Cover Letter

Old Aug 2nd 2005, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

timetomove is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cover Letter

Hi there everyone. Just wondered if anyone could advise:

I'm afraid I dont have too much info about the cover letter..what should I include??.. any guidelines I should be following??

Thanks,
Tim
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 8:40 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cover Letter

Tim,

There is no official guidance regarding the elusive 'covering letter', some folks don't bother as it's not listed in the CIC guidelines and/or they don't feel the need to add supporting evidence over and above the basic forms and paperwork they send in. But, the experts on here will tell you, add as much value and infoa s you can, CIC officer has one hit at reviewing your case so maybe help 'em out as much as you can with info.

What I can tell you is what we did:

Actually we omitted a covering letter from initial application but as we had stuff to send later on (wife's nursing registration in Canada, new job info, missing reference, updated with a new qualification, IQAS assessment of old qualification, etc) we included it with that.

Detail of visits as research trips.
Explanation that we had found a specific target area which we liked and felt very comfortable settling in.
Stated any facilities, amenities, we had discovered which would help us settle in target area.
Explanation that we had non-HRDC approved employment offer and copy of offer letter, draft contract, relocation package and resettlement service available to us.
Fuill detail of financial assets, debts, net relocation funds less detailed relocation costs and planned budget for home purchase.
Detailed projection of monthly living costs to prove ability to easily survive on one income initially.
Details of Canadian bank account already opened.
Plus test describing our confidence in successfully settling in Canada etc etc.

Hope this helps. I can't say all this extra stuff swung our case as we'll never know but we had no interview and very smooth PR passage through process. Our assessment was at 72 points so we weren't fantasticaly high up the marking ladder ?

Rich.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 4:51 pm
keep checking....

mhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to all

I basically agree with Rich,

however our cover letter was not nearly as sophisticated as theirs. We just stated that wen we lived in canada for 1.5 years we fell in love with the country and came to the conclusion that this is the society we and our children want to be part of.

Dont know if it helps any but it just felt right to us to say somewhere what was on our hearts and minds, and a cover letter seemed the right place to do it.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 5:22 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

No cover letter from us

No problems

Our airline tickets came today for our landing trip so we're happy
Old Aug 5th 2005, 4:45 am
Forum Regular

shriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really nice

Originally Posted by timetomove
Hi there everyone. Just wondered if anyone could advise:

I'm afraid I dont have too much info about the cover letter..what should I include??.. any guidelines I should be following??

Thanks,
Tim

Use it to sell yourself. Highlight your stong points and explain why you feel you will have no problems adapting to life in Canada.
Old Aug 5th 2005, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

timetomove is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello!

Thanks very much for the advice.
Rich, I'm impressed.. I feel like I could benefit from some of the points you mentioned. Thanks

travel for the good of all!
Old Aug 5th 2005, 11:14 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by timetomove
Thanks very much for the advice.
Rich, I'm impressed.. I feel like I could benefit from some of the points you mentioned. Thanks
Tim,

No worries, (generally) we're all here to help !

Rich.