Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

British people, any problems getting into Canada with Drink Driving conviction?

British people, any problems getting into Canada with Drink Driving conviction?

Old Jun 10th 2015, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

tintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: British people, any problems getting into Canada with Drink Driving conviction?

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Canada does not allow guns either, as said before, different country different laws, so when u give it a go leave the 9mm Glock at home next to the JD.

Ooooh my favourites
Old Jun 10th 2015, 10:23 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British people, any problems getting into Canada with Drink Driving conviction?

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
So go to the US then.

Unsurprisingly Canada is a different country to the US and has different laws.
I'm a little suprised he got nto the US if he declared his conviction on his ESTA form.
Old Jun 10th 2015, 11:11 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tintin24
Saying all drunk drivers are going to kill someone is like saying everyone who owns a gun is going to kill.
Comparing like for like, maybe. A drunk person driving and a drunk person with a gun, you could well be right. A drunk person driving with a gun is an even higher risk!

A sober person driving, probably has a lesser likelihood of killing someone than gun owners when taken in context of proportion of the general populous, and accounting for the proportion of illegal guns in the hands of criminals.

Someone who is drunk in charge of a vehicle has a much higher chance of injuring or killing someone. They are a danger to themselves, other road users, pedestrians and anyone else in their vehicle. Deciding to drink and drive is a conscious decision, knowing the consequences for themselves and others. It is in my view a highly irresponsible and reckless decision at best.
Old Jun 10th 2015, 11:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

I'm still banned from driving until Feb 2017. So does this mean I can't go to Canada at all?

That means you are banned for another 20 months

How long was the ban for in total??

did you have any other penalties, eg community service, jail ???

how many times have you entered the US since the ban was imposed?

I am also surprised that you have got into the US with a current criminal record ............. unless you didn't tell them?
Old Jun 10th 2015, 11:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Actually a DUI doesn't render you inadmissible into the USA however try getting in or getting PR status with a simple possession of marijuana charge or openly admitting you have used or still use marijuana.
The US rules are different to Canada in regards to DUI convictions the same as ours are different to possession of less than 30 grammes of marijuana.
Old Jun 10th 2015, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

thistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond repute

If you watch the program Border Security you will see that visitors to Canada are denied entry quite regularly because of DUI's. I think Australia has the same policy.
Old Jun 11th 2015, 1:23 am
Forum Regular

MegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond repute

When we were having our immigration Medicals there was a guy there who wanted to go to the States and visit family, he was forced to have a medical for his visa as he couldn't get an simple ESTA he had to apply direct to the U.S. embassy, he was banned for driving for a year after still classed as under the influence the next morning.
Old Jun 11th 2015, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Well either way it's not going to be internationally shared conviction
Well apparently it shared between the US and Canada. Many people who have been convicted of DUI in the US are surprised when they are denied entry into Canada.

DUI record can keep you barred from Canada | The Seattle Times

"Since 9/11, both the U.S. and Canada have used ever-expanding criminal databases that they share with each other."
Old Jun 12th 2015, 5:55 am
Forum Regular

DragonSpirit has a reputation beyond reputeDragonSpirit has a reputation beyond reputeDragonSpirit has a reputation beyond reputeDragonSpirit has a reputation beyond reputeDragonSpirit has a reputation beyond reputeDragonSpirit has a reputation beyond reputeDragonSpirit has a reputation beyond reputeDragonSpirit has a reputation beyond reputeDragonSpirit has a reputation beyond reputeDragonSpirit has a reputation beyond reputeDragonSpirit has a reputation beyond repute

I know Canadians get a bit annoyed about being compared to the US all the time, but I was simply meaning it's just a DUI, one time mistake, and I know how frowned upon drinking crimes are in the US, many countries don't have an issue with it when visiting either, it's not like I'm a major criminal, murderer, or something
I had to do criminal rehabilitation for being cautioned for being drunk and disorderly when I was in my late teens/early twenties. I'm 39 now and it has caused a lot of problems for me.

You've been tried and convicted of DUI, and are banned until 2017 from driving. As others have said, you can't even apply for criminal rehabilitation until at least 2022.

If they ask you at the border if you have any convictions, you're going to have to say yes and explain your ban from driving. Contrary to what you think, they can and do check internationally for these things. That would leave you in a much worse situation as you could be served with a removal order, get you banned from entering Canada for 5-10 years, or even worse.

I don't think it's worth it for you to even try an find a workaround, it will come back to bite you.
Old Jun 12th 2015, 9:31 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thistlehollyberry
If you watch the program Border Security you will see that visitors to Canada are denied entry quite regularly because of DUI's. I think Australia has the same policy.
All travellers to Australia have to get a visa before travelling (not on arrival, except for Kiwis) and all visas (even the evisitor for tourists) require all convictions to be disclosed. Each case is then taken on individual merits -one DUI alone is ulikely to prevent someone coming to Aus, but if there are other convictions or causes for concern then things could be different. Also if someone is found to have lied and said they had no convictions, when in fact they had been done for DUI, that would be viewed more seriously because of the dishonesty.
Old Jun 12th 2015, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Canada does not allow guns either, as said before, different country different laws, so when u give it a go leave the 9mm Glock at home next to the JD.
Actually this is not true. It's controlled but you can actually bring guns into Canada.

Bringing Weapons Into Canada | Embassy of the United States Ottawa, Canada