Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Can you get a Work Permit/Visa after applying for PR?

Can you get a Work Permit/Visa after applying for PR?

Old Jul 31st 2008, 9:54 pm
Account Closed

Angela and Brett is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can you get a Work Permit/Visa after applying for PR?

I understand it can expedite your PR if you have a job to go to but what if you apply for your PR can you still get your PR application speeded up if you then get ajob.

It's just we are unsure what part of Canada we def want to live so we want to spend quite a bit of time over there, pick the right area, apply for the PR, and hopefully get a job offer.

I assume you have to select what part of Canada to apply for the PR Visa?
Old Jul 31st 2008, 10:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can you get a Work Permit/Visa after applying for PR?

If you are applying via the SW route the forms ask you to name a place but you don't have to stick to that. If you go through PNP you have to go to where you are nominated as it is tied to a job.

You can apply for a WP at any time whether or not you have a SW application in and if you get a job offer and go on a WP you can fast track your PR.

There is loads of info on this in the WIKI pages. Have a read through as the info is really useful.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 11:41 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Destinationnovascotia has given you good information, but I just want to add to it.

Originally Posted by Angela and Brett
what if you apply for your PR can you still get your PR application speeded up if you then get ajob.
In theory, yes. In practice, not necessarily.

It has been observed quite a few times on this forum that people's PR applications were not expedited (or certainly did not seem to be expedited) when they requested that their previously submitted PR applications be expedited on the basis of permanent job offers.

For example, there was a person who had, let's say, a temporary work permit that was valid for two years. Soon after that, his temporary employer offered him a permanent job. The applicant sent an updated PR application that superceded the previously submitted one, and asked that it be fast tracked on the basis of his permanent job offer. Well, Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) did nothing for quite a while. Eventually they processed his PR application, but it looked as if they processed it in the time frame in which they would have processed it anyway.

My guess is that there were two things going on:
  1. CIC thought to themselves, "Oh well, there's no rush. This guy's PR application in any case should be processed before his TWP expires, even if we just let his PR application follow its natural course. So we won't intervene."

2. CIC thought to themselves, "We have to dig into our files, find his previously submitted PR application, and reconcile it with this new package he's sent us. Thanks but no thanks."
It's just we are unsure what part of Canada we def want to live so we want to spend quite a bit of time over there, pick the right area, apply for the PR, and hopefully get a job offer.
In my opinion, you should get a job offer before you submit your PR applications. I can't remember if you've shared with us what your occupations are and whether your occupations are in demand. If you submit a PR application that is not backed up by pre-arranged employment, and if the principal applicant's occupation is not in red hot demand in Canada, your application will be rejected without a further look.

I really believe it's to your advantage to secure work first and then apply for entry to Canada.

Basically, you have two feasible options:

I assume you have to select what part of Canada to apply for the PR Visa?
As DNS said, you nominally have to put something down on your application, but your intended destination is not important (except in the case of a Provincial Nominee Program, when it is important).
x
Old Jul 31st 2008, 11:51 pm
Account Closed

My husband is an Aircraft engineer who mainly has experience on Military and private aircraft though he can work on commercial aircraft and has done.

I have never gone to college but have many years in Customer Service, 2 years as Customer Service Supervisor, also accounts/admin for a number of years.

I suppose it worries us about getting a TWP and what if the employment isn't as described and we want to get another job I assume if you are tied to one company you are then stuck?

Also would anyone know if we both have to have jobs or is just one of us enough?

I guess I am unsure how the PR process works. He is the main bread winner here and will be there as well. I will be spending alot of time back and forth to the states for family so it will be difficult for me to hold down a job.

We want to also keep our UK company going if at all possible but again we are unsure how this affects a PR application.

We supply contractors to work on planes and helicopters in the UK.

Thanks for the advice.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 2:33 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

My husband is an Aircraft engineer who mainly has experience on Military and private aircraft though he can work on commercial aircraft and has done.
You need to go to the National Occupational Classification and ascertain exactly which kind of aircraft engineer or aerospace engineer your husband is. There is more than one. I am guessing from what you've said that he is an aircraft maintenance engineer, which is one of the job titles for NOC Code #7315.

That would be good, because it would mean he belonged to Skill Level B on the National Occupational Classification Matrix. That, in turn, means that he would be classified as a skilled worker.

But look through all the job descriptions, and get the right NOC Code. The job title is irrelevant. The job description is the important thing. More than 50% of the duties in a given job description must match with what your husband has done.

As far as I can tell, it doesn't matter if he is one of the other kinds of aircraft or aerospace engineers, from the point of view that they all come under the skilled worker umbrella (Skill Level 0, A or B on the NOC Matrix).

I have never gone to college but have many years in Customer Service, 2 years as Customer Service Supervisor, also accounts/admin for a number of years.
That doesn't matter, because you are not going to be the principal applicant.

I suppose it worries us about getting a TWP and what if the employment isn't as described and we want to get another job I assume if you are tied to one company you are then stuck?
Yes. That is one of the disadvantages of a TWP. You can resign from the job and get another prospective employer to apply for a Labour Market Opinion (LMO), and then apply for another TWP. But that is not without risks. See Work Permit Complications.

Also would anyone know if we both have to have jobs or is just one of us enough?
One is enough. At the time that your husband applies for his TWP, it would be prudent if you were to include a spousal open work permit (SOWP) application for yourself with his application. This is just in case you find that you do want to work when you're in Canada. See instructions in the Wiki called Spousal Open Work Permit.

I guess I am unsure how the PR process works. He is the main bread winner here and will be there as well. I will be spending alot of time back and forth to the states for family so it will be difficult for me to hold down a job.
While your husband is in Canada on a TWP and you are his accompanying dependent (or you have an SOWP), you can flit in and out of Canada as often as you like.

It's obvious that he will be the principal PR applicant. When his PR visa is issued, your PR visa will be issued at the same time. Each of you will need to leave and re-enter Canada in order to "land" and activate your PR status. If you wish, this can be a simple trip around the flagpole.

The principal applicant must "land" at the same time as, or prior to, his/her accompanying dependents. The accompanying dependent(s) must land at the same time as, or after, the principal applicant.

From the moment that you "land" and become a permanent resident of Canada, you must meet your residency obligations. That means you must spend a cumulated total of two years out of any five year period in Canada.

If you later become a Canadian citizen, you can leave for as long as you like (as the law now stands).

We want to also keep our UK company going if at all possible but again we are unsure how this affects a PR application.

We supply contractors to work on planes and helicopters in the UK.
I don't see any problem with this.

I am not in a position to tell you whether or not your husband will be allowed to continue running his UK company while he's working in Canada on a TWP.

However, if you're in Canada on a spousal open work permit, you can do whatever you like. You (nominally) could be the one who issues the instructions to the UK company.

Oh yes, I notice that NOC Code #7315 is on the Occupations under Pressure (OUP) list for British Columbia. That gives you an indication that it should be feasible for your husband to get a job in that province and get a TWP on the basis of that job offer. You should check all the OUP lists, just in case 7315 is listed elsewhere.

Hope that helps.
x
Old Aug 1st 2008, 2:45 am
Account Closed

Thanks so much Judy, looking over some of the job details my husband has done most things listed.

Its a shame only British Columbia seems to have the OUP, I was hoping for a move to Quebec or Ontario. I guess I'll have to find out about BC.

I thought its a much harsher climate.

Does this mean he can only get a job in BC or does that just depend on where he gets a job offer from?

Sorry about all the questions I get so confused.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 2:59 am
Now on Vancouver Island

I thought its a much harsher climate.
Not at all. I'm moving to BC for its milder climate.

But then BC is the size of France and Germany combined, and does have very varied climates.

The coastal climate is similar to that of the UK.

Does this mean he can only get a job in BC or does that just depend on where he gets a job offer from?
When an occupation is listed as an OUP in a given province, the prospective employer's required advertising time across Canada is reduced from three months to seven days.

I use the OUP lists mainly as a rough indicator of where the labour shortages are.

But there are members of this forum who have obtained LMOs and TWPs in provinces in which their occupations have not been listed on the OUPs for the relevant provinces.
x