Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

British people, any problems getting into Canada with Drink Driving conviction?

British people, any problems getting into Canada with Drink Driving conviction?

Old Jun 10th 2015, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

tintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to behold
Default British people, any problems getting into Canada with Drink Driving conviction?

I understand if you're British you don't need a visa to visit Canada, but this is different if you have a drink driving conviction?

I don't see how a small local conviction would be something that would be shared international?

Has anyone with a drink driving conviction and not declared it and had any problems when entering Canada?

Thanks
Old Jun 10th 2015, 7:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British people, any problems getting into Canada with Drink Driving conviction?

Originally Posted by tintin24
I understand if you're British you don't need a visa to visit Canada, but this is different if you have a drink driving conviction?
It depends on how long ago it was. You still don't need a visa to enter Canada, but if the end of any sentence (i.e. ban etc) was less than 10 years ago, you'd need to apply for criminal rehab.

I don't see how a small local conviction would be something that would be shared international?
Drink driving convictions aren't 'local', funnily enough they are actually UK wide.

Has anyone with a drink driving conviction and not declared it and had any problems when entering Canada?
Nobody here is going to help you try and enter Canada without rehab if you need it, not least because encouraging people to break the law is against site rules. I suggest you start reading here and figure out if you do need rehab or not, and then apply if so - Rehabilitation for Persons Who Are Inadmissible to Canada Because of Past Criminal Activity

HTH.
Old Jun 10th 2015, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

tintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: British people, any problems getting into Canada with Drink Driving conviction?

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

Drink driving convictions aren't 'local', funnily enough they are actually UK wide.

HTH.

Well either way it's not going to be internationally shared conviction
Old Jun 10th 2015, 7:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I've no idea whether it would be or not, although on the Canada Border Force program they certainly have access to criminal records for visitors if that's anything to go by - and I'm sure that one quick phone call would soon give them that info anyway!

But what's it being shared or not got to do with it? If you have a DUI, then you know you need rehab to enter Canada if it was less than 10 years ago, and I'm sure you wouldn't be daft enough to try and enter Canada when you know full well that you're inadmissible...........right?
Old Jun 10th 2015, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

worklifebalance is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks

I don't think you will have any trouble entering but your problem will be you are only allowed to leave once you have served your sentence which is likely to be longer than the maximum visa you are entitled to. If your intention is to stay longer than anyone else on a visa then give it a go.
Old Jun 10th 2015, 7:31 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

DUI is a criminal conviction and if you are not deemed rehabilitated (under immigration law) you would not be allowed to enter Canada. You get asked this question on entry, if you tell the truth, you are refused entry, if you lie and get found out, you get kicked out (possibly detained until you leave) and probably prohibited from entering Canada in the future. You are also inadmissible to the US and if you get banned from Canada, the US will likely do the same. Don't rest too assured that international criminal convictions are not shared between agencies.

And just because one person may have got away with it, another may not.
Old Jun 10th 2015, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

It's so confusing, I see nothing about rehab, just says - 'If you have been convicted of driving while impaired by alcohol or drugs, you will probably be found criminally inadmissible to Canada. But as of March 1, 2012, you may be able to get a temporary resident permit for one visit without paying the C$200 processing fee'

So do I just have to get a visitors visa?

This is just so crazy, I can go to the US fine with a DUI, but Canada which is still part of the Commonwealth seems to have a issue with it for some reason?
Old Jun 10th 2015, 7:33 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worklifebalance
I don't think you will have any trouble entering but your problem will be you are only allowed to leave once you have served your sentence which is likely to be longer than the maximum visa you are entitled to. If your intention is to stay longer than anyone else on a visa then give it a go.
Perhaps you could explain this in English?
Old Jun 10th 2015, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=Aviator;11671872]

Originally Posted by Aviator
DUI is a criminal conviction and if you are not deemed rehabilitated (under immigration law) you would not be allowed to enter Canada. You get asked this question on entry, if you tell the truth, you are refused entry, if you lie and get found out, you get kicked out .

So what do I do to prove I'm rehabilitated? Do I just have to convince an immigration officer? Or do I need something else?

Last edited by tintin24; Jun 10th 2015 at 7:48 pm.
Old Jun 10th 2015, 7:46 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

I can go to the US fine with a DUI, but Canada which is still part of the Commonwealth seems to have a issue with it for some reason?
So go to the US then.

Unsurprisingly Canada is a different country to the US and has different laws.
Old Jun 10th 2015, 7:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

It's so confusing, I see nothing about rehab
I gave you the link above about applying for rehab? There's all the info you need there, which has specific info about applying for rehab with a DUI, including an example -

'Example 2: On June 3, 2003, I was convicted of driving under the influence and had my driver’s licence taken away from me for three (3) years. When am I eligible to apply for rehabilitation?

The sentence imposed ends on June 3, 2006. Count five (5) years from the end date of the suspension or the date your driver’s licence is reinstated. You will be eligible to apply for rehabilitation on June 3, 2011.'

When exactly did your sentence for your DUI end i.e. if you were banned, when did that end?

You may be able to apply at the border for a TRP, but it will depend both on how long ago it was, and your reasons for entering Canada. Note that to be able to apply at the border your reasons for entering Canada must 'outweigh the health or safety risks to Canadian society, as determined by an immigration or a border services officer' i.e. you need a good reason.

This is just so crazy, I can go to the US fine with a DUI, but Canada which is still part of the Commonwealth seems to have a issue with it for some reason?
Not sure why the US being fine with it should have any bearing on it at all, they're stricter on other things but it's just different country, different rules. Being part of the Commonwealth has nothing to do with the laws of Canada.

HTH.
Old Jun 10th 2015, 7:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

So what do I do to prove I'm rehabilitated?
You apply for rehab - link given in post no. 2 above.
Old Jun 10th 2015, 7:51 pm

I guess we're just fussy who we let in!
Old Jun 10th 2015, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
So go to the US then.

Unsurprisingly Canada is a different country to the US and has different laws.

That's a little bit touchy,
I do go to the US all the time, In fact I ask this question because this time when over in the US I want to go up to Canada to see family for a few days.
Old Jun 10th 2015, 7:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

That's a little bit touchy,
I do go to the US all the time, In fact I ask this question because this time when over in the US I want to go up to Canada to see family for a few days.
Yes, but why do you think the US's rules are relevant? Their rules on who can enter their country have no more relevance to Canada's than China's!

They're two different countries, and have different laws - there's really no point in comparing the two. Canada has rules, and you have to abide by them if you want to visit, just as the US's rules are much stricter in other ways (i.e. drug convictions).

You may not be able to visit Canada this time around, but if you apply for rehab then at least once you've got it you'll know you can visit any other time you fancy.

As asked above, when did your ban end? That really is a crucial bit of info.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.