Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Computer and Information Systems Managers

Computer and Information Systems Managers

Old Dec 5th 2008, 12:24 am
Banned

Johnson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Computer and Information Systems Managers

Hi All,

Computer and Information Systems Managers is one of the 38 highly demand occupations list? I am wondering if someone has detailed job description/ more details like duties related to this occupation.

Please let me know ASAP.

Thanks

Johnson
Old Dec 5th 2008, 12:30 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Computer and Information Systems Managers

Here you go - for future reference all you need to do is get the NOC code for the relevant job, and then look it up in the NOC matrix. See if it fits your occupation, and then if it does you can apply using that NOC code.

Hope that helps.

Main duties

Computer and information systems managers perform some or all of the following duties:

Plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the operations of information systems and electronic data processing (EDP) departments and companies

Develop and implement policies and procedures for electronic data processing and computer systems operations and development

Meet with clients to discuss system requirements, specifications, costs and timelines

Assemble and manage teams of information systems personnel to design, develop, implement, operate and administer computer and telecommunications software, networks and information systems

Control the budget and expenditures of the department, company or project
Recruit and supervise computer analysts, engineers, programmers, technicians and other personnel and oversee their professional development and training.

Employment requirements

A bachelor's or master's degree in computer science, business administration, commerce or engineering is required.

Several years of experience in systems analysis, data administration, software engineering, network design or computer programming, including supervisory experience, are required.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 2:21 am
Forum Regular

laidback4 is on a distinguished road

According to the NOC description (0213) a degree is usually required. I have taken this (perhaps mistakenly) to mean that it is not absolutley mandatory to have a degree in order to be eligible. Any opinions?
Old Dec 5th 2008, 2:46 am
Banned

Johnson is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for reply. It will help me a lot.

Johnson
Old Dec 5th 2008, 2:51 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by laidback4
According to the NOC description (0213) a degree is usually required. I have taken this (perhaps mistakenly) to mean that it is not absolutley mandatory to have a degree in order to be eligible. Any opinions?
It's not whether it's required or not to be eligible under the NOC description - it's whether it's required or not to do the actual job. It's under 'Employment Requirements'.

As an example, any job that my husband would be eligible for would categorically state in a job advert that 'a bachelors degree in **** is required' - which means that he would have to have one to fulfil the NOC requirements as he wouldn't be able to do the job without one. Does that make sense?

So if the job needs a degree, then yes, you must have one, if the requirements are a likely to be a little more fluid in the advert then perhaps x amount of years would be accepted in lieu?
Old Dec 5th 2008, 3:07 am
Forum Regular

It's not whether it's required or not to be eligible under the NOC description - it's whether it's required or not to do the actual job. It's under 'Employment Requirements'.
Sorry, I think perhaps that I am misunderstanding. Under employment requirements for 0213 it states that 'a bachelor's or master's degree in computer science, business administration, commerce or engineering is usually required.' I'm assuming that the person in question would be applying for PR without a job already lined up.

Just trying to be 100% sure, that's all

Last edited by laidback4; Dec 5th 2008 at 3:08 am. Reason: for spelling
Old Dec 5th 2008, 3:13 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Sorry, I think perhaps that I am misunderstanding. Under employment requirements for 0213 it states that 'a bachelor's or master's degree in computer science, business administration, commerce or engineering is usually required.' I'm assuming that the person in question would be applying for PR without a job already lined up.

Just trying to be 100% sure, that's all
That's ok. It does state that, but that specific sentence is referring to it being required to do the job - it means that it is usually required to be able to do the job in the first place.

It's not referring to a specific job that somebody applying might have (no need for a job to be lined up as you rightly said), it's more a generalisation for any jobs that fall under that NOC code i.e. if a job that fitted the NOC code was advertised, would it say a degree was a requirement to be eligible to do it or not?

As an example, the NOC code for a zoo keeper might state that 'a degree in zoology is usually required' (no idea if it is or not, just using it as an example!) meaning that it's unlikely you would get a job as a zookeeper without one. Therefore, if you applied under the NOC code for a zookeeper without a zoology degree then you may have your application rejected as CIC would think you may not be able to get a job as a zookeeper anyway.

Is that clearer? Hope it makes sense!

Last edited by christmasoompa; Dec 5th 2008 at 3:16 am.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 3:20 am
Forum Regular

It does state that, but that specific sentence is referring to it being required to do the job - it means that it is usually required to be able to do the job in the first place.
Thank's, you've been very helpful. Just trying to work out whether or not to apply. I meet the criteria in every way except the degree, with years of experience as an IT Manager. Believe it or not my wife's occupation is on the skills in demand list as well (she's an Occupational Therapist), but if we apply in her name we are 1 point short.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 3:33 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Thank's, you've been very helpful. Just trying to work out whether or not to apply. I meet the criteria in every way except the degree, with years of experience as an IT Manager. Believe it or not my wife's occupation is on the skills in demand list as well (she's an Occupational Therapist), but if we apply in her name we are 1 point short.
Does every other requirement fit your role? In the list of 'main duties' do you do them all or at least most of them? That might mean you get accepted even if you don't have the degree.

Or could your wife do a quick French course or something else to get some extra points maybe?

If she could then perhaps you could both apply? Not sure there's any reason why you can't each have an application in but perhaps an expert will correct me. Just thought that way you'd have back up if her French wasn't up to scratch to get the necesssary points, or if your lack of degree caused your application to be rejected.

Another option is that you both job hunt like mad!

Best of luck.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

Ron Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really nice

Hello,

If you read the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (which by the way I usually don't do before going to sleep) you will discover that what is necessary is to have performed most of the main duties of the occupation (and if there is a lead statement to have performed the duties described in that).

You will also discover that there is no need to meet the employment requirements for that occupation.

Hopefully that clarifies everything you need to know.
Old Dec 25th 2008, 5:08 pm
Just Joined

immu999 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

was just goin thru this link
http://www.canadavisa.com/new-instru...tml#qualifying

Are there any sub categories in 0213 NOC ? as mentioned in the link.

Regards,
Imran
Old Dec 26th 2008, 2:07 am
Sempai

retsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to all

Originally Posted by immu999
Hi,

was just goin thru this link
http://www.canadavisa.com/new-instru...tml#qualifying

Are there any sub categories in 0213 NOC ? as mentioned in the link.

Regards,
Imran
No that is the main category. (I just know because 0213 does not perfectly fit me either but we wiggled around it since there is no such thing as a Chief Agile Officer)