IEC Expiring what next?

Old Oct 1st 2020, 1:07 am
Just Joined

jacroson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IEC Expiring what next?

My IEC work permit expires at the end of March 2021. I don't currently have enough points in the Express Entry to get picked. I have been looking at somehow extending my IEC work permit or changing to a new one so I can stay longer and gather more points toward my CRS score. But am I eligible if so how? The information is so contradictory.

Any help would be much appreciated!
Old Oct 1st 2020, 2:46 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IEC Expiring what next?

Hi

Originally Posted by jacroson
My IEC work permit expires at the end of March 2021. I don't currently have enough points in the Express Entry to get picked. I have been looking at somehow extending my IEC work permit or changing to a new one so I can stay longer and gather more points toward my CRS score. But am I eligible if so how? The information is so contradictory.

1. If you are a UK citizen, and don't have Irish citizenship as well you are limited to 1 IEC in your lifetime.
2. If you want to continue to work, your employer is going to have to get an approved LMIA. S/he advertises the position, pays $1000 on application, demonstrates why no PRs/Canadians are qualified for the position, meets the median income for the position, and waits. About 3-5 months for processing. If successful, you can apply for a new work permit.
Old Oct 1st 2020, 7:19 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

As PMM has said, IEC's aren't extendable and you can't get another unless you have another citizenship of a country in the program. He's given you the details of what your employer will need to do if you want to switch to a 'normal' work permit.

But did you look in to the Ontario PNP as suggested in your last thread? Whatever you do, as I mentioned back in June, you need to get a wiggle on if you want to be able to stay and/or keep working past March. You really don't have much time left to sort this, particularly with Covid backlogs, so you need to sort a visa strategy urgently.

Best of luck.
Old Oct 7th 2020, 2:31 am
Just Joined

is an IEC not an open work permit? i have been reading on the Canada website that you maybe able to apply for International Mobility Program which doesn't require an LMIA?

regarding the Ontario PNP the only option i can see would be the foreign worker stream which isn't open at the moment and seems to be a free for all that doesn't guarantee you get in if you apply.
Old Oct 7th 2020, 5:18 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

is an IEC not an open work permit? i have been reading on the Canada website that you maybe able to apply for International Mobility Program which doesn't require an LMIA?

regarding the Ontario PNP the only option i can see would be the foreign worker stream which isn't open at the moment and seems to be a free for all that doesn't guarantee you get in if you apply.
IEC is an Open Work Permit, under specific conditions and for a specific period of time, so can't be extended, and there is no implied status - once your IEC expires you will most likely have to stop working and change to visitor status unless you can apply for a Bridging Open Work Permit ( ), sorry.... the IEC is part of the International Mobility Program - so you have already participated.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpce...num=935&top=25
IEC is part of the International Mobility Program, which means employers who hire IEC participants do not need to complete a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA).
More info: https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Impli...rk_Permit_ends

No Immigration Program guarantees you success, unfortunately. Were you able to get your CRS points up at all, or talk to your employer(s) about sponsoring you?

Last edited by Siouxie; Oct 7th 2020 at 4:45 pm. Reason: incorrect info edited.
Old Oct 7th 2020, 8:58 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

As above, the IMP is what you've already applied under and there's no way of extending an IEC. Yes, the Foreign Worker Stream opened for applications in July and filled quickly. It may open up for more applications between now and the end of the year (which is about the latest you could apply to get a nomination in time to keep working) depending on spaces in the quota, but no guarantee. You must keep an eye on the website for that though, as it's always announced in advance, but places go quickly so you need to be ready and must be checking it every day. What is your job, and would your employer sponsor you for a normal work permit?

Originally Posted by Siouxie
once your IEC expires you will most likely have to stop working and change to visitor status unless you can apply for a Bridging Open Work Permit (you will need a job offer for that)
No job offer required for a BOWP.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Oct 7th 2020 at 9:07 am.
Old Oct 15th 2020, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

is sponsoring different to an LMIA then?
Old Oct 15th 2020, 2:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

No, same thing. Have you asked your current employer if they'd be prepared to do that for you?

A LMIA will take 3-4 months usually, so if that's the route you decide to go down (and your employer is happy to), you need to get it submitted asap.

Good luck.
Old Oct 16th 2020, 12:18 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Do you mean for Ontario PNP?
https://www.ontario.ca/page/oinp-emp...-worker-stream
Notice to employers supporting an application under this stream:

Employers must demonstrate that reasonable efforts were made to recruit a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident prior to offering the position to the applicant, unless:
  • the applicant already has a valid work permit to work in Ontario, or
  • the employer has a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) for the position