Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Changes to 'the list' of 38 (FSW visas) imminent!

Changes to 'the list' of 38 (FSW visas) imminent!

Old Apr 21st 2010, 6:21 am
Forum Regular

Jpod is a glorious beacon of lightJpod is a glorious beacon of lightJpod is a glorious beacon of lightJpod is a glorious beacon of lightJpod is a glorious beacon of lightJpod is a glorious beacon of lightJpod is a glorious beacon of lightJpod is a glorious beacon of lightJpod is a glorious beacon of lightJpod is a glorious beacon of lightJpod is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Changes to 'the list' of 38 (FSW visas) imminent!

Originally Posted by Kaye5
Fedex are doing their "next day" service at around 4 working days estimated delivery time. BUT - just heard UK air space now back open, so we MAY be ok...
Hi Kaye - would you recommend FedEx as a courier from the UK to Canada? I'll be sending my forms to Sydney this weekend and fingers crossed they will arrive before May 1st.

I wonder whether Immigration Canada might take the airport closures into account?

cheers

Jools
Old Apr 21st 2010, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

J0n35y will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Jpod
Hi Kaye - would you recommend FedEx as a courier from the UK to Canada? I'll be sending my forms to Sydney this weekend and fingers crossed they will arrive before May 1st.

I wonder whether Immigration Canada might take the airport closures into account?

cheers

Jools
I doubt they will take it into account to be honest. May 1 isnt a fixed date that they will announce changes.

But use Interparcel (google it) and you will be able to get tracked "document" deliver for about £18 using DHL. Quite a few on the forum have used them when sending stuff.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 8:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bali2010
oh dear, if financial managers go then might be harder to find work & that is if the rest of mine goes through ok (thankfully already got 120 day email)

I'm assuming your contact was personal rather than published so will wait
Wait and see Bali, at least it won't affect you
Old Apr 21st 2010, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Hubley, Nova Scotia (from Scotland via Yorkshire and London)
Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light

I haven't used any courier yet, so couldn't recommend one over the other. Fedex are not the cheapest, but it depends what service you are using. They quoted for what is usually their next day delivery to USA/Canada (certain locations). DHL quoted me on their 3 days service. These are all NORMAL timescales. So with the volcanic ash disruption, DHL quoted me 8 working days, which would get there after 1 May. Fedex quoted 4-5 working days (on their "next day" service, taking into account delays).

They are all rerouting through various ways, via France, for example - ie non-affected routes.

HOWEVER, this was all PRIOR to last night's reopening of UK airspace. I am hanging on to my docs, as I don't want to get stuck in a roundabout route, when at the weekend hopefully will be more or less back on schedule and going the direct (quick) route again.

Originally Posted by Jpod

cheers

Jools
Old Apr 21st 2010, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light

Latest update on DHL website
21.April 2010
Service disruption due to volcano eruption
The volcanic eruptions in Iceland have led to the closure of airspace over the majority of European countries. We are pleased to report these restrictions have now been lifted and DHL has immediately restored the full DHL dedicated Air network on Europe and Intercontinental lanes.

In our efforts to maintain the best possible service for our customers, we were able to maintain a reduced Intercontinental and Intra regional schedule everyday during this recent crisis. This was supported by the most extensive road network servicing all parts of Europe.

Please find the following service updates, which take effect from April 21, 2010:

For shipments picked up on Thursday, 22nd April 2010, normal service standards will apply
Old Apr 26th 2010, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

Jpod is a glorious beacon of lightJpod is a glorious beacon of lightJpod is a glorious beacon of lightJpod is a glorious beacon of lightJpod is a glorious beacon of lightJpod is a glorious beacon of lightJpod is a glorious beacon of lightJpod is a glorious beacon of lightJpod is a glorious beacon of lightJpod is a glorious beacon of lightJpod is a glorious beacon of light

Many thanks Kaye - I booked through Interparcel/FedEx and my application was collected today. Annoyingly though when I enter my tracking details on the Interparcel website I get a delivery estimate of 3rd May. When I got the initial quote they were quoting 1-4 working days through FedEx.

Oh well its in the laps of the gods now! Serves me right for waiting until the last minute. If it does arrive after May 1st I can only hope that (a) my NOC occupation (college instructor) remains on the list or (b) the cut-off date is after May 1st!!

Thanks again for all your help and advice.

Jools

I haven't used any courier yet, so couldn't recommend one over the other. Fedex are not the cheapest, but it depends what service you are using. They quoted for what is usually their next day delivery to USA/Canada (certain locations). DHL quoted me on their 3 days service. These are all NORMAL timescales. So with the volcanic ash disruption, DHL quoted me 8 working days, which would get there after 1 May. Fedex quoted 4-5 working days (on their "next day" service, taking into account delays).

They are all rerouting through various ways, via France, for example - ie non-affected routes.

HOWEVER, this was all PRIOR to last night's reopening of UK airspace. I am hanging on to my docs, as I don't want to get stuck in a roundabout route, when at the weekend hopefully will be more or less back on schedule and going the direct (quick) route again.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

We're exactly the same. Sent by courier today - have been given TWO different estimated times of delivery, so we will just wait and see. Not sure I can even dare to look at the tracking this week....

I think all couriers are hedging their bets and giving a worst possible scenario, so don't lose hope yet.

Also college instructors, so we are in the same boat. Well, if we fail, there are other routes in, just back to square one. We couldn't honestly send until today, so we had no choice but to wait.

Fingers crossed for both of us.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 4:43 am
Forum Regular

ali2010 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

My question is, what if our applications received before 1st May to CIC, Sydney for assessment. Will our applications not be affected by new changes?

Regards,
Old Apr 27th 2010, 5:45 am
BE Enthusiast

crazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nice

Originally Posted by ali2010
Hi,

My question is, what if our applications received before 1st May to CIC, Sydney for assessment. Will our applications not be affected by new changes?
Nobody knows. Last time CIC made the change it was applied retroactively to all applications received after certain date (Feb 28 2008), regardless the fact that details of changes were published almost 10 months after the cut-off date (Nov 2008).

CIC may for example say today, tomorrow or month from now that all applications received after Dec 31, Jan 31, Feb 28, Mar 31, Apr 30, etc. (take your pick) will be subject to new rules or new Ministerial Instructions or new occupations list - while such new rules or instructions or list of occupations may be published at any time prior to or after the cut-off date.

Everyone applying desperately now can only hope that cut-off date will come after their application is received by CIC, hoping is all they can do.

Read PMM's reply in this post:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...php?t=665633#2

Last edited by crazy72; Apr 27th 2010 at 5:48 am. Reason: updated
Old Apr 27th 2010, 6:45 am
Forum Regular

ali2010 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmm,

Ya i have read that message just after i posted question over here.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 7:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by crazy72
Nobody knows. Last time CIC made the change it was applied retroactively to all applications received after certain date (Feb 28 2008), regardless the fact that details of changes were published almost 10 months after the cut-off date (Nov 2008).
I'll probably be shot down for this...

I thought that it was that applications made between the two dates which had occupations on the newly announced List were placed in the new Priority Processing, the others were left to languish in the old system (ie, people could not be expected to "self screen" before the new rules were published). But they didn't throw them out of processing completely.

On that basis, it could be that they just dump us "desperates" into a non-priority queue, in which case, we may be better off looking for another route.

I think PMM's saying a similar thing is possible - ie what they could do is take all of those in processing right now under the current rules - and see if they then would become ineligible under the new rules. If so, they could "fail" as they would not be eligible at the time of issuing the PR visa.

Don't shout at me if I've misunderstood this..... it's only the way I read it...and I'm probably not explaining what I mean very well....
Old Apr 27th 2010, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

crazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nice

Don't shout at me if I've misunderstood this..... it's only the way I read it...and I'm probably not explaining what I mean very well....
I think you've got the implications of section 77 or Regulations quite right.

There is also another rule as well as one of the policy elements that are too often overlooked by almost everyone.

- Current law doesn't guarantee visa even if application was accepted and assessed positively - law only states that visa may be issued (until Feb 2008 law was stating that visa shall be issued)

- The idea behind and policy for implementation of Ministerial Instructions were (and still are) - only applications from candidates eligible to apply will be processed and only until visa quotas for the year is exhausted. Once visas quota for particular visa post is used up the remaining (otherwise eligible) applications are to be returned without further processing, although together with processing fees. This is implemented to assure processing time of 12 months or less and to eliminate a possibility of creation of another backlog.

We are about to see sometimes in next 6 to 8 months reports from eligible applicants who got their applications returned due to the lack of visas quota for the year.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hm. Was feeling fairly positive until I read that....

So... if we do get lucky and get our application accepted by CIO for processing, may be better not to rush our 120 day papers too much, so we are up for visa issuing early 2011? Or is that too simple....?

Would probably be that timescale anyway I would think for people putting applications now.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 4:31 am
BE Enthusiast

So... if we do get lucky and get our application accepted by CIO for processing, may be better not to rush our 120 day papers too much, so we are up for visa issuing early 2011? Or is that too simple....?
I have no clue how it will work...
Old Apr 29th 2010, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by crazy72
I have no clue how it will work...
Does anyone?

Our application was delivered by the courier and signed for yesterday!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.