Common law proof

Old Mar 20th 2005, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

scotty71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Common law proof

We are in the process of collecting documents for my Canadian partner, who has been living with me here since August 2003 to sponsor me for PR, as she has now got a job in Canada. We don't have a joint mortgage or bank account but as far as proof of out relationship we have

-bills in joint names for utilities.. electric and gas
- boarding card stubs showing travels together over the last couple of years
-some photos showing us together - and me with members of her family
- annual travel insurance documents in both names

- and (after next week) we will have a copy of a will showing us as benificiaries of each other

- she has 2 credit cards as an additional card holder on two of my credit cards, but I'm not sure how to show this, as the statements don't name the additonal card holder? (photocopies of the cards themselves?)

she also has a letter from me to say that she would be living here when she came to England in 2003 on and ancestry visa

Is this sufficient to prove that we have been in a common law relationship? Or are there other documents we shoul- d try to get hold of? Opinions would be welcome please?
Old Mar 20th 2005, 3:16 pm
Happy Canadian PR

ozinca will become famous soon enoughozinca will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Common law proof

I was sponsored by my common law partner so I went through the same thing you are going through.

The only things I would include in addition to what you already have is:

A joint lease showing both your names to prove that you have lived together for the minimum 12 months.

At least 2 statutory declations from family or friends confirming their knowledge of your relationship and their belief that your relationship is genuine and continuing.

Can your bank give you a letter or statement to prove that your partner is an additional card holder on your account?

Good luck to you both. Include as much info. as you can.

Ozinca
Old Mar 20th 2005, 3:25 pm
Here and happy at last

gooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant future
Default Re: Common law proof

follow this link

http://www.cic.gc.ca/manuals-guides/...h/op/op02e.pdf

and go to page 24. I think you will find all the info you need.

Once you have gathered any paper documents etc. as they request, then I would have thought the best way would be to back up your physical proof of relationship with a written letter referring to all the info you enclose, maybe in a diary form relation to your travels abroad , visits to family , friends, parties, formal functions etc. and dates, Joint purchases. etc.

QUOTE=scotty71]We are in the process of collecting documents for my Canadian partner, who has been living with me here since August 2003 to sponsor me for PR, as she has now got a job in Canada. We don't have a joint mortgage or bank account but as far as proof of out relationship we have

-bills in joint names for utilities.. electric and gas
- boarding card stubs showing travels together over the last couple of years
-some photos showing us together - and me with members of her family
- annual travel insurance documents in both names

- and (after next week) we will have a copy of a will showing us as benificiaries of each other

- she has 2 credit cards as an additional card holder on two of my credit cards, but I'm not sure how to show this, as the statements don't name the additonal card holder? (photocopies of the cards themselves?)

she also has a letter from me to say that she would be living here when she came to England in 2003 on and ancestry visa

Is this sufficient to prove that we have been in a common law relationship? Or are there other documents we shoul- d try to get hold of? Opinions would be welcome please?[/QUOTE]