Council/Affordable Housing Jobs

Old Sep 8th 2008, 4:11 pm
Just Joined

sunshine81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Council/Affordable Housing Jobs

Hi Folks,

I am new to this forum having just registered today but have been looking for about a month at previous posts and trying to absorb the wealth of information that has been shared - what a fantastic resource!

Both myself and my common law partner are absolutely dead set on moving to Canada. We have made two trips to date, skiing in Fernie in January 2008 and then a good friends wedding in Calgary in June/July 2008 and we have decided that we want to live and work the Canadian Dream. Whilst there in the summer we were welcomed with open arms by locals who insisted that we stay in their houses as opposed to hotels - unbelievable hospitality. But this also afforded us the opportunity to travel around a fair bit and we are convinced that Calgary is the place for us.

We both have degrees and 5 years work experience but I am a little confused as to what my hopes are of securing employment. All my experience is in managing council housing. This extends to a generic role where we literally do everything (register applicants, allocate properties, manage tenancies, collect rent, manage anti social behaviour and unfortunately attend court and evict people) but I am also a senior officer so manage a team of 6 assistants. I know that Canada has affordable housing which seems to be similar to the British Council Housing but I can’t see it listed on NOC codes.

Job searches have identified jobs in property management which I am confident are similar but if it aint on the NOC list does that mean I can’t get in?

Fortunately my partner has experience in marketing so she should have no problems. So it may be a case of having to apply on the "back" of her application? I guess the other possibility is to re-think my career as the skills I have are transferable.

Any thoughts or comments on my dilemma would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Sunshine

P.S I am now officially addicted to these forums
Old Sep 8th 2008, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Getting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Council/Affordable Housing Jobs

Hi Sunshine,

First and foremost, a very warm welcome to BE.

As I was reading the first part of your post, the phrase "Property Management" was jumping out at me and then I saw you mention the very same thing yourself. In Alberta, many (not all) property management roles are regulated and you need to study for and earn a licence to trade. See this link.
http://www.reca.ca/consumer_informat...management.htm
As such, I don't imagine it's the sort of thing that you are likely to get a job offer on although if your partner can secure a job here at a sufficient level, you would be entitled to an open work permit that would entitle you to apply for pretty much anything. I'm assuming here that you've had a little read around the forum and have discovered the developing consensus that the best chance of getting into Canada is with a job offer.

I'm also assuming you've discovered the WIKI but if not, here's a link to the main Canada page. The Quick Guide to Immigration article is a great place to start.
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Main_Page
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Quick_...an_Immigration

If you want a little reminder of your visit out here, take a look at our blog (link in the sigature line below). We're in Okotoks just south of Calgary but there will be lots of things on there you recognise.

Hope your plans work out.

Kind regards,

Eamonn & Janet.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 7:48 am
Just Joined

sunshine81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Getting There
Hi Sunshine,

First and foremost, a very warm welcome to BE.

As I was reading the first part of your post, the phrase "Property Management" was jumping out at me and then I saw you mention the very same thing yourself. In Alberta, many (not all) property management roles are regulated and you need to study for and earn a licence to trade. See this link.
http://www.reca.ca/consumer_informat...management.htm
As such, I don't imagine it's the sort of thing that you are likely to get a job offer on although if your partner can secure a job here at a sufficient level, you would be entitled to an open work permit that would entitle you to apply for pretty much anything. I'm assuming here that you've had a little read around the forum and have discovered the developing consensus that the best chance of getting into Canada is with a job offer.

I'm also assuming you've discovered the WIKI but if not, here's a link to the main Canada page. The Quick Guide to Immigration article is a great place to start.
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Main_Page
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Quick_...an_Immigration

If you want a little reminder of your visit out here, take a look at our blog (link in the sigature line below). We're in Okotoks just south of Calgary but there will be lots of things on there you recognise.

Hope your plans work out.

Kind regards,

Eamonn & Janet.

Hi Eamonn & Janet,

Thanks very much for the information. Unfortunately you have confirmed what i thought and from reading lots of information on the Wiki i am now convinced that the TWP is the way to go (on the back of my partners application).

Interestingly I was having a quick look at some jobs and did notice that for some positions you can apply and be accepted on the basis that you willing to study and earn the licence to trade in property in management. Perhaps there is hope yet as I am more than happy to do that?

Also managed to have a quick look through your blog - the photo's look awsome. Well I must crack on and get my resume updated!

Many thanks again,

Sunshine
Old Sep 9th 2008, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Getting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunshine81
Hi Eamonn & Janet,

Thanks very much for the information. Unfortunately you have confirmed what i thought and from reading lots of information on the Wiki i am now convinced that the TWP is the way to go (on the back of my partners application).

Interestingly I was having a quick look at some jobs and did notice that for some positions you can apply and be accepted on the basis that you willing to study and earn the licence to trade in property in management. Perhaps there is hope yet as I am more than happy to do that?

Also managed to have a quick look through your blog - the photo's look awsome. Well I must crack on and get my resume updated!

Many thanks again,

Sunshine
Hi Sunshine,

TWP sounds like a plan.

Yes, not all Property Management roles need a licence, so the jobs you are referring to will be these types of roles. As you can imagine, these are likely to be more junior roles but would be a foot in the door. The cost of studying for a licence is also worth figuring into your plans...here's a few links to help...
http://www.reca.ca/publications_reso...Licensing.html
http://www.abrea.ab.ca/education/ass...Management.htm
http://www.creb.com/public/careers/b...be-realtor.php

Glad you liked the blog.

Eamonn & Janet.