First time application

Old Dec 22nd 2008, 8:50 am
Just Joined

karen281980 is on a distinguished road
Default First time application

Hello

Any advice would be grateful:

1) I have done admin/clerical work for 14 years, however have been thinking about going into nursing which is 3 years training then come out as a registered nurse at 33 yrs old; do i stay in the clerical/admin field and do a degree in that field or change my career? I just need any advice on what the best option is regards to immigrating

2) I need a degree and to save money to make my points to enter Canada, when can I apply? do I have to wait until I have completed the degree and saved up the preferred money or can I start the process now?

again, any adice would be great as you can tell i am just starting out and I am doing it alone!

thanks
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

zednought will become famous soon enough
Default Re: First time application

To apply as a skilled migrant you would need the educational background and at least a year's experience prior to submitting your application. However, if you're already committed to going back into education (and can support yourself financially) there's nothing to stop you undergoing your education in Canada. Assuming you could obtain employment in Canada after completing your studies you could apply for PR from there.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 10:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karen281980
Hello

Any advice would be grateful:

1) I have done admin/clerical work for 14 years, however have been thinking about going into nursing which is 3 years training then come out as a registered nurse at 33 yrs old; do i stay in the clerical/admin field and do a degree in that field or change my career? I just need any advice on what the best option is regards to immigrating

2) I need a degree and to save money to make my points to enter Canada, when can I apply? do I have to wait until I have completed the degree and saved up the preferred money or can I start the process now?

again, any adice would be great as you can tell i am just starting out and I am doing it alone!

thanks
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately, you wouldn't qualify as a Skilled Worker if you are in admin/clerical work so your only option if you want to go down that route is to qualify as a nurse. You refer to needing a degree to get the 'points' required, but unless you either have a job or are in an occupation of the list of 38 then you wouldn't qualify anyway, even with the points.

Your best bet is to either study in Canada if you really want to do a degree (you could then apply for PR under CEC class once you've done your degree there), obviously the downside of that is that you can't work more than 20 hours a week so you'd need a fair bit of money to support yourself for a few years whilst you do it. Unless you have a partner that would be going with you, as she/he would be eligible for an open work permit so at least one of you could be working.

Or you need to find a job, that's your only other route there. Unless you're under 30? In which case you'd qualify for a working holiday visa which would give you a year in Canada.

Start your reading here............................http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Quick_...an_Immigration

Then once you've decide which route you would be eligible for, feel free to come back and ask questions.

Good luck.
Old Dec 24th 2008, 9:51 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately, you wouldn't qualify as a Skilled Worker if you are in admin/clerical work so your only option if you want to go down that route is to qualify as a nurse. You refer to needing a degree to get the 'points' required, but unless you either have a job or are in an occupation of the list of 38 then you wouldn't qualify anyway, even with the points.

Your best bet is to either study in Canada if you really want to do a degree (you could then apply for PR under CEC class once you've done your degree there), obviously the downside of that is that you can't work more than 20 hours a week so you'd need a fair bit of money to support yourself for a few years whilst you do it. Unless you have a partner that would be going with you, as she/he would be eligible for an open work permit so at least one of you could be working.

Or you need to find a job, that's your only other route there. Unless you're under 30? In which case you'd qualify for a working holiday visa which would give you a year in Canada.

Start your reading here............................http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Quick_...an_Immigration

Then once you've decide which route you would be eligible for, feel free to come back and ask questions.

Good luck.
hi

Many thanks for your reply.

i have bought a couple of books on immigrating to Canada it mentions that you have to be catergory O A or B, and it lists occupations a few are administarial, however it doesnt list which catergory it actually falls.

I went onto the NOC site and inputted the code for the position and it is on there. So even though I have 14 years admin experience and if I do a degree in Business and Administration i still wont have any luck applying??

Sorry but I have been on so many site and nothing is Black and White and straight down the line so Im finding it confusing.

I am in the Royal Air Force at High Wycombe and have the opportunity to do as many courses as I can, but dont know where to go from here then to enable me to apply to live in Canada...

Many Thanks again
Old Dec 25th 2008, 2:39 am
Forum Regular

zednought will become famous soon enough

hi

Many thanks for your reply.

i have bought a couple of books on immigrating to Canada it mentions that you have to be catergory O A or B, and it lists occupations a few are administarial, however it doesnt list which catergory it actually falls.
Any published book would only be able to provide general advice. The rules governing immigration to Canada (at least as a skilled migrant) have changed at least twice in the last couple of years. There is plenty of more up to date advice available on these very pages and on the Internet generally.

I went onto the NOC site and inputted the code for the position and it is on there. So even though I have 14 years admin experience and if I do a degree in Business and Administration i still wont have any luck applying??
As you'll probably be aware there are hundreds of NOC codes; essentially these try to categorize all classes of skill, so no doubt you'd find business administration on there. However, be aware that if you wish to apply as a skilled migrant the Canadian government is limiting these NOC codes to just 38. If you haven't already seen it the details are here. If you don't have existing skills in one of these 38 categories you aren't eligible under the skilled migrant class. The list is subject to change so there is always the possibility that administration may be in scope at some point in the future. But this would be a hell of gamble to take. If you could obtain an offer of employment from a Canadian company there is a route to Canadian residency that way.

Sorry but I have been on so many site and nothing is Black and White and straight down the line so Im finding it confusing.

I am in the Royal Air Force at High Wycombe and have the opportunity to do as many courses as I can, but dont know where to go from here then to enable me to apply to live in Canada...

Many Thanks again
It is frustrating at first. I spent a year (seriously!) researching before submitting my application. Given the wealth of knowledge and experience of posters to this site I'm sure you'll find answers to all of your questions here somewhere, so keep asking.
Old Dec 25th 2008, 4:09 am
BE Enthusiast

SarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: First time application

Hi there,

Previous replies have mentioned undertaking a nursing degree in Canada. However, this could turn out far more expensive that taking the course in the UK.

If you were considering this, you would need to research how much the individual Canadian universities charge for foreign students who have a study permit. It could be double what they charge the Canadian/Permanent Residents.

Perhaps if someone has come from the UK specifically to study in a Canadian University there would be able to detail the course fee structure further.

Good luck,

Sarah
Old Dec 25th 2008, 12:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SarahBC
Hi there,

Previous replies have mentioned undertaking a nursing degree in Canada. However, this could turn out far more expensive that taking the course in the UK.

If you were considering this, you would need to research how much the individual Canadian universities charge for foreign students who have a study permit. It could be double what they charge the Canadian/Permanent Residents.

Perhaps if someone has come from the UK specifically to study in a Canadian University there would be able to detail the course fee structure further.

Good luck,

Sarah
Hi guys many thanks for all your info

Sarah, i am in the RAF and have many years in the Admin/clerical/HR enviroment, I know what you mean about the "List" and therefore feel I have no option but to train as a nurse through the RAF to get registered through the RAF and have a chance of getting a visa to live in Canada but by any chance, have I got any options job wise, that I can train to enable me to get through. I am happy to do any job, but what is my best option?

You got there, how should I do it in the best possible way? I am 28 years old 29 next May, so time is ticking, what can I do to get the right qualifications to get trained? please help I am trying to do it alone so I have no partner to help...

again i really do appreciate your help

karen x
Old Dec 27th 2008, 5:11 am
Forum Regular

shonaoconnor has a spectacular aura aboutshonaoconnor has a spectacular aura aboutshonaoconnor has a spectacular aura about

Hi
Lots of mature people enter nursing these days, so I doubt it is that difficult to gain entry. I don't know any specifics though.

Nurses are always in short supply worldwide. I'm applying on PNP to BC as a nurse. I got a job really easily - just on a telephone interview!! I'm being offered a really good relocation package too. I'm off to Vernon in the Okanagan Valley. They seem desparate for nurses and cannot fill the jobs locally. When I applied they had been waiting 18months for a guy who had applied from Holland!

I had to sit the Canadian nurse's exam but it was ok and my experience really rusty as I had been out of nursing for 3 years and only worked in theatre since I qualified nearly 30 years ago!!

If you can wait the time it takes to qualify and get a year's experience, nursing would be a good option and the PR through PNP process only takes a few months.