Current Employer References

Old Jan 7th 2009, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

mcdavis is a jewel in the roughmcdavis is a jewel in the roughmcdavis is a jewel in the roughmcdavis is a jewel in the roughmcdavis is a jewel in the rough
Question Current Employer References

From other posts there does not seem to be too many problems if you are unable to provide a reference from previous employers, as long as you have explained why and provided other supporting information such as NIC information / P60s / payslips etc.

However, I cannot find any posts about missing a reference from your current employer - in the current climate we are concerned about our current employer knowing too early about our plans. Does anyone have any experience where they have not provided this reference?
Old Jan 7th 2009, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud of
Default Re: Current Employer References

Originally Posted by mcdavis
From other posts there does not seem to be too many problems if you are unable to provide a reference from previous employers, as long as you have explained why and provided other supporting information such as NIC information / P60s / payslips etc.

However, I cannot find any posts about missing a reference from your current employer - in the current climate we are concerned about our current employer knowing too early about our plans. Does anyone have any experience where they have not provided this reference?
We specifically asked them not to contact my OH's employer unless we were granted PR status or at least speak to us first. We are at Passport stage and they haven't been in touch with this employer, I suppose we made sure that every other reference was in place and I said I was happy for them to contact my employer as I am not the main earner.

Hope this helps!

Michelle
Old Jan 8th 2009, 7:11 am
BE Enthusiast

JET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to all

I know what you mean with the current climate. I was wondering what to do. However I have a decent relationship with my boss and decided I needed to do this, although haven't sent in an application as yet, need it sometime.

I was fortunate that he came back after 3 weeks in NZ and says that he could live there. I said that we felt the same about Canada and then said that we were going to apply for a Resident Visa---(not a job). to give us the option especially now the UK looks like a dying swan.

He told me fine, don't blame me. He asked me to get all the info, type it up and hand it to him. He will then get it printed and signed.

I think you need to be bold, unless you really harm your chances of staying in work here. Remember an application for residency is not a job, and only gives you an option of emigrating---you can decide at the time.

JET
Old Jan 8th 2009, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

mcdavis is a jewel in the roughmcdavis is a jewel in the roughmcdavis is a jewel in the roughmcdavis is a jewel in the roughmcdavis is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the thoughts JET, I was coming round to the same way of thinking - making it clear that this was an option only and talking to my boss as opposed to HR.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 8:37 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I wondered the same thing but in the FSW application guide it says "If you cannot provide a reference from your current employer, provide a
written explanation."

I took this to mean that they're used to people being unable to provide a reference from their current employer for that very reason, but that if you send a letter saying that you can't provide one as you haven't yet handed in your notice then you should be fine.

Old Jan 8th 2009, 8:42 am
BE Enthusiast

JET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to all

Yes should be OK. However, I would have thought myself that unless you are putting yourself at risk, that having your current employer give a reference that your case would slightly stronger ---as in official proof of what you say is the truth.

Be interested if anyone has had issues with this and immigration.

JET
Old Jan 8th 2009, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Washington, the original one, for now. The future - who knows?
Wearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to behold

I just asked the HR department for a letter stating my job titles and salary, they wouldn't give any more details any way. If you work for a large employer I do not think that it would be an issue at all, people leave all of the time, it is expected.

A one man and his dog set up may be a bit different, but still ask for a reference, explaining you are giving them plenty of notice so that you do not land them in it at the last minute, giving them plenty of time to plan for life after you have gone.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

delsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mcdavis

You can just tell your company it is required for legal matters and do not have to say exactly what for. It could be for obtaining credit or mortgage etc.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wearsider
I just asked the HR department for a letter stating my job titles and salary, they wouldn't give any more details any way.
Same here: they'd given me reference letters before for landlords, etc, so it was no problem.