Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

dad sponsoring his child (Me) and my common law partner

dad sponsoring his child (Me) and my common law partner

Old Sep 16th 2013, 7:15 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: dad sponsoring his child (Me) and my common law partner

Originally Posted by carolcanada
is there any way i can get my bf PR quickly
Short answer, no.

His best bet is find a job with a company willing to apply for a LMO so he can get a TWP (cannot do apprenticeship on TWP though), then apply for PR. Once he has PR can do apprenticeship, long way down the road though.

You have already been advised you cannot be sponsored (unless you father has no other family in Canada), so if you qualify for PR, get PR and get married you can sponsor your boyfriend.

When your parents immigrated in 2003, you were 17 if 27 now. Why did they not include you on their application?

No quick way in.

Last edited by Aviator; Sep 16th 2013 at 7:21 pm.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 7:18 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

If boyfriend waits until next year and is under 30 , IEC would be an option
Old Sep 16th 2013, 7:21 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
If boyfriend waits until next year and is under 30 , IEC would be an option
Could not do apprenticeship though.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

carolcanada has much to be proud ofcarolcanada has much to be proud ofcarolcanada has much to be proud ofcarolcanada has much to be proud ofcarolcanada has much to be proud ofcarolcanada has much to be proud ofcarolcanada has much to be proud ofcarolcanada has much to be proud ofcarolcanada has much to be proud ofcarolcanada has much to be proud ofcarolcanada has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Aviator
Short answer, no.

His best bet is find a job with a company willing to apply for a LMO so he can get a TWP (cannot do apprenticeship on TWP though), then apply for PR. Once he has PR can do apprenticeship, long way down the road though.

You have already been advised you cannot be sponsored (unless you father has no other family in Canada), so if you qualify for PR, get PR and get married you can sponsor your boyfriend.

When your parents immigrated in 2003, you were 17 if 27 now. Why did they not include you on their application?

No quick way in.
We went down the LMo route before and i think now that hes here were better off and its quicker to just get PR now.

Trust me on the marriage thing -------- im pushing it... hehe, but we dont want to have to get married for PR status, we want to do it when were settled with visas and a mortage.

i was around 17, possibly just turned 18 but i finished school at 16, finished college at 17 and started working. Because i had just got my 1st full time job, i didnt want to take a step backwards and go back to school,, even though i deeply regret that now!!!

think we will be going with FSW or PNP. its just that the bf is getting annoyed by being in a job at a company whihc he loves but not being able to fix motorbikes when they are right infront of him, sso getting an apprenticeship is crutial!

were just not looking forward to the waiting for the visa (which we are well aware of and are not disputing) it can just feel like sometimes your living in limbo!!! we will get there though... one day
Old Sep 16th 2013, 8:34 pm

getting an apprenticeship is crutial!
That won't happen until he has PR which could and likely is way down the road.

If he has 9000 hours work experience he can prove, he can challenge an exam through ITABC http://www.itabc.ca/discover-apprent...rogram-details without having residency.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 8:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

We went down the LMo route before and i think now that hes here were better off and its quicker to just get PR now.
It won't be quicker, PR will take a year or so after applying. Plus he'd need a LMO anyway if he wants to apply for PR under FSW.

I don't know why you think you'd have had to take a 'step backwards' to have been included on your parents PR application, but just in case anybody reading misunderstands, you could have been included and wouldn't have had to be in education to have done so.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Sep 16th 2013 at 8:42 pm.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

carolcanada has much to be proud ofcarolcanada has much to be proud ofcarolcanada has much to be proud ofcarolcanada has much to be proud ofcarolcanada has much to be proud ofcarolcanada has much to be proud ofcarolcanada has much to be proud ofcarolcanada has much to be proud ofcarolcanada has much to be proud ofcarolcanada has much to be proud ofcarolcanada has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
It won't be quicker, PR will take a year or so after applying. Plus he'd need a LMO anyway if he wants to apply for PR under FSW.

I don't know why you think you'd have had to take a 'step backwards' to have been included on your parents PR application, but just in case anybody reading misunderstands, you could have been included and wouldn't have had to be in education to have done so.
honestly, the consultants my parents used were the ones i used to do our visa's ----- lets just say I took them to court and they no longer exist!!! they got my parents in which im thankful for but they had mine laying around for about a year and wouldnt give my money back so i sued!!! but talking to you now, im guessing they were much more rubbish than we thought!!!
Old Sep 16th 2013, 11:30 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

Check out the WIKI.
Forget what you were told about post-secondary education. That was complete hogwash.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 3:50 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Trust me on the marriage thing -------- im pushing it... hehe, but we dont want to have to get married for PR status, we want to do it when were settled with visas and a mortage.

i was around 17, possibly just turned 18 but i finished school at 16, finished college at 17 and started working. Because i had just got my 1st full time job, i didnt want to take a step backwards and go back to school,, even though i deeply regret that now!!!

think we will be going with FSW or PNP. its just that the bf is getting annoyed by being in a job at a company whihc he loves but not being able to fix motorbikes when they are right infront of him, sso getting an apprenticeship is crutial!

were just not looking forward to the waiting for the visa (which we are well aware of and are not disputing) it can just feel like sometimes your living in limbo!!! we will get there though... one day

You should have been included on your parents' application as you were a minor (and a dependent) at the time. For Canada, unless you were married or in a common law relationship, you would have been classed as a dependent up until your 22nd birthday, regardless of whether you were in education or not. Once the application was submitted, your age would have been 'locked in' regardless of how long it took to be processed.

Were you put down on the application as non-accompanying? Did you have a medical?

There are more than 50 routes to PR. Have you looked at the wiki?

If you are applying for a post-graduate work permit, you will still need to apply for PR at some stage unless you intend to leave Canada. A 2 year course will give you a 2 year work permit. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-postgrad.asp

Once you have determined the best route for yourself to apply for PR - I would suggest you also look at Canadian Experience Class. Your b/f could be added onto your application as your common-law partner.

Regarding your b/f; I would suggest he apply to get his qualifications recognised (it's quite normal for transcriptions to be sent directly to Canada, it shouldn't be a problem).

He could apply for a work permit as your common-law partner if you are a student - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-spouse.asp - and afterwards on your PG work permit, once you have a job. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who.asp