Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

childrens citizenship certificates

childrens citizenship certificates

Old Aug 25th 2010, 9:24 am
Just Joined

amyj81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default childrens citizenship certificates

Hi
I am a uk citizen, my husband is Canadian but also holds UK passport. Our two young children were born in UK and hold UK passports. We are planning on moving to Ontario over next couple of months. We were going to go down sponsorship route but it seems that our children will be classed as Canadian citizens through descent. Does anyone know if this is true?
If so, we will apply for their citizenship certificates.
My husband will then need to sponsor me. Has anyone been in this situation and do you include the children on the sponsorship form?
Planning to apply for sponsorship and then move on a visiting visa until papers come through.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 11:16 am
BE Enthusiast

airbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: childrens citizenship certificates

Almost the exact same except my wife was the Canadian....

One of our children was born in the UK and one at a British Military Hospital in Germany.

The kids of course had British birth certificates.

We applied for their citizenship before we left for Canada (did not take long) and they were received while we were still overseas.

I came here as a landed immigrant and became a citizen 3 years later.

No issues whatsoever.

All the best.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 11:19 am
Just Joined

La_de_da_de_dum is just really niceLa_de_da_de_dum is just really niceLa_de_da_de_dum is just really niceLa_de_da_de_dum is just really niceLa_de_da_de_dum is just really niceLa_de_da_de_dum is just really niceLa_de_da_de_dum is just really niceLa_de_da_de_dum is just really nice
Smile Re: childrens citizenship certificates

Hi there,

I sent off my sons application for citizenship last week I am also in a simular situation to you, my husband is canadian and I am British we are moving out to Toronto in April next year.

In response to your question your husband will not need to sponsor your children as they canadian by decent he will only need to sponsor you.

Citizenship certificates can take up to one year to process so if you are looking to move out in the next few months the best thing to do will be to apply for canadian passports and citizenship at the same time for the children.

If you live near central London you can go to Canada House in Trafalgar Sq(they open at 9am and close at 1pm )to collect the application forms and also ask them to look over the forms once you have completed them.

I did this and found them very helpful.

Also if you type in search on the forum 'childrens passport' there is another post which I found really helpful with links to the CIC website.

I hope this helps, I am also new to all this and wish you all the best with your move!!
Old Aug 25th 2010, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

Allie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm Canadian and my husband is British. Our kids have both Canadian and U.K. passports. I applied for their citizenship and once their cards arrived, I got their passports. I was told by a woman at Canada House in London that the kids needed to enter Canada on their Canadian passports when we move there.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 8:59 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: childrens citizenship certificates

Thankyou all for your helpful advice.

Airbornesnapper
"I came here as a landed immigrant and became a citizen 3 years later."
Did you need to arrive with any documents and were you covered for health service?

La_de_da_de_dum- Unfortunately we dont live near London, we're in Scotland. I've tried calling but its all touch tone answer machine, just want to speak to someone in person about it, so we're having my husband's dad phone the Canada Call centre from Canada. Wish you all the very best with your move in April next year, hopefully we'll be there by then! Having to move to my mum's with the kids while my husband goes over to St Catharines at end of september. We just got the news that he got a job there so its all happening really quickly.

Allie73 - will you be sponsoring your husband before you arrive in Canada or will you do it once you get there?

Thanks all
Old Aug 25th 2010, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

csmirthwaite is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by amyj81

Airbornesnapper
"I came here as a landed immigrant and became a citizen 3 years later."
Did you need to arrive with any documents and were you covered for health service?

La_de_da_de_dum- Unfortunately we dont live near London, we're in Scotland. I've tried calling but its all touch tone answer machine, just want to speak to someone in person about it, so we're having my husband's dad phone the Canada Call centre from Canada. Wish you all the very best with your move in April next year, hopefully we'll be there by then! Having to move to my mum's with the kids while my husband goes over to St Catharines at end of september. We just got the news that he got a job there so its all happening really quickly.

Allie73 - will you be sponsoring your husband before you arrive in Canada or will you do it once you get there?

Thanks all

This is where we are wanting to emigrate to in 3 years. myself husband and two children.

My husband has family in St Catharines.

good luck
Old Aug 25th 2010, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

airbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond repute

Amyj81...

I applied for the landed immigrant malarkey while in Germany...one visit to the Bonn Consulate was all we made (that was 1986). They issued me a landed immigrant certificate to cash on arrival in Canada.

As for medical, back in 87 as we recall, I had coverage right away through the military but the family we believe were subject to the 3 month wait. At any rate, we certainly did not have private bridge medical coverage.

In 2006 returning after 4 years in the UK...it was a similar boat...this time I was again covered but we paid for private coverage for the rest of the gang, as the 3 month wait for NB coverage was still in effect.

I believe NB has lifted the 3 month wait time now...but on that I am not 100%.

Best regards.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

Canuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Allie73
I'm Canadian and my husband is British. Our kids have both Canadian and U.K. passports. I applied for their citizenship and once their cards arrived, I got their passports. I was told by a woman at Canada House in London that the kids needed to enter Canada on their Canadian passports when we move there.
We applied once we arrived in Canada. The kids were able to gain BC Medical through Canadian Dad without the need of Citizenship so we just applied when we got here. As long as there are no plans to leave in the duration of the application there should be no issues.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 4:43 am
Forum Regular

marielawson is a name known to allmarielawson is a name known to allmarielawson is a name known to allmarielawson is a name known to allmarielawson is a name known to allmarielawson is a name known to allmarielawson is a name known to allmarielawson is a name known to allmarielawson is a name known to allmarielawson is a name known to allmarielawson is a name known to all

Originally Posted by La_de_da_de_dum

Citizenship certificates can take up to one year to process so if you are looking to move out in the next few months the best thing to do will be to apply for canadian passports and citizenship at the same time for the children.

How can citizenship certificates take one year to be issued??? I find it absolutely outrageous!
Old Aug 26th 2010, 5:11 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by marielawson
How can citizenship certificates take one year to be issued??? I find it absolutely outrageous!
One word Volumes 57000 request for proofs in 2009 and 234,000 new applications and 258,000 applications in the inventory.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

Allie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond repute

[B]

Allie73 - will you be sponsoring your husband before you arrive in Canada or will you do it once you get there?l

I'm sponsoring him before we go. We sent our application in July and found out I've been approved to sponsor him last week. We'll put our house up for sale once we find out his visa has been approved.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

Allie73 - will you be sponsoring your husband before you arrive in Canada or will you do it once you get there?l

I'm sponsoring him before we go. We sent our application in July and found out I've been approved to sponsor him last week. We'll put our house up for sale once we find out his visa has been approved.

It took 11 months to get my first son's citizenship card when I applied in 2007, but we weren't in any hurry. When we decided to move to Canada, I contacted Canada House in London to see what would happen if we moved to Canada before our twins had their cards. She said they would need their Canadian passports to enter Canada when we moved there, and would need their citizenship cards before getting passports. She sent me the applications the next day and told me she would try to get them rushed. We had their cards within 2 months and their passports 2 weeks later. The woman I spoke to also told me that temporary passports could be issued for children under the age of 2 if their citizenship cards hadn't arrived in time.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 11:27 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
One word Volumes 57000 request for proofs in 2009 and 234,000 new applications and 258,000 applications in the inventory.
I think the term you are looking for is "insufficient staff".

Or inefficiency. Or both.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 1:17 pm
Just Joined

Hi
Can anyone tell me if we send the childrens applications for certificates along with my sponsorship?
If we have to send passports, or can it just be copies?
If passports are sent, how long do they usually take to get them back ?
Thanks
Old Aug 26th 2010, 2:23 pm
Just Joined

Boops is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. You need to apply for their citizenship and mark it as urgent if you want to move in the next few months. You do not need to send their passports with the application. Hopefully you will get them back within a few months and can then apply for their passports which should only take a couple of weeks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.