canada student visa

Old Jan 8th 2012, 6:47 am
Just Joined

rafique1947 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool canada student visa

hi,
I want to come toronto on student visa i want to know about student jobs and other major problems student face there.,infact i want to make sure that canada is good for students.
Old Jan 8th 2012, 8:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: canada student visa

Originally Posted by rafique1947
hi,
I want to come toronto on student visa i want to know about student jobs and other major problems student face there.,infact i want to make sure that canada is good for students.
Presumably you are aware that you cannot work at all for the first six months of a study permit, and then only 20 hours a week on campus after that (or off campus if you apply for an off campus permit)?

It's certainly not a cheap route by the time you've paid fees and factored in the $10k per year living expenses you need to show, so you'll need most of the money up front rather than relying on a job.

But if you do a search of the forum you'll find info on study permits and students in Toronto - which university/college are you planning on attending?

Old Jan 8th 2012, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: canada student visa

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Presumably you are aware that you cannot work at all for the first six months of a study permit, and then only 20 hours a week on campus after that (or off campus if you apply for an off campus permit)?
Well, I've been told you can work part time (20hr/week) on campus from day 1 and full time during school breaks. After 6 months of studying and provided you are in good standing with tuition fees and grades, can apply for an open work permit which allows for 20hr/week and full time during school breaks, off campus.

This from visa advisors at universities and colleges I visited in November 2011.

Working on campus:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-oncampus.asp

Working off campus:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-offcampus.asp

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/w...campus-who.asp

If you want to work off campus, make sure you apply to a school that is on this list:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/i...rticipants.asp

Last edited by YYZlover; Jan 8th 2012 at 12:12 pm.