BUNAC Questions...

Old Aug 31st 2008, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

snowman365 has a brilliant futuresnowman365 has a brilliant futuresnowman365 has a brilliant futuresnowman365 has a brilliant futuresnowman365 has a brilliant futuresnowman365 has a brilliant future
Default BUNAC Questions...

Hi People!

Hope you are all well!

I am in the process of sorting out my BUNAC 1 Year Working Holiday Visa - am planning on heading out there January 2009, provided all goes well (apart from Zoom Airlines going bust which has cost me about £500):curse:.

My main question was regarding getting a Canadian National Insurance Number (or the equivalent) once out there - someone told me that to get one you need to go to a 'SWAP' office - what is this and where are they based? Is there one in Calgary?

I look forward to hearing back from you!

Cheers!
Old Aug 31st 2008, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

ScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to all
Default Re: BUNAC Questions...

Originally Posted by snowman365
Hi People!

Hope you are all well!

I am in the process of sorting out my BUNAC 1 Year Working Holiday Visa - am planning on heading out there January 2009, provided all goes well (apart from Zoom Airlines going bust which has cost me about £500):curse:.

My main question was regarding getting a Canadian National Insurance Number (or the equivalent) once out there - someone told me that to get one you need to go to a 'SWAP' office - what is this and where are they based? Is there one in Calgary?

I look forward to hearing back from you!

Cheers!
email [email protected] they will answer any bunac related questions fairly promptly. But yes you get your SIN when you go to your orientation meeting at the swap office.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 8:26 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey snowman, I am a fellow Bunac-er....and am similarly gutted by the whole Zoom happenings

The Canadian version of the NI number is called the SIN number. Apparently, when you go to your Bunac orientation they give you forms to complete for your SIN & they then submit this on your behalf. I'm not sure what the benefit of this is though, if you go to your local Service Canada Centre with the relevant documentation you can fill out the application there & will receive your SIN number straight away.

Here is a link to the Calgary Service Canada Centre - http://www1.servicecanada.gc.ca/cgi-...i?ln=e&rc=4802 There could well be more than one Centre, I'm not sure, if you search around you'll find out.
As for the Bunac office....I actually don't think there is one in Calgary, although I'm happy to be educated otherwise. I think they only have offices in Toronto, Van & Montreal.

Happy Bunac-ing
Old Aug 31st 2008, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

londonlass is an unknown quantity at this point

SWAP is the BUNAC equivalent over here.
No office in Calgary - only in Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal. You are expected to attend an orientation meeting at one of their offices when you arrive and whilst there you apply for you SIN (Canadian NI number) - it's fast tracked so you get the number in a few weeks (the actual card takes longer to arrive) and can begin work.

If you won't be staying in town after the orientation you can call to get the number over the phone or they will post the card onto you if you give a forwarding address (well the Toronto office did anyway)

LL
Old Aug 31st 2008, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

snowman365 has a brilliant futuresnowman365 has a brilliant futuresnowman365 has a brilliant futuresnowman365 has a brilliant futuresnowman365 has a brilliant futuresnowman365 has a brilliant future

Ok cheers guys for all the info.!

So, I would not necessarily have to attend one of these orientation meetings at a SWAP office then?

I could just apply for it through any local Service Canada Centre?

The reason I am asking is that I was originally due to fly into Vancouver, until Zoom Airlines went bust, and am now looking at getting another flight into Calgary instead. They seem to be cheaper and more of them available from Manchester.

But, if I really have to go to one of these meetings then I will fly into Van.

On the subject of Zoom, has anyone heard what the deal is with trying to claim a refund if the ticket was bought on a Debit Card directly from Zoom?

Happy BUNACing too you guys too!!!
Old Aug 31st 2008, 9:05 pm

Nope, you don't have to go to the orientation. They advise, encourage & want you to go, but if there isn't one in your immediate area it can't be helped. You don't need the orientation to apply for your SIN, you can sort that yourself. Check out the service canada site, it should give you locations for the offices.
As for Zoom, I've washed my hands of them! Maybe the sticky zoom threads on the main forum will shed some light for you.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
Nope, you don't have to go to the orientation. They advise, encourage & want you to go, but if there isn't one in your immediate area it can't be helped. You don't need the orientation to apply for your SIN, you can sort that yourself. Check out the service canada site, it should give you locations for the offices.
As for Zoom, I've washed my hands of them! Maybe the sticky zoom threads on the main forum will shed some light for you.
Ok thank you miss Ireland2Canada!

I think I will just try and sort it myself. I will check that site too though.

I was originally going to fly into Van., meet my girlfriend there, and head East into the Rockies to find some snow and work in a ski resort, but I think now I'll just land in Calgary and head West to find the snow and then go to Van. at the end of the ski season!

Yeah I was well gutted about Zoom on Thu., Fri. and Sat. - I nearly called the whole trip off! Am slowly getting over it now though - it just means I will have less $$$ when I get to Canada.

How about you? Did you have a flight booked with Zoom? Have you made alternative arrangements?
Old Aug 31st 2008, 9:26 pm

Ok thank you miss Ireland2Canada!

I think I will just try and sort it myself. I will check that site too though.

I was originally going to fly into Van., meet my girlfriend there, and head East into the Rockies to find some snow and work in a ski resort, but I think now I'll just land in Calgary and head West to find the snow and then go to Van. at the end of the ski season!

Yeah I was well gutted about Zoom on Thu., Fri. and Sat. - I nearly called the whole trip off! Am slowly getting over it now though - it just means I will have less $$$ when I get to Canada.

How about you? Did you have a flight booked with Zoom? Have you made alternative arrangements?
Wow, that's quite some wee trip you're planning there! Sounds great, I would looove to try skiing. The zoom fiasco well & truely sucks, but why let it spoil your fun. Thankfully I hadn't booked flights yet, I have to find decent tenants for a house I have here so I can't book anything till that is done.

It looks like the options are to fly from belfast with air canada or from dublin with ba. Once I got over my bad mood about zoom I realised that their prices aren't really that much more. What royally pisses me off though is not being able to fly directly from belfast to toronto a la zoom. Either of my options include travelling for a couple of hours in the wrong bloody direction! A simple 7 hour flight has morphed into a 17 hour marathon. Option 3 is to start swimming.

I'm starting to rant now.....I'm sure you're glad you asked!
Either way, we should be floating on air to have a visa to go to Canada, who cares about money anyway
Old Aug 31st 2008, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, it should be a good trip! I have wanted to do something like this for about 10 years now but have not for one reason or another - it's got to be done!!! I am considering staying there afterwards if things go well.

Oh that is good then that you had not booked your flights. I am sure you will find another good deal! You are right - there is not a huge difference with the other companies either.

Good luck with the house and the flights!
Old Aug 31st 2008, 11:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

bflava has a spectacular aura aboutbflava has a spectacular aura aboutbflava has a spectacular aura about

Yes, it should be a good trip! I have wanted to do something like this for about 10 years now but have not for one reason or another - it's got to be done!!! I am considering staying there afterwards if things go well.

Oh that is good then that you had not booked your flights. I am sure you will find another good deal! You are right - there is not a huge difference with the other companies either.

Good luck with the house and the flights!
Personnally I have never liked Zoom, I flew with them 2 yrs ago and they were rubbish , so hence i told myself, never ever.

I like my BA at least is an Open Ticket....

Well I hope everyone gets their refund or money back as this sucks and all the best snowman.....

Anyone knows where or which site apart from autotrader that have good deals for cars in Canada????

thanks all n good luck
Old Sep 1st 2008, 6:19 pm

Hey bflava how you doing? pm sent your way!
Old Sep 1st 2008, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bflava
I like my BA at least is an Open Ticket....
Hey Bflava!

Thanks for your message!

Yeah I am currently looking at BA - found some pretty good deals to either Van. or Calgary.

You know you said you have an Open Ticket - did you have to pay extra for that? Is that what BA call the 'Flexibility Package'?

Not long to wait now...
Old Sep 1st 2008, 11:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

bflava has a spectacular aura aboutbflava has a spectacular aura aboutbflava has a spectacular aura about

Hey Bflava!

Thanks for your message!

Yeah I am currently looking at BA - found some pretty good deals to either Van. or Calgary.

You know you said you have an Open Ticket - did you have to pay extra for that? Is that what BA call the 'Flexibility Package'?

Not long to wait now...
NO i just check on that one and i will find out more but from what i know BA tickets are normally open and even if it is for 3 months all u do is pay £100 for the difference, I bought i ticket to New York in june 2006 for 3 weeks n i enede up staying 2 months, i called BA in New York and all i s did was pay $100 and a new itineary was sent to me. The lady on the phone said BA tickets are always open for a yr whether is a weeks ticket u have got.. plus when i bought my ticket from BA i ponly paid £435 back in June and now the same dates is £328 mmmmmmm oh lord ,, i have even check on 9 months and it still gives the same price....
I hope this helps but i will check on other views.

am doing good and all is well with and everyone here, good luck and take care all.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

Hi guys!

Sorry one more question - does anyone know if it actually a strict requirement of the Visa to have a return flight?

Would they let you into Canada with a one way?
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 4:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi guys!

Sorry one more question - does anyone know if it actually a strict requirement of the Visa to have a return flight?

Would they let you into Canada with a one way?
Yes snowman, is one of the reason. That is why you need to show Bunac a return ticket and an insurance... the programm is 8 weeks to 12 months so u can buy a ticket for 2 months and stay more than 2 months is not a problem.

Get a return ticket and it looks simple,,, do u have insurance???.

I am looking for a good deal on car insurance in Ontario as i am in the process of buying a car, mmm but the insurance is like $ 3000 - 2600

sorry i paid $100 for the ticket change instead of £100.. sorry.