Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Clarification on IEC and dependents needed please :)

Clarification on IEC and dependents needed please :)

Old Apr 24th 2015, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

the blairs will become famous soon enough
Default Clarification on IEC and dependents needed please :)

Hi there,

My hubby secured an Irish 2 year IEC visa last year that needs to be activated soon. We have two kids and obviously me who do not have visas. As far as I am aware the kids can get study permits on the back of his visa no problem and as soon as he can prove an A, O or B job I can get an SOWP. Is this 100% correct? Also, if he does not secure a job straight away can the kids still get a study permit and can I get a visitor visa?
Wanting to make certain before I hand my notice in at work :-/ !!!

Thanks
Linz x
Old Apr 24th 2015, 7:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Clarification on IEC and dependents needed please :)

When we came our daughter got a visitor record at the POE which was accepted by the school board in Vancouver for registration. They also looked for a letter of employment from one of us (and this was on their list of requirements) but I'm not sure what would happen if there's no letter of employment. You are best off contacting the school board to get clarification on this.

Not sure about the SOWP as we both had IEC visas.
Old Apr 24th 2015, 8:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you would be eligible for a SOWP providing

However, your spouse or common-law partner may be able to apply for an open work permit—allowing him or her to accept any job with any employer—if you meet one of these conditions:
•you are ◦allowed to work in Canada for at least six months,
◦doing work in Canada that meets a minimum skill level (usually work that requires at least a college diploma) and
◦doing a job listed in Skill Level 0, A or B in the National Occupational Classification

There is a $155 work permit fee plus an extra $100 processing fee as per the new fee collection regulations

A fee of $100 will be collected, also starting February 21, 2015, from open work permit applicants. This fee will be paid at the same time as the work permit processing fee and can be paid online. The fees collected will offset the cost of new initiatives to improve data collection on the role of open work permit holders in the Canadian labour market, as well as increased promotional activities to encourage open work permit holders to apply for permanent residence.

Children will be issued visitor records so they can attend school if they apply at a POE at the same time as the IEC work permit is issued. You will probably have to wait for the SOWP until the IEC worker provides proof that they are working in a skilled O, A or B occupation.
Old Apr 24th 2015, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

Ah interesting. So my hubby cannot activate it and then we arrive later? Kids study etc will be issued at the same time as the IEC visa?
Old Apr 24th 2015, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

Also.... If myself and the kids were issued visitor visas how much proof of funds would we need to show? Or do we?
Old Apr 24th 2015, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry for all the questions! I just need 100% clarification before I chuck int house and job :-/
Is there a link to this info you could give me and I could read up?

Thanks
Linz x
Old Apr 24th 2015, 9:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the blairs
Ah interesting. So my hubby cannot activate it and then we arrive later? Kids study etc will be issued at the same time as the IEC visa?
If he travels over first he will get his open work permit. Once he secures a job skill level 0,A or B then when you and the kids arrive you would apply for the SOWP at the POE and the kids visitor records would be issued. If you all arrive together then you wouldn't get the SOWP as he only has a work permit but no job. No proof of funds required. If arriving later you will need a copy of his work permit and a copy of his contract or letter from his employer indicating he is working at skill level 0, a or B by virtue of job title and NOC code.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcen...asp?q=199&t=17
Old Apr 24th 2015, 10:03 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
If he travels over first he will get his open work permit. Once he secures a job skill level 0,A or B then when you and the kids arrive you would apply for the SOWP at the POE and the kids visitor records would be issued. If you all arrive together then you wouldn't get the SOWP as he only has a work permit but no job. No proof of funds required. If arriving later you will need a copy of his work permit and a copy of his contract or letter from his employer indicating he is working at skill level 0, a or B by virtue of job title and NOC code.
Can my spouse or common-law partner work in Canada?

1. A slight correction, he would require $2500 as proof of funds on entry with an IEC.
Old Apr 24th 2015, 10:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. A slight correction, he would require $2500 as proof of funds on entry with an IEC.
For him Yes but for her and the kids none required was what I meant to say as the $2500 is mandatory under the IEC.
Old Apr 26th 2015, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm afraid I don't believe you would be eligible for a Work Permit because of your husband's IEC. See this link and in particular the section: Applicant not accompanied by dependents". This doesn't mean you can't go, but can't benefit from a WP because of his IEC:

International Mobility Program: Canadian interests – Reciprocal employment – International Experience Canada [R205(b)] (exemption code C21)
Old Apr 27th 2015, 2:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by satori560
I'm afraid I don't believe you would be eligible for a Work Permit because of your husband's IEC.
That's not correct. Although the OP can't go on her husband's visa initially, she would be eligible for an open work permit once her husband has got a 'skilled' job and can provide proof of that, as Former Lancastrian has said above.

HTH.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, sorry, once he has a job at the right level:

Work in Canada temporarily
Old Apr 27th 2015, 5:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by satori560
Yes, sorry, once he has a job at the right level:

Work in Canada temporarily
Yes, as the OP said in her first post.
Old May 22nd 2015, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the replies
Everything is starting to get real now! Got the decorators in painting the house, clearing rubbish out and have been to the tip 7 times already!! House should go on the market soon and I have relocation companies coming out to do an assessment and give me quotes for shipping :-0

One final clarification needed please. If he has not yet secured a job when we all arrive. Will the kids be allowed to go to school?? Also... Will I just receive an extended visitors visa (and not be able to work)? What would happen with proving you had means to support yourself then?

I'd hate to all arrive and the kids and him get to stay and I get turned away!!!
Old May 22nd 2015, 3:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by the blairs
Thanks for the replies
Everything is starting to get real now! Got the decorators in painting the house, clearing rubbish out and have been to the tip 7 times already!! House should go on the market soon and I have relocation companies coming out to do an assessment and give me quotes for shipping :-0

One final clarification needed please. If he has not yet secured a job when we all arrive. Will the kids be allowed to go to school?? Also... Will I just receive an extended visitors visa (and not be able to work)? What would happen with proving you had means to support yourself then?

I'd hate to all arrive and the kids and him get to stay and I get turned away!!!
If he has not secured a job in NOC 0, A or B that allows you to get the SOWP then you will all be put on visitor records and the kids will be allowed to attend school.
bear in mind that a SOWP work permit is $155 and an extra $100 for the open work permit compliance fee. Make sure all passports are valid past your OHs work permit which is 2 years from the date of issue of his work permit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.