Couple of questions

Old Oct 12th 2020, 8:23 am
Just Joined

Small Totem is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Couple of questions

Hi all

Gathering douments at the minute to apply for Spousal after our wedding in December. Understand the current processing time is much longer than normal but as I am finishing my MBA in April 2022 there is no rush for us to make the move before then. I am Canadian and OH is British, both by birth.
OH daughter is US citizen by birth - she will turn 22 in the middle of our application process but assume we should name her?
Is it best to hold off application until after we are married? Reading the threads on common law we would have to provide MUCH more info this route.
Does anyone have any current container costs for a typical 1 bed house? Recent quotes come back anywhere from £1700-4K (big window there) we would probably self pack.
We are also researching the best way to make the physical move with an elderly (by then) blind dog. I understand (although this could change) that it is ok to fly OUT of the UK on Air Canada with dogs in the cabin - does anyone have experience of this? The thought of him in the hold for 11 hours isnt bearable.
We have also been researching Cunard w/kennels but this option is suspended until 2022 so not able to get any info @ present. This would be our preferred option, with a drive from NY to west coast (daughter in law in NY state, i have family in ONT. MB and AB to break up the journey)

Old Oct 12th 2020, 8:30 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Couple of questions

Originally Posted by Small Totem
Hi all

Gathering douments at the minute to apply for Spousal after our wedding in December. Understand the current processing time is much longer than normal but as I am finishing my MBA in April 2022 there is no rush for us to make the move before then. I am Canadian and OH is British, both by birth.
OH daughter is US citizen by birth - she will turn 22 in the middle of our application process but assume we should name her?
Is it best to hold off application until after we are married? Reading the threads on common law we would have to provide MUCH more info this route.
Does anyone have any current container costs for a typical 1 bed house? Recent quotes come back anywhere from £1700-4K (big window there) we would probably self pack.
We are also researching the best way to make the physical move with an elderly (by then) blind dog. I understand (although this could change) that it is ok to fly OUT of the UK on Air Canada with dogs in the cabin - does anyone have experience of this? The thought of him in the hold for 11 hours isnt bearable.
We have also been researching Cunard w/kennels but this option is suspended until 2022 so not able to get any info @ present. This would be our preferred option, with a drive from NY to west coast (daughter in law in NY state, i have family in ONT. MB and AB to break up the journey)
Personally I'd just apply now (or after the wedding), once you get PR then as long as your OH is living with you, s/he maintains their PR status anyway. So at least then you don't have to worry if the backlog does cause a big delay as you'll have it underway in early 2021.

Yes, you'll need to name your OH's daughter, she's not a dependent child at age 22 so could never be sponsored, but will still need to be added in the family information.

For questions about pet transport and container costs, please ask again in the main forum - this section is only for visa/immigration related queries.

HTH, good luck.
Old Oct 12th 2020, 8:37 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Personally I'd just apply now (or after the wedding), once you get PR then as long as your OH is living with you, s/he maintains their PR status anyway. So at least then you don't have to worry if the backlog does cause a big delay as you'll have it underway in early 2021.

Yes, you'll need to name your OH's daughter, she's not a dependent child at age 22 so could never be sponsored, but will still need to be added in the family information.

For questions about pet transport and container costs, please ask again in the main forum - this section is only for visa/immigration related queries.

HTH, good luck.
THanks for the speedy response! So if by some miracle if we submitted application in Jan 2021 we got COPR by end of the year (not likely given current processing times) then we would be ok to wait until May/June 22 to do the landing trip? Not sure how long COPR is valid for but we COULD do a landing only trip with GTF list if needed.
Tryin to max out savings as much as possible before we go to give us both a bit of breathing space for job searches (housing etc all ok as would be able to stay with parents for a few months)
Old Oct 12th 2020, 8:41 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

THanks for the speedy response! So if by some miracle if we submitted application in Jan 2021 we got COPR by end of the year (not likely given current processing times) then we would be ok to wait until May/June 22 to do the landing trip? Not sure how long COPR is valid for but we COULD do a landing only trip with GTF list if needed.
Tryin to max out savings as much as possible before we go to give us both a bit of breathing space for job searches (housing etc all ok as would be able to stay with parents for a few months)
You'll have a year from the date of medical to 'land' and activate PR. But once you've done that, you can return to the UK indefinitely and your OH wouldn't lose PR as long as s/he is living with you. So if you 'landed' at the end of 2021, then you can return to the UK for as long as you like and only make the move when you're ready to.

HTH.
Old Oct 12th 2020, 8:54 am
Just Joined

Fab thank you! will check the spousal s/s to get idea of current processing times.
Old Oct 12th 2020, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

If your daughter is under 22 at the time of application, include her as a dependent either accompanying or non accompanying. Her age will be locked in during processing so it doesn't matter if she turns 22 during processing as long as she's not married or in a common law Relationship.

Last edited by Snowy560; Oct 12th 2020 at 2:03 pm.
Old Oct 12th 2020, 3:12 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowy560
If your daughter is under 22 at the time of application, include her as a dependent either accompanying or non accompanying. Her age will be locked in during processing so it doesn't matter if she turns 22 during processing as long as she's not married or in a common law Relationship.
well spotted Snowy! My son was locked in at age 21, 11 months and 3 weeks - and didn't actually land as a PR until he was 27 (long story).. so well worth including them as accompanying if there is the slightest chance they may want to move to Canada as well!
Old Oct 12th 2020, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Fab thank you! will check the spousal s/s to get idea of current processing times.
Spousal sponsorship spreadsheet has not been in use since the end of 2019 as despite 'advertising on this and another forum, people simply stopped volunteering their timelines.

Strongly recommend the wonderful wiki section. All of your questions answered there:

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Categ...n_Immigration_

and

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spous...lication_Forms
Old Oct 14th 2020, 10:43 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Siouxie
well spotted Snowy! My son was locked in at age 21, 11 months and 3 weeks - and didn't actually land as a PR until he was 27 (long story).. so well worth including them as accompanying if there is the slightest chance they may want to move to Canada as well!
Ok so just want to understand this fully

If we apply in early part of 2021 - she will be 20. If we name her as a dependent child (although she lives in the US) then she will be eligible to be sponsored as a dependent child indefinitey (or until in common law or gets married) if she was non accompying. Would she still need medical?
Or if we name her as accompying, she goes through the entire process, and has to do landing at the same time to activate PR, but then returns to the states and finsishes final year of school, gets a job in canada and come in and work? Jsut trying to keep all the options open to her, with a peds nursing degree having access to US/UK passport and PR she would have quite a few!!
Old Oct 14th 2020, 10:46 am
Just Joined

(if the timing works the way we want it to, we would do landing trip summer 2022 and that would coincide with her finishing school in NY) mistyped 2023 in first post.
Old Oct 14th 2020, 2:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

If we apply in early part of 2021 - she will be 20. If we name her as a dependent child (although she lives in the US) then she will be eligible to be sponsored as a dependent child indefinitey
No, only until she's non dependent. After that age you couldn't sponsor her even if she's on the application.

Would she still need medical?
Yes.

Or if we name her as accompying, she goes through the entire process, and has to do landing at the same time to activate PR, but then returns to the states and finsishes final year of school, gets a job in canada and come in and work?
That sounds like a plan to me, I thought she was older from what you said but if she's only 20 now then I'd definitely include her as an accompanying dependent personally, you never know what may change or if she'll want to come. It would just give her a few more years to make the move if she wants to later on.

Good luck.

Old Oct 14th 2020, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

You must name her as a dependent if she's under 22 whether accompanying or non accompanying. She will have to be examined for medical & criminal record either way.
Old Oct 14th 2020, 10:41 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Ok so just want to understand this fully

If we apply in early part of 2021 - she will be 20. If we name her as a dependent child (although she lives in the US) then she will be eligible to be sponsored as a dependent child indefinitey (or until in common law or gets married) if she was non accompying. Would she still need medical?
Or if we name her as accompying, she goes through the entire process, and has to do landing at the same time to activate PR, but then returns to the states and finsishes final year of school, gets a job in canada and come in and work? Jsut trying to keep all the options open to her, with a peds nursing degree having access to US/UK passport and PR she would have quite a few!!
If you put her down as an accompanying dependent (while she is under 22) her age is locked in on the day they receive your complete application... and remains locked in until the day she 'Lands" to become a PR, unless she were to get married or live with someone to become common-law (12 months for Immigration purposes). Yes, she will need to undergo a medical. Once processed (with the rest of the family) she will then do a landing interview before her COPR expires (a year after medical date, generally) and at any time after the Principal Applicant has 'landed' in Canada, and can toddle back to the US if she wanted to, for a couple of years - she will need to be resident in Canada for 2 out of 5 years following the date of 'landing'..

My son was adamant that he didn't want to come to Canada - I persuaded him to go on my application as an accompanying dependent.. and he is very happy that I did, having lived here for 10 years.