Calgary, yay!!

Old Nov 16th 2009, 2:17 am
mpj
Just Joined

mpj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Calgary, yay!!

Hey folks

Landed in Calgary and just set up in my new digs and the place is as cool as I remember!

I am still navigating driving and making a few mistakes but learning.

On that note I need to start car shopping tomorrow and get it sorted this week as the hire car is due back - O no!!! I am looking for used and low end budget. I know I can use Kiiji amongst other things but I have never bought a car out here (am from the UK) before. As far as I am aware I should get a mechanic to check it all over - any ides on cost and where one starts to find these dudes - Yellow Pages? I should also complete all the usual checks myself and VIN number amongst other things - any info on what I am checking for registration would be helpful, like how do I know it is all kosher, will there be some form of certificate?

Finally, can I get by (Calgary winter approaching) without organizing winter tyres if the tyres are a good quality? And where does one start with car insurance, are there sites like supermarket.com over here which find you the best quote AND is it all very expensive?

Also "hitting the pavement" job hunting this week - it is all happening, lol!

Thanks for any info in advance - have a cool evening.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 2:27 am
Just Joined

maggiekeefe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Calgary, yay!!

We have been in Canada since November 2005, in Calgary since June this year and have never had winter tyres, we seem to have done ok without them.

Another good website is www.usedcalgary.com for all things used
and www.calgaryjobshop.ca is a great job site

http://www.discovercalgary.com/Busin...istryServices/ list of registry offices to get your plate.

http://www.canadiandirect.com/ this is where we got our car insurance from we found them cheaper than the rest.

Hope that helps
Old Nov 16th 2009, 5:02 am
Forum Regular

brummi is on a distinguished road

Hi and welcome to Calgary

I can't help with the car buying bit as I had major help with that one but as far as insurance goes I found a broker called Morgex who found me the cheapest cover by far. To get the cheapest rate you'll need to provide 6 years proof of no claims (if you have it). If you can't provide that then you'll be looking at a hefty premium!

You will have to go to a registry place to get your drivers licence. You will have to give them your UK licence (card and paper one). Also, when you get a car you need to buy a registration plate which you can get at the same place. This is a useful site: http://www.ama.ab.ca/cps/rde/xchg/am...registries.htm

I would recommend you get winter tyres. All season tyres are ok but I still think it's worth getting the winter ones as the roads can get very icy.

I hope you are enjoying being here, it's a great place
Old Nov 16th 2009, 6:21 am
Forum Regular

timballs is just really nicetimballs is just really nicetimballs is just really nicetimballs is just really nicetimballs is just really nicetimballs is just really nicetimballs is just really nicetimballs is just really nice

I echo the bit about the winter tyres too. Even if you don't ski, come the weekend I bet you won't be able to resist driving out to the mountains. You will definitely need winter tyres for that - and Calgarians are not the best of drivers in the winter to put it mildly. You will see bump after bump after bump.

Also when the snow starts, the city concentrates on clearing the main arterial routes. The residential side streets, unless it's changed in recent years, are usually left to form ruts, which are safe enough to drive on, but you would be better with winter tyres I would think.