Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Can someone tell me if this is possible

Can someone tell me if this is possible

Old Mar 19th 2009, 8:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond repute
Default Can someone tell me if this is possible

I need to extend my visitors visa to be able to stay with my boyfriend, we want to get married. I Just got my divorce through and was thinking about getting married ASAP (quick ceremony for the certificate)..
then later in the summer have a proper ceremony.

Can we Pay for a temporary visitors extension online and pay for PR (spouse) online at the same time....send away trv stating that a PR (spouse) application is being made and provide the receipt as documentary evidence, then send in the PR application ASAP.

Would this be enough to get an initial temporary residents visa for 6 months?
Old Mar 19th 2009, 8:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can someone tell me if this is possible

I would imagine it would be fine, as long as you can provide the requisite proof of supporting funds. But hopefully an expert will see this and confirm.

Out of interest, do you live with your boyfriend and if so, how long have you lived with him? And how old are you? Sorry for the personal questions but just trying to see if there is another option for you!

Last edited by christmasoompa; Mar 19th 2009 at 8:33 pm.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 8:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I would imagine it would be fine, as long as you can provide the requisite proof of supporting funds.

Out of interest, do you live with your boyfriend and if so, how long have you lived with him? And how old are you? Sorry for the personal questions but just trying to see if there is another option for you!

my daughter and I have been living with him since November...I am 28 and he is 37.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 8:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottish_maple
my daughter and I have been living with him since November...I am 28 and he is 37.
Ok, in which case common-law sponsorship isn't an option.

The only thing you could look into is Bunac (just Google it) - it's a years open work permit for people aged under 30 so would mean you could be legally in Canada for another year, after which you could either apply for spousal or common-law sponsorship.

Only problem is that I know you can't apply if you have dependent children - but as your daughter is already in Canada, I'm not sure if that rule would apply to you? I assume it's to stop people trying to get visas for children, but if you were happy for your daughter to stay on a visitors visa (i.e. without healthcare and schooling, etc) then it could work. Worth a quick check anyway.

Old Mar 21st 2009, 9:40 pm
Just Joined

kris_66 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Ok, in which case common-law sponsorship isn't an option.

The only thing you could look into is Bunac (just Google it) - it's a years open work permit for people aged under 30 so would mean you could be legally in Canada for another year, after which you could either apply for spousal or common-law sponsorship.

Only problem is that I know you can't apply if you have dependent children - but as your daughter is already in Canada, I'm not sure if that rule would apply to you? I assume it's to stop people trying to get visas for children, but if you were happy for your daughter to stay on a visitors visa (i.e. without healthcare and schooling, etc) then it could work. Worth a quick check anyway.

I've looked up the Bunac permits as im in a similar situation and im staying with my girlfiend( who has PR ),but they kinda pricey with all the insurance and all at the end of it.Are there any other routes to takes other than Bunac,for an open work permit?
Old Mar 21st 2009, 11:17 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottish_maple
I need to extend my visitors visa to be able to stay with my boyfriend, we want to get married. I Just got my divorce through and was thinking about getting married ASAP (quick ceremony for the certificate)..
then later in the summer have a proper ceremony.

Can we Pay for a temporary visitors extension online and pay for PR (spouse) online at the same time....send away trv stating that a PR (spouse) application is being made and provide the receipt as documentary evidence, then send in the PR application ASAP.

Would this be enough to get an initial temporary residents visa for 6 months?
Yes, you can submit them both applications together and in fact this is the best way to do but, as per Christmasoompa's response above, you have to have been living together for at least 12 months to apply for Common-Law sponsorship or you would need to be married before submitting a sponsorship application.

But you can apply for a Visitor Visa extention for another 6 months anyway.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul Wildy
Yes, you can submit them both applications together and in fact this is the best way to do but, as per Christmasoompa's response above, you have to have been living together for at least 12 months to apply for Common-Law sponsorship or you would need to be married before submitting a sponsorship application.

But you can apply for a Visitor Visa extention for another 6 months anyway.
If you have the support funds ask for a years ext as the ext costs the same

dont forget to show a full years supporting funds which is twice the landing funds plus evidence of full health insurance
so long as you can prove you are not going to be burden to canada and have the means and intention to leave should anything go wrong with PR you should be fine

good luck
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 1:15 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chumley
If you have the support funds ask for a years ext as the ext costs the same

dont forget to show a full years supporting funds which is twice the landing funds plus evidence of full health insurance
so long as you can prove you are not going to be burden to canada and have the means and intention to leave should anything go wrong with PR you should be fine

good luck
It's definitely worth asking for 1 year but in my experience they seem to be reluctant to extend for more than 6 months at a time even if there is sufficient financial support.