Can I afford to make the move?

Old Jun 16th 2020, 8:06 pm
Just Joined

Lauren_mhari is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can I afford to make the move?

My partner and myself have been thinking about moving to Canada for a long time now. We have 3 small children aged 6,4&3. I was wondering how much it will cost us to go through the application process? Medical and police checks.
Old Jun 16th 2020, 9:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I afford to make the move?

Originally Posted by Lauren_mhari
My partner and myself have been thinking about moving to Canada for a long time now. We have 3 small children aged 6,4&3. I was wondering how much it will cost us to go through the application process? Medical and police checks.
Hi, welcome to BE.

It’ll depend on the visa route, can you be more specific as to which you’d be hoping to apply under? As a rough guide, about £3-4K will cover most visa fees, medicals, police certs etc. If it’s a PNP add on another chunk usually. That will need to be in addition to your proof of funds amount to get the visa.

For details of the cost of the whole move, it’s a bit out of date now but this thread has some useful figures in - cost of moving to canada

HTH, best of luck.
Old Jun 16th 2020, 9:29 pm
Just Joined

Lauren_mhari is an unknown quantity at this point

My partner is a Mechanic so we would be hoping to get us over on a visa that allows him to work. Tbh there are too many options and we are pretty clueless about it all.
Old Jun 17th 2020, 3:38 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lauren_mhari
My partner is a Mechanic so we would be hoping to get us over on a visa that allows him to work. Tbh there are too many options and we are pretty clueless about it all.
Do you mean you would like to live in Canada permanently or just want to 'try it out' for a couple of years or so as a temporary worker?
https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Quick...an_Immigration

Regardless, he will need to apply for a Provincial Certificate of Qualification as Mechanic (Auto Technician) is a regulated trade. He will be able to use proof of the hours of experience he has to 'challenge' as an experienced worker. For Ontario this would be the process he would need to follow: https://www.collegeoftrades.ca/wp-co...March-2020.pdf (opens in new tab, no download).
Links to each Provincial Licensing body can be found here: https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/marketrepo...ments/14799/ca

Once he has his C. of Q he can apply for jobs (but is unlikely to be successful applying from overseas - see our wiki on job hunting) - and the employer would need to pay $1000 and apply for consent to employ him, proving that there are no Canadians nor Permanent Residents able or willing to do the job and see if they could get approval to employ him - an LMIA - not an easy task.
Once he has his C of Q he may be able to apply under Federal Skilled Worker (Trades) for Express Entry for Permanent Residence - as the requirement is to have either a C of Q or a valid job offer..

Have you checked your points for Express Entry? Assume for the points calculator that you have taken IELTS English test and have gained high points.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ess-entry.html

Last edited by Siouxie; Jun 17th 2020 at 3:40 am.
Old Aug 13th 2020, 6:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

OP Did you make any progress ?