Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

CEC by working in Canada for UK based company

CEC by working in Canada for UK based company

Old Mar 29th 2017, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

j4335 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CEC by working in Canada for UK based company

Hey, I'm currently in the process of moving to Toronto (on IEC) and told my boss in the UK that I will be leaving. I work as a software developer and I'm able to work remotely and my boss said that he wants me to continue working for them and has even offered to register a Canadian office so that it counts towards Canadian experience.

I however am a bit skeptical at whether just setting up a Canadian company and paying me through that would be enough especially if they see that I was working for the same company in the UK.

So my question is would I be able to apply for PR via the CEC if my currently employer just registered a Canadian office?
Old Mar 29th 2017, 10:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CEC by working in Canada for UK based company

From the CIC website

To apply for permanent residence under the Canadian Experience Class, your skilled work experience must:

be in a job classified as skill type 0, or skill level A or B according to the 2011 National Occupational Classification,
amount to at least one year of full-time (or an equal amount in part-time) in the previous three years,
have been with an employer in Canada (self-employment does not count),
be gained with the proper legal authorization (for example, as a documented worker with a valid work permit), and
not be gained while you were studying on a student permit.

Emphasis on Canadian employer. Anyone can basically register a company in Canada. I highly doubt your situation would be seen as working for a Canadian employer if the employer is paying you from the UK and was actually your employer prior to applying for the CEC.
There is nothing to stop you being employed by a Canadian employer and continuing to do online work with your current employer. Might be a bit of a mare come tax time.
What kind of work experience do I need to apply for permanent residence under the Canadian Experience Class?
Old Mar 29th 2017, 10:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with FL: CEC: means working in Canada for a Canadian employer.
Old Mar 30th 2017, 4:38 pm
Just Joined

j4335 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah this is what I thought.

Thanks for the extra info too.
Old Mar 31st 2017, 1:12 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

If one is working for a corporation, then they are an employee, irrespective of who owns the shares. They are not self employed. Self employed is as a proprietorship or partnership. Employees and the owners of a company may be the same, but they are two separate entities.

If the OP were to work for the UK employer and get other clients, ideally in Canada, the chances may be better.