British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Changes to 'the list' of 38 (FSW visas) imminent! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/changes-list-38-fsw-visas-imminent-659730/)

christmasoompa Mar 16th 2010 9:37 pm

Changes to 'the list' of 38 (FSW visas) imminent!

Just announced today...........http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/departm...2010-03-16.asp

Looks as if the list of 'occupations in demand' will be changing shortly, so if you're currently eligible as a SW and thinking of applying, don't delay.

lifeisajourney Mar 16th 2010 11:54 pm

Re: Changes to FSW visas imminent!

Interesting ........

Definitely second the "get a move on if you're currently on the list" sentiments.

On the plus side it means they might be attempting to be really in tune with what the country needs in terms of skills etc and really aiming to keep the backlog and processing times down. On the more realistic side it'll be interesting to see how long it actually takes them to agree on the new list......

christmasoompa Mar 17th 2010 8:01 am

Re: Changes to FSW visas imminent!

Originally Posted by lifeisajourney (Post 8425508)
On the plus side it means they might be attempting to be really in tune with what the country needs in terms of skills etc and really aiming to keep the backlog and processing times down. On the more realistic side it'll be interesting to see how long it actually takes them to agree on the new list......

Processing times are only around 7 months anyway, not sure they'll get it much quicker than that!

Professional opinion seems to be that the new list will take effect some time in May. Plus it's worth bearing in mind for anybody reading that not only will 'the list' change, but that other changes may take place to cat 2 & 3 applications.

rubberduckofdeath Mar 17th 2010 8:11 am

Re: Changes to 'the list' of 38 (FSW visas) imminent!

I really hope they don't change the jobs on the list and drop ours! :(

JET747 Mar 17th 2010 8:28 am

From what I understand, if you are already being processed from the current list then it wil not affect you.

JET:)

rubberduckofdeath Mar 17th 2010 8:41 am

We're not applying until mid-July! Doh!

We're applying under 0213 (IT manager) so I'm hoping that'll stay on the list...

christmasoompa Mar 17th 2010 8:43 am

Originally Posted by rubberduckofdeath (Post 8426210)
I really hope they don't change the jobs on the list and drop ours! :(

As Jet said, if you have already got your application in then you don't need to worry, it's only new applications that will be affected.

But if your job is currently on the list and you haven't yet applied, then don't delay and make sure you get it in before mid April. Otherwise, they may well take your job off the list and you would no longer be eligible to apply.

christmasoompa Mar 17th 2010 8:44 am

Originally Posted by rubberduckofdeath (Post 8426264)
We're not applying until mid-July! Doh!

We're applying under 0213 (IT manager) so I'm hoping that'll stay on the list...

Not sure it will given the feedback from people on this forum about the lack of IT jobs in Canada, don't think there is the same demand for IT Managers that there was 2 years ago somehow (when the current list was compiled). That is just a guess though.

I really wouldn't wait until July to apply unless you're prepared to have to find another way to get to Canada. Why can't you apply before that?

rubberduckofdeath Mar 17th 2010 8:45 am

It's a PITA. We're both on eligible jobs right now (0213), but we've less than the 1 year experience. Fingers crossed eh! Otherwise it'll be temporary permits and going from there...

christmasoompa Mar 17th 2010 8:51 am

Originally Posted by rubberduckofdeath (Post 8426276)
It's a PITA. We're both on eligible jobs right now (0213), but we've less than the 1 year experience. Fingers crossed eh! Otherwise it'll be temporary permits and going from there...

Ah, I see. Well fingers crossed for you then! :)

Kaye5 Mar 17th 2010 1:48 pm

We're the same. 1 year exactly on 23 April. Trying to grab some extra days from part time work in same occupation. Might be one week only, so takes us to 19 April when we can apply.

Hope they don't change the List on the Monday following the 16th April......

rubberduckofdeath Mar 17th 2010 1:50 pm

I'm hoping that it'll take them a few months to bring together all of the information, make decisions etc. Hopefully it'll give us the time we need to get our application in...

Eep.

christmasoompa Mar 17th 2010 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by rubberduckofdeath (Post 8426872)
I'm hoping that it'll take them a few months to bring together all of the information, make decisions etc. Hopefully it'll give us the time we need to get our application in...

Eep.

I wouldn't count on it taking 'a few months' tbh. Expert opinion is that the new list will take effect sometime in May (2-6 weeks after the deadline). But hopefully they'll leave your occupation on the list so you can still apply.

:fingerscrossed:

rubberduckofdeath Mar 17th 2010 7:09 pm

I hope so, I really do! I'd prefer not to have to look into alternative routes. Thanks for the information and replies though - I'll just have to watch this space... :)

AhmadQ Mar 17th 2010 9:01 pm

Hi

Are there big chances for "0213: Computer and Information Systems Managers" occupation to be removed from the list?

I know that nobody can give a decisive answer, but feedback from experts who have good knowledge of Canadian labor market will be useful.

Thanks
Ahmad