wish to work in a field that is massively over-subscribed and Canada won't let me, because I'm me.....and it's soooo unfair <STOMP>...lol, sorry princess.

If your hubby is finishing his commercial license then, I'm guessing this is his choice and he is here owing to the price difference from the UK, rather than from an employer. But as I'm a nice guy heres a hint, your husbands course is classed as education, if his school is registered...and if he gets a letter accepting him on the accredited course, and applies for a student permit/visa (if he hasn't had to already)...you get an open work permit as his spouse accompanying him...thats better isn't it?

Stop it please!

You are becoming my new favourite poster.
Old Apr 8th 2015, 8:56 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

But she still won't get a job as a teacher...or it's super unlikely anyway!

Ok, I've just read your introduction...you need to start at the very beginning...will your husband get a place to study as a pilot? Since a study permit for him seems your best way into the country as a temporary resident....this is not a permanent option though. It's a big gamble to sell your house esp with kids.

Last edited by Tirytory; Apr 8th 2015 at 9:05 pm.
Old Apr 8th 2015, 9:04 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
Stop it please!

You are becoming my new favourite poster.
I wouldn't award that title just yet. Have you seen PR2 is back?
Old Apr 8th 2015, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

Ontheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
But she still won't get a job as a teacher...or it's super unlikely anyway!
Guess not, but at least she can work in something using that ESL degree to open the door...
Old Apr 8th 2015, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

Hi I'm being serious now, I've just read your first post as well, I'm guessing you're selling the house to fund the training...gutsy...at the very least you want the student visa, but as pointed out, when the course finishes...you are going home...there is NO way to short-cut the system for immigration anymore.

But heres a route if you're interested, you come out on the visa, you get a job and kiss ass and work hard. When you are close to going home your employer MAY support you for PR either under EE with a job offer or for BC supported PR, it's a gamble, but so is selling your house to fund the training.

Last edited by Ontheroadoflife; Apr 8th 2015 at 9:28 pm.
Old Apr 8th 2015, 9:19 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

*you're. x2.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

OP, though, OTROL is right - you really need to do some thorough research on both ways to get work permits for Canada as well as if your jobs are in demand and if you will be employable. I know that requirements for pilots to be able to fly commercially in Canada is VERY competitive and VERY strict - I think there was some discussio about it in the Germanwings thread in The Maple Leaf part of the forum, it would be worth you reading some of the posts in there (in particular from members like Zoe Bell who are clued up on the industry).
Old Apr 8th 2015, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

Damn been marked down as B minus now
Old Apr 8th 2015, 9:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Damn been marked down as B minus now
Less than that if you can't differentiate between your and you're. That's a D- at best in my book.
Old Apr 8th 2015, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

I need to go back to scool i think. ....and to think I only dropped one mark in the English test for my papers..the shame.

Last edited by Ontheroadoflife; Apr 8th 2015 at 9:34 pm.
Old Apr 8th 2015, 9:54 pm
Concierge

I need to go back to scool i think. ....and to think I only dropped one mark in the English test for my papers..the shame.
School.

Capital I.

Three full stops in an ellipsis.

F.
Old Apr 8th 2015, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
School.

Capital I.

Three full stops in an ellipsis.

F.
I must improve my english.

No can't come out today...I got 100 lines
Old Apr 8th 2015, 10:57 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

No can't come out today...I got 100 lines
Shouldn't English have a capital E?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.