Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

dad sponsoring his child (Me) and my common law partner

dad sponsoring his child (Me) and my common law partner

Old Sep 16th 2013, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

carolcanada has much to be proud ofcarolcanada has much to be proud ofcarolcanada has much to be proud ofcarolcanada has much to be proud ofcarolcanada has much to be proud ofcarolcanada has much to be proud ofcarolcanada has much to be proud ofcarolcanada has much to be proud ofcarolcanada has much to be proud ofcarolcanada has much to be proud ofcarolcanada has much to be proud of
Default dad sponsoring his child (Me) and my common law partner

HI,

I will start off by saying my parents have PR and are in calgary now. I am my parents child (obviously) and i am currently coming to the end of studying in calgary. i managed to get my bf to move over here from the UK on a working holiday visa which does not end until june 2014, but due to certain trades, my bf cannot correctly work on these trades and cannot apply for apprenticeships so I am thinking of ways to get PR for him mainly, quickly.

I have thought about the FSW route but we have to get education certificates transfered over etc and thats guna take about 3 months as we need brand spanking new certificates sent from the UK and to have then enveloped and never opened either end which i know will end badly!!

I have looked into the sponsorship route and my dad can sponsor me no problem when i finish at college, but i need to know if he can also sponsor me and my common law boyfriend at one time on one visa application???

CIC website is just one big joke and i will never get to talk to a human if i phone up so i was just wondering if anyone had any experience with this???

any help or advise would be appreciated

Carol

Last edited by carolcanada; Sep 16th 2013 at 3:56 pm.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 4:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: dad sponsoring his child (Me) and my common law partner

Your dad wont be able to sponsor your boyfriend as he is not a relative or family member as defined by CIC

You can sponsor:

brothers or sisters, nephews or nieces, granddaughters or grandsons who are orphaned, under 18 years of age and not married or in a common-law relationship
another relative of any age or relationship but only under specific conditions (see Note below)
accompanying relatives of the above (for example, spouse, partner and dependent children).
Note: You can sponsor one relative regardless of age or relationship only if you do not have a living spouse or common-law partner, conjugal partner, a son or daughter, parent, grandparent, sibling, uncle, aunt, nephew or niece who could be sponsored as a member of the family class, and you do not have any relative who is a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident or registered as an Indian under the Indian Act.

Who cannot be sponsored

Other relatives, such as brothers and sisters over 18, or adult independent children cannot be sponsored. However, if they apply to immigrate under the Skilled Worker Class, they may get extra points for adaptability for having a relative in Canada.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...asp#who_cannot

Arent you a PR in your own right?

Last edited by Former Lancastrian; Sep 16th 2013 at 4:23 pm.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 4:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly, are you sure your Dad can sponsor you? If you have a common-law partner then you're no longer considered a dependent child. How old are you, why were you not included on your parents PR application, what's your own visa status in Canada and do you live with your parents?

If your bf can apply under the FSW prog (what does he do, is it a job on 'the list' of eligible occupations?) then that may be his only option if you can't sponsor him yourself. Degree transcripts etc shouldn't take 3 months, but it'll take you that long to get everything together to apply probably anyway).

Or is PNP an option? At least then he'd get a TWP before his IEC expires.

Good luck.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

carolcanada has much to be proud ofcarolcanada has much to be proud ofcarolcanada has much to be proud ofcarolcanada has much to be proud ofcarolcanada has much to be proud ofcarolcanada has much to be proud ofcarolcanada has much to be proud ofcarolcanada has much to be proud ofcarolcanada has much to be proud ofcarolcanada has much to be proud ofcarolcanada has much to be proud of

Thanks guys.
Im 27 and im an international student. I couldnt get on my parents original PR at the time of applying as I had left full time education.

I didnt think it matter the age of a child if sponsoring as obvioulsy i am not dependant on him, although i kind of am being an international student!

My bf has qualifications in mechanics but would love to do motorcycle mechanics. the problem is he has a great job with a great company doing motorcycle mechanics but an "Inspector" visited the company and pointed out even though he is qualified in some engines, not on motorcycle's and even though hes qualified on some engine's, you need to transfer them over to be able to work on some engine's, even though on a holiday visa. My bf pointed out quite rightly, how is he supposed to get experience on a working holiday experience visa if transfered qualifications are needed!!

with the certifications, we are worried they wont want to send new ones to canada and if we get them sent to an address in the uk and then forwarded on, they will accidently be opened and the people who transfer the qualifications over wont accept old certificates and will only accept new one's if the envelope has not been opened!! all long winded!!

2 years ago the only problem i had with being sponsered was i didnt have 2 years post secondary schooling, of which i have now so that should be fine but im pretty sure if my dad sponsored me when i finish my college (Dec 2013) THAT I CAN GET MY COMMON LAW PARTNER ON THE VISA APPLICATION TOO. i dont get why he couldnt come on it. (Sorry for CAPS).

soo many rules with canada, it is brilliant but fustrating at the same time!!
Old Sep 16th 2013, 6:01 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

2 years ago the only problem i had with being sponsered was i didnt have 2 years post secondary schooling, of which i have now so that should be fine but im pretty sure if my dad sponsored me when i finish my college (Dec 2013) THAT I CAN GET MY COMMON LAW PARTNER ON THE VISA APPLICATION TOO. i dont get why he couldnt come on it. (Sorry for CAPS).

Christmasoompa and Former Lancastrian are the most knowledgeable on this site and FL is also a Border Control Agent. Read carefully what they've told you and take it as gospel. Your father cannot sponsor you or your boyfriend in spite of all the pouting you do about all the rules and regulations. You're too old and bf isn't related.
There are thousands who have applied to immigrate into Canada and are on long waiting lists for acceptance and visas and must accept the rules and regulations. There is no good reason these people should be overlooked in your favour.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 6:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolcanada
Thanks guys.
Im 27 and im an international student. I couldnt get on my parents original PR at the time of applying as I had left full time education.

I didnt think it matter the age of a child if sponsoring as obvioulsy i am not dependant on him, although i kind of am being an international student!
Sorry, but you've misunderstood - your parents cannot sponsor you under the Family Class, as only dependent children can be sponsored.

Looks like you both need to get visas sorted if you want to stay longer term, start with reading the Wiki which should be clearer than the CIC website for you.

Good luck.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

Christmasoompa and Former Lancastrian are the most knowledgeable on this site and FL is also a Border Control Agent. Read carefully what they've told you and take it as gospel. Your father cannot sponsor you or your boyfriend in spite of all the pouting you do about all the rules and regulations. You're too old and bf isn't related.
There are thousands who have applied to immigrate into Canada and are on long waiting lists for acceptance and visas and must accept the rules and regulations. There is no good reason these people should be overlooked in your favour.[/QUOTE]

Well thank you for your harsh input.
I am not asking for my situation to be overlooked at all!!!!
I am aware these two guys are extremely knowledgable and i will be taking there advice onboard, i was just saying that 2/3 years ago the sponsorship rules changed whilst my application was being sent by my visa represenative company, (according to my representative company i qualified) and now im qualified as per what the company told me.

Sorry for being a little confused by info told to me from my visa rep company (which i am not using), info found on the website and info I am being told here!!

I will start my thoughts again!
Old Sep 16th 2013, 6:31 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

i was just saying that 2/3 years ago the sponsorship rules changed whilst my application was being sent by my visa represenative company, (!
I don't believe they did. Either you misunderstood what the "representative company" said or you were lied to.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Sorry, but you've misunderstood - your parents cannot sponsor you under the Family Class, as only dependent children can be sponsored.

Looks like you both need to get visas sorted if you want to stay longer term, start with reading the Wiki which should be clearer than the CIC website for you.

Good luck.
Thank you for your help. I do appreciate it very much!!!

its just annoying when you think one way and then shot down, then another then shot down!!!

We will get there some how

Old Sep 16th 2013, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
I don't believe they did. Either you misunderstood what the "representative company" said or you were lied to.
The rules changed from needing 1 year post secondary education to needing two and i got that confirmed through CIC, but according to the rep company i qualified in everything else, hence me going back to school but having it be in canada?!?
Old Sep 16th 2013, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
Back to the drawing board for me then
Old Sep 16th 2013, 6:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

i was just saying that 2/3 years ago the sponsorship rules changed whilst my application was being sent by my visa represenative company, (according to my representative company i qualified) and now im qualified as per what the company told me.
There is no requirement for any education at all if being sponsored under the Family Class, and never has been. The rules haven't changed either, are you definitely talking about Family Class sponsorship?
Old Sep 16th 2013, 6:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

The rules changed from needing 1 year post secondary education to needing two and i got that confirmed through CIC, but according to the rep company i qualified in everything else, hence me going back to school but having it be in canada?!?
I think we're talking at cross purposes. No education is required at all for a child (or any other family member) to be sponsored, an applicant could get PR even if they've never set foot in a school.

It seems that you're talking about another visa route, any idea which one?
Old Sep 16th 2013, 6:40 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Under what stream or visa type did your parents gain PR?

If it was under the skilled worker then it is/was the fact that you had left full time education and were not a "dependent child" that was the problem, not your lack of education.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I think we're talking at cross purposes. No education is required at all for a child (or any other family member) to be sponsored, an applicant could get PR even if they've never set foot in a school.

It seems that you're talking about another visa route, any idea which one?
Oh god, i think iv confused people.
Im not sure what PR route my parents applied under. they applied in 2003 and received/moved to canada in 2007 by points. I couldnt et on their PR as i wasnt classed as a dependant child. But when i looked at being sponsored about 3 years ago, i was told i needed 2 years post secondary school and i only had 1 year. i was told by cic i couldnt just do another 1 year course to make it 2 years, it needed to be a new 2 year course. I wasnt aware there was more than 1 sponsorship class for PR so i think im thinking about family class. but no doubt i was misinformed somehow somewhere

ok, so im not too bothered about getting my PR yet as im applying for a graduate visa when i graduate, but is there any way i can get my bf PR quickly as he wants to get on an appprenticeship asap. he has qualifications needed and his job/s are under the noc list for the FSW visa but is this the correct recommended visa or is PNP a better/quicker option??? (considering i now know sponsorship is out hehe :-) )

Last edited by carolcanada; Sep 16th 2013 at 7:05 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.