Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Current IT worker permit programmes

Current IT worker permit programmes

Old Sep 29th 2008, 1:30 pm
Just Joined

WoohooMadeIt is on a distinguished road
Default Current IT worker permit programmes

Hi there everyone. These forums continue to be a great source of info and advice, keep up the great posts!

I'm currently in Canada and in the process of getting PR (arrived Dec 06, had medicals last month). My question is about my wifes' brother though.

He and his girlfriend currently live in Ireland and work in IT (him as a network admin, her as a business analyst). With a worsening economic climate they are a bit worried and seriously considering trying Canada for a year or two if possible. Apparently they've seen advertising in Ireland for Canadian IT worker shortages. I've got a couple of questions about their options:

- Are there "fast track" work permit programmes they could qualify for which cover IT network admin roles? I am currently under a federal software developer scheme (round the flag and issued a permit there and then) but have not seen any admin ones.

- If we achieve PR in the next few months, will that make any difference to their work permit options given the family relationship?

- As they are not married would one of the getting a work permit be enough to get them both one or would the other need to come as a "tourist"? I know when I first arrived my wife was issued a work permit based on my getting one.

All advice and ideas appreciated. They're hard working and just looking for the best options for the future so I'd love to help them out.

Thanks,

Richard
Old Sep 30th 2008, 10:24 pm
Woohoo! PR :D

SkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Current IT worker permit programmes

I don't know about Network admin fast-tracks but you should get him to check the PNP site for the province he's interested in as there may be a direct scheme.

Not sure if there is a BUNAC scheme in Ireland, but if there is and your Brother in Law and his partner are under 30 they could apply for Non-Student Bunac visa, then apply for network admin jobs here and ask new employer to sponsor via PNP or ask them to get LMO and TWP to extend BUNAC and apply as skilled worker from within Canada. I got PR via BUNAC > PNP for a software management role. Your brother can sponsor his partner under PNP/LMO route provided they meet common law criteria on CIC site.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

elizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by WoohooMadeIt
Hi there everyone. These forums continue to be a great source of info and advice, keep up the great posts!

I'm currently in Canada and in the process of getting PR (arrived Dec 06, had medicals last month). My question is about my wifes' brother though.

He and his girlfriend currently live in Ireland and work in IT (him as a network admin, her as a business analyst). With a worsening economic climate they are a bit worried and seriously considering trying Canada for a year or two if possible. Apparently they've seen advertising in Ireland for Canadian IT worker shortages. I've got a couple of questions about their options:

- Are there "fast track" work permit programmes they could qualify for which cover IT network admin roles? I am currently under a federal software developer scheme (round the flag and issued a permit there and then) but have not seen any admin ones.

- If we achieve PR in the next few months, will that make any difference to their work permit options given the family relationship?

- As they are not married would one of the getting a work permit be enough to get them both one or would the other need to come as a "tourist"? I know when I first arrived my wife was issued a work permit based on my getting one.

All advice and ideas appreciated. They're hard working and just looking for the best options for the future so I'd love to help them out.

Thanks,

Richard
Can you explain more about the federal software developer scheme please?
Old Jan 24th 2009, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/special-tech.asp
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/itw-jobs.asp

Effectively does away with the need for a normal 'Labour Market Approval" (LMO) which normally means the job has to be advertised to Canadians for a specified period.

It is an older scheme, and is a little dated because a lot of the newer programming languages are not listed. It could be discontinued at any time.

Last edited by bodgerx; Jan 24th 2009 at 8:28 pm.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 6:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bodgerx
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/special-tech.asp
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/itw-jobs.asp

Effectively does away with the need for a normal 'Labour Market Approval" (LMO) which normally means the job has to be advertised to Canadians for a specified period.

It is an older scheme, and is a little dated because a lot of the newer programming languages are not listed. It could be discontinued at any time.
What makes you think it could be discontinued at any time ?
Old Jan 25th 2009, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Coffeepot
What makes you think it could be discontinued at any time ?
I think purely the fact that they haven't put any effort at all in updating any of the technologies in the list. Also, previous comments on this site by Andrew Miller basically saying that it is an older scheme hanging around in the background of main policy and as soon as someone from CIC give it more than passing attention it will be gone.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 8:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

I think purely the fact that they haven't put any effort at all in updating any of the technologies in the list. Also, previous comments on this site by Andrew Miller basically saying that it is an older scheme hanging around in the background of main policy and as soon as someone from CIC give it more than passing attention it will be gone.
Thanks for that bodgerx,
Old Jan 25th 2009, 5:16 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

The program was a sop to the large companies, such as Microsoft, Nortel etc, where they were unable to get H1bs for the US, so they set up subsidiaries in Canada where they could get as many temporary workers as they wanted with little hassle. With the layoffs at Microsoft, EA, Nortel I think that CIC/HRSDC will probably take a look at the program sooner rather than later.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 6:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

The program was a sop to the large companies, such as Microsoft, Nortel etc, where they were unable to get H1bs for the US, so they set up subsidiaries in Canada where they could get as many temporary workers as they wanted with little hassle. With the layoffs at Microsoft, EA, Nortel I think that CIC/HRSDC will probably take a look at the program sooner rather than later.
I hope your wrong about this
Old Jan 25th 2009, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Maybe. But I would've thought it is still a useful tool in attracting software companies/developers away from the US to Canada (thinking long term rather than short-term recession). Despite the fact that the larger companies have announced some layoffs this scheme must have been a considerable factor in them moving some development from the US towards Canada in the first instance e.g. Microsoft. Taking the long-term view the Canadian government should continue this incentive where appropriate.

Personally, I think it probably just needs updating and refining to a narrower set of skills.