Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

British people, any problems getting into Canada with Drink Driving conviction?

British people, any problems getting into Canada with Drink Driving conviction?

Old Jun 10th 2015, 7:59 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British people, any problems getting into Canada with Drink Driving conviction?

Touchy?
Probably.

Drunk drivers piss me off.
Drunk drivers who bitch about the fact that life is now inconvenient for them, piss me off doubly.
Drunk drivers who continue to bitch about it despite the fact that they've been given very clear instructions on what they need to do, piss me off triply
Old Jun 10th 2015, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

tintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: British people, any problems getting into Canada with Drink Driving conviction?

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

When exactly did your sentence for your DUI end i.e. if you were banned, when did that end?

HTH.

I'm still banned from driving until Feb 2017. So does this mean I can't go to Canada at all?
Old Jun 10th 2015, 8:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tintin24
I'm still banned from driving until Feb 2017. So does this mean I can't go to Canada at all?
Ah, in which case you've got a bit of a wait then. You can't even apply for criminal rehab until Feb 2022.

There is the new policy on applying for a TRP at the border if you've got a DUI that you mentioned above, but you usually need a damn good reason for wanting to enter Canada i.e. visiting a terminally ill relative or a vital business meeting. It doesn't sound as though you'd qualify for that, although if you're close to the Canadian border and can get there without spending lots of money you could give it a go.

If not, then you can apply in 2022 and hopefully be able to enter Canada shortly after that. In the meantime, your Canadian family will probably have to travel to you in the US rather than the other way around.

HTH.
Old Jun 10th 2015, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

tintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to beholdtintin24 is a splendid one to behold

Yes, but why do you think the US's rules are relevant? Their rules on who can enter their country have no more relevance to Canada's than China's!

They're two different countries, and have different laws - there's really no point in comparing the two. Canada has rules, and you have to abide by them if you want to visit, just as the US's rules are much stricter in other ways (i.e. drug convictions).

I know Canadians get a bit annoyed about being compared to the US all the time, but I was simply meaning it's just a DUI, one time mistake, and I know how frowned upon drinking crimes are in the US, many countries don't have an issue with it when visiting either, it's not like I'm a major criminal, murderer, or something
Old Jun 10th 2015, 8:19 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

I was simply meaning it's just a DUI, one time mistake, it's not like I'm a major criminal, murderer, or something
Drink driving is a criminal offence, if convicted you are a criminal. Drink drivers kill people because they drive under the influence. Try telling the parents of a child or anyone for that matter, who has been killed or seriously maimed by a drunk driver 'its just a DUI'. It is not that hard to figure out, the drink drive laws are no secret. If someone cannot figure out if they are over the limit, don't drink at all when driving. It is quite simple really.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...h-dui-offenses

Last edited by Aviator; Jun 10th 2015 at 8:27 pm.
Old Jun 10th 2015, 8:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I know Canadians get a bit annoyed about being compared to the US all the time, but I was simply meaning it's just a DUI, one time mistake, and I know how frowned upon drinking crimes are in the US, many countries don't have an issue with it when visiting either, it's not like I'm a major criminal, murderer, or something
I've written a response to this several times now and had to delete it several times too. Suffice it to say that I personally think you are just as culpable as a 'major criminal', and that trivialising something as serious (and potentially lethal) as drink driving isn't going to help when it comes to your rehab app - you'll need to show remorse for the crime you have committed then.

I'll leave this thread now and you can read up on rehab on the CIC website, best of luck to you.
Old Jun 10th 2015, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

There is the new policy on applying for a TRP at the border if you've got a DUI that you mentioned above, but you usually need a damn good reason for wanting to enter Canada i.e. visiting a terminally ill relative or a vital business meeting. It doesn't sound as though you'd qualify for that, although if you're close to the Canadian border and can get there without spending lots of money you could give it a go.

HTH.

Not far at all mate, staying in Saratoga in New York, so not far at all
Old Jun 10th 2015, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Aviator
Drink driving is a criminal offence, if convicted you are a criminal. Drink drivers kill people because they drive under the influence. Try telling the parents of a child or anyone for that matter, who has been killed or seriously maimed by a drunk driver 'its just a DUI'. It is not that hard to figure out, the drink drive laws are no secret. If someone cannot figure out if they are over the limit, don't drink at all when driving. It is quite simple really.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...h-dui-offenses

While I don't doubt drink driving kills people, but so do people how haven't been drinking, are they also criminals?
Old Jun 10th 2015, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

While I don't doubt drink driving kills people, but so do people how haven't been drinking, are they also criminals?
Without getting into a debate on morality, that depends on the circumstances. If they were driving without due care and attention at the time of the crash (and this can be proved a such) then yes they are also criminals. Drink driving is the same (or even worse) than driving without due care and attention.
Old Jun 10th 2015, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

'Dangerous Driving' can get you a 2 year prison sentence, so yes they are also criminals.
Old Jun 10th 2015, 8:41 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

While I don't doubt drink driving kills people, but so do people who haven't been drinking, are they also criminals?
I think you will find they are! Drinking and driving is a choice that an individual makes.
Old Jun 10th 2015, 8:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

If charged and convicted under the Criminal Code of Canada or an offence that equates then Yes they are considered criminally inadmissible.
So you know you are inadmissible into Canada so it will be your decision to travel or not knowing that you could be refused or possibly be admitted.
There is no guarantee a TRP would be issued. You are not eligible for individual rehabilitation and wont be deemed until your sentence has been completed in full and then 10 years has passed with no other offences or convictions.
Some get in some don't, some get asked some don't, some get a TRP some don't, some have their criminal records checked some don't.
Old Jun 10th 2015, 8:54 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Canada does not allow guns either, as said before, different country different laws, so when u give it a go leave the 9mm Glock at home next to the JD.
Old Jun 10th 2015, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Aviator
I think you will find they are! Drinking and driving is a choice that an individual makes.

Saying all drunk drivers are going to kill someone is like saying everyone who owns a gun is going to kill.
Old Jun 10th 2015, 9:23 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

You sound nice...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.