Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Canadian Citizenship - Test & Ceremony

Canadian Citizenship - Test & Ceremony

Old Apr 27th 2010, 11:49 am
Just Joined

dave_pious is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canadian Citizenship - Test & Ceremony

To become a citizen, applicants need to attend a test, possible meeting with magistrate, and ceremony.

The authorities inform the applicant of the date of the dates of these.

My question is : How rigid are these dates ?

For e.g, once the date of the (say) Test is notified to me, can I ask for an extension? If so, for how long (3 months? 6 months?).

Thanks
Old Apr 27th 2010, 12:47 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian Citizenship - Test & Ceremony

You would need to show some sort of exceptional reason for a reschedule, a pre existing impediment to attending as it were.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 4:10 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

And rescheduling could mean a delay of months, risk of file being lost, etc.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 5:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold

This one's been kind of bugging us a little also.

We have to do a lot of travelling for work, and dates are not flexible (working with provincial governments, flexibility isn't their strong point!).

OH sent off his application in January 2010, we haven't received acknowledgement of receipt yet, and based on readings here, current processing time is around 15-17 months end to end, which would put us into next spring (which is also our busy travelling season).

They also mention "you'll be notified IF you have to take the test"...has anyone heard of someone who doesn't have to take the test? Or is it similar to the cases in the UK where, if you are over a certain age, you do not have to take the test or prove English skills?
Old Apr 28th 2010, 5:12 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cov-canuck
They also mention "you'll be notified IF you have to take the test"...has anyone heard of someone who doesn't have to take the test? Or is it similar to the cases in the UK where, if you are over a certain age, you do not have to take the test or prove English skills?
Kids and old people dont have to take the test. Everyone else does, so yes, like the UK I guess.
Old May 3rd 2010, 5:34 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...test-faq04.asp

The citizenship test

What if I cannot attend the citizenship test I am scheduled for?

Notify the citizenship office immediately and another citizenship test will be scheduled as soon as possible. If you do not appear for the test and do not notify the citizenship office, you will be scheduled for an interview with a citizenship judge.

You will receive two notices to appear for an interview:

The first notice will be sent to you by regular mail advising of the date and time for an interview.
If you do not appear for the interview on the scheduled time and date, a second and final notice will be sent to you by registered mail. This second notice will give you a new time and date for an interview to occur at least seven days later.
If you do not appear at this second scheduled date and time for an interview, your application will be considered abandoned and your file will be closed. You will then have to fill out another application form and pay the fee to go through the entire process again.

The citizenship test

How long will it be before I am notified to write the citizenship test?
You can check the status of your application online. You can also check the status of your application by contacting the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) Call Centre.

You should begin to study for the citizenship test when you receive the study guide Discover Canada: The Rights and Responsibilities of Citizenship You will get this guide in the mail once your application is accepted for processing.

You will receive a letter telling you when and where to go for a test. If you move to a new address, you must inform us. You can update your address online, or you can contact the Call Centre.

The citizenship ceremony

What if I am unable to attend the ceremony?
Contact the citizenship office immediately. You will be rescheduled for another ceremony as soon as possible.

If you do not come to the ceremony and do not contact the citizenship office within 60 days, your application will be considered abandoned and your file will be closed.

You cannot take the oath outside Canada

NB: Having read the cut off age for having to take the test, I am now offically "OLD" lmao !!!