Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

A complex situation. Need advice/help

A complex situation. Need advice/help

Old Nov 26th 2004, 4:23 am
Just Joined

tauseef_1981 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A complex situation. Need advice/help

God bless you for this excellent forum.

I am on a student visa here in canada for studies. My student visa recently expired along with my temporary resident status on Aug. 31 2004.

I applied for renewal of both documents together through one form hence paying 325 CND dollars for the application.

I was granted extension on my student visa till 8th May 2005 (although i applied till Dec. 2005 anyways....) but my application fee for extension of temporary resident status was returned to me and on my extended student authorization document it says :

REMARKS : TEMPORARY RESIDENT STATUS MAINTAINED AS PER R183(6). MUST EXTEND PASSPORT VALIDITY PRIOR TO FURTHER EXTENSIONS. ST-E
My passport expires 8th MAY 2005 too.

Now can any of you experts shed some light on the above remarks on my Student Authorization document.

I am also willing to travel in late december to my home country and come back in mid january to continue my education here in Canada. Should i apply for a canadian temporary resident visa from here or from my home country when i get there ?

I have student authorization till 8th may 2005, what are my chances of getting temporary resident visa ?

thank you.
Old Nov 26th 2004, 8:30 am
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: A complex situation. Need advice/help

Originally Posted by tauseef_1981

I am on a student visa here in canada for studies. My student visa recently expired along with my temporary resident status on Aug. 31 2004.

I applied for renewal of both documents together through one form hence paying 325 CND dollars for the application.

I was granted extension on my student visa till 8th May 2005 (although i applied till Dec. 2005 anyways....) but my application fee for extension of temporary resident status was returned to me and on my extended student authorization document it says :

Now can any of you experts shed some light on the above remarks on my Student Authorization document.

I am also willing to travel in late december to my home country and come back in mid january to continue my education here in Canada. Should i apply for a canadian temporary resident visa from here or from my home country when i get there ?

I have student authorization till 8th may 2005, what are my chances of getting temporary resident visa ?

thank you.
Perhaps I am not reading this correctly.....but doesn't it just mean that you do not require another TRV, as your status has been maintained? Sounds like you don't have to re-apply for TRV.

If I was you I would renew your passport and then you can decide on what steps you wish to take nearer May; are you leaving Canada in May? If so then it wouldn't be such an issue with renewing your passport, but if you wish to stay on then at least you would have the option.
Old Nov 26th 2004, 5:28 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Tau

Originally Posted by tauseef_1981

thank you.
Your student permit was issued to the expiry date of your passport, you will have to have your passport extended to get a new student permit to the end of your studies. You cannot apply for a new TRV in Canada, you must apply to an overseas office, either Buffalo or your home country. I suggest you extend your passport and apply for multi-entry TRV from Buffalo before you go home in May, save yourself a lot of aggravation.

PMM
Old Nov 26th 2004, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

gsmith1610 will become famous soon enough

Out of interest, when did you submit your application to extend your stay? And where did you apply to?
Old Nov 27th 2004, 12:10 am
Just Joined

tauseef_1981 is an unknown quantity at this point

i submitted it a MONTH before the day of expiration.

My Student authorization was expiring on 31 AUG 2004
MY TEMPORARY RESIDENT VISA was expiring on 31 AUG 2004
Old Nov 27th 2004, 12:14 am
Forum Regular

gsmith1610 will become famous soon enough

So you stayed in Canada even though the visa had expired. The reason i ask is that i am in a similar positon.

I came to Canada in January on a one year visitor visa, expiring in Jan 05. I sent my application off to Alberta to extend my stay here (still as a visitor) until Jan 06. My application was recieved at the Immigration offices on the 11th november. I am just a bit freaked that if i do not hear back from them, then i will have to leave canada by the 25th January. Or, if my visa is not renewed.

I just wanted to know how long the process was taking and if there are any grounds for staying in the country after the visa has expired. For example, you are waiting for a decision to be made on the extension. I am from the UK by the way!

Any advice would be appreciated.