Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Canada Spousal Immigration - first steps

Canada Spousal Immigration - first steps

Old Jun 21st 2011, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

mudcat is a jewel in the roughmudcat is a jewel in the roughmudcat is a jewel in the roughmudcat is a jewel in the rough
Default Canada Spousal Immigration - first steps

Hi there,

Myself and my partner are about to embark on the process of getting me a family class visa for PR.

Our situation:
We stay in London, UK. I'm a British citizen and always have been. My partner is a Canadian citizen and always has been but has been here since Nov 2008, and we are going for common law partnership as we have lived together over 2 years. We will most likely be applying from London UK.

We've had a good look around this site and the CIC site so are pretty much on top of the application however have a couple of questions we can't find the answers to:

I was in Australia for a year on a Working Holiday Visa - the police checks are needed for countries resided in for over 6 months. Do I therefore need the police check? not sure if I actually resided there or was just on holiday. I am also aware I need a statement from VIC Roads which I have the info for.

2nd - given my partner can go back and work at any point (although can stay here until 2013) and I am in a position to go with her at any point and would probably find work quite easily ( IT infrastructure plus project management), is there another type of visa we should consider? Possibly including a work permit as an interim solution? ( leave to come back to the UK during processing and limiting job hopping are considerations)

3rd - would it help if we just got married?

Thanks!
Old Jun 21st 2011, 8:39 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada Spousal Immigration - first steps

If you are applying outland (ie getting your application processed in the UK) it's only taking around 4 or so months at the minute to do - getting a work permit via a job offer and all the hassel that goes with it would probably take a lot longer.

This isn't advice by any stretch of the imagination but if I were in your shoes i'd just apply common law( you've been together long enough) and wait til you get pr.

You could get married but it really wouldn't make things happen any quicker - the only difference between being common law and being married, is the documentation you send in your application. Ie for common law you have to prove you have been living together as man and wife, so you eed to gether all the evidence of that (joint bank statements / rent / mortgage agreements / life insurances naming each other as beneficiaries etc.

don't know the answer to your question about the Oz police cert, but i''d say get one, you wre afterall there for longer than 6 months.
Old Jun 21st 2011, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

mudcat is a jewel in the roughmudcat is a jewel in the roughmudcat is a jewel in the roughmudcat is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the fast response! taken your advice onboard and will get on with arranging oz cert and continuing with outland application tomorrow, thanks!!!
Old Jun 21st 2011, 8:51 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
If you are applying outland (ie getting your application processed in the UK) it's only taking around 4 or so months at the minute to do - getting a work permit via a job offer and all the hassel that goes with it would probably take a lot longer.

This isn't advice by any stretch of the imagination but if I were in your shoes i'd just apply common law( you've been together long enough) and wait til you get pr.

You could get married but it really wouldn't make things happen any quicker - the only difference between being common law and being married, is the documentation you send in your application. Ie for common law you have to prove you have been living together as man and wife, so you eed to gether all the evidence of that (joint bank statements / rent / mortgage agreements / life insurances naming each other as beneficiaries etc.

don't know the answer to your question about the Oz police cert, but i''d say get one, you wre afterall there for longer than 6 months.
Needs an Oz Police certificate as well as a Traffic History Report
Old Jun 21st 2011, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

Yes I will also be getting a notice from Vic Roads (as I stayed in Melbourne)

Traffic history reports can be bought through their site - https://www5a.maxi.com.au/epp/vrd/Dr...sp?pr=2&step=1

As I didn't have a license I need a statement from them to say that, the process for this ( as discussed with their general call centre this morning) is to:

fax 61 3 9854 2688 with:
Name, DOB, place of residence, What's needed (details of the enquiry) and whether or not a license is held and any points or convictions picked up.

hopefully they route it correctly from there.