Born in Canada

Old Sep 26th 2008, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

PhilJillMaxJoe has a brilliant futurePhilJillMaxJoe has a brilliant futurePhilJillMaxJoe has a brilliant futurePhilJillMaxJoe has a brilliant futurePhilJillMaxJoe has a brilliant futurePhilJillMaxJoe has a brilliant future
Default Born in Canada

I was born in Canada in 1975 (to British parents working in Canada) and lived there until I was 3 years old. We then moved back to the UK and I have lived here ever since with a British passport.

I am now a mother to two boys and engaged to a wonderful man and we are now seriously looking into moving to Vancouver/Vancouver Island.

Does anybody know if the fact that I was born in Canada improves or guarantees my chances and families chance of immigration????
Old Sep 26th 2008, 8:14 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Born in Canada

Improves greatly!

Unless your parents were diplomats or equivalent, you are almost certainly a Canadian citizen. If so :

1. You don't need a visa, just get a Canadian passport.

2. Your sons are Canadian already. Just apply for their Canadian citizenship cards and Canadian passports.

3. Your husband, if you were married, can be sponsored under Family Class to migrate to Canada. Under current law, he can become a Canadian citizen after 3 years in Canada. Before marriage, sponsorship may be possible under common-law grounds.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

PhilJillMaxJoe has a brilliant futurePhilJillMaxJoe has a brilliant futurePhilJillMaxJoe has a brilliant futurePhilJillMaxJoe has a brilliant futurePhilJillMaxJoe has a brilliant futurePhilJillMaxJoe has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JAJ
Improves greatly!

Unless your parents were diplomats or equivalent, you are almost certainly a Canadian citizen. If so :

2. Your sons are Canadian already. Just apply for their Canadian citizenship cards and Canadian passports.

3. Your husband, if you were married, can be sponsored under Family Class to migrate to Canada. Under current law, he can become a Canadian citizen after 3 years in Canada. Before marriage, sponsorship may be possible under common-law grounds.
OOps not quite grasped the reply process on this site yet.

Anyway many thanks for the quick response and good news I am going to have a look on the internet now for information on obtaining a Canadian passport.

My fiance just needs to secure a job and then it could be quite a quick process??!!

Thanks again
Old Sep 26th 2008, 8:48 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like great news for you.
Even better that you don't NEED a job as I don't believe income levels apply for spousal sponsorship.

Hve you seen the wiki at the top of the page . It is FULL of excellent info , including info on spousal sponsorship ?

Well worth a read

Congrats on your good news
Old Sep 26th 2008, 9:31 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell

Have you seen the Wiki at the top of the page. It is FULL of excellent info, including info on spousal sponsorship?
Link to Wiki article on Spousal Sponsorship so you don't have to go searching the whole Wiki for it.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spousa...sorship-Canada
Old Sep 27th 2008, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

Sounds like great news for you.
Even better that you don't NEED a job as I don't believe income levels apply for spousal sponsorship.

Hve you seen the wiki at the top of the page . It is FULL of excellent info , including info on spousal sponsorship ?

Well worth a read

Congrats on your good news
Zoe,

Many thanks for that direction. My Auntie and Grandma live near Toronto, great place! Cheers
Old Sep 27th 2008, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Link to Wiki article on Spousal Sponsorship so you don't have to go searching the whole Wiki for it.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spousa...sorship-Canada
Steve,

Many thanks for the quick link, my printer is "hot to trot" now whilst printing out all the relevant information.

PhilJillMaxJoe
Old Sep 27th 2008, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
Improves greatly!

JAJ,

We are reading as much literature from the WIKI on this subject as possible. Another question though, if you do not mind and forgive me for maybe appearing a bit slow on this subject but my understanding now on the process is as follows:

I apply for my Canadian passport, as do my sons (we have all the forms off the internet now). Assuming the process is straight forward and we apply and obtain our passports does that mean I am a Canadian citizen and we can move to Canada, work in Canada etc? Or do we have to apply for PR? Depending on your thoughts on the above will obviously then influence how my fiance (we have lived together for 6 years and can easily provide the correct supporting documentation) approaches my sponsoring him to immigrate.

Any thoughts / comments greatly appreciated.

Many thanks again for everyone's very quick responses and excellent info. What a great site this is.

Old Sep 27th 2008, 2:03 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

you and your sons are already citizens , no need for PR. This means that you can work etc no need for a visa !
Your fiancee needs to be sponsored by you in order for her to get PR.
Then she can apply for ciitizenship after meeting the requirements

Last edited by Zoe Bell; Sep 27th 2008 at 2:06 pm.
Old Sep 27th 2008, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

you and your sons are already citizens , no need for PR. This means that you can work etc no need for a visa !
Your fiancee needs to be sponsored by you in order for her to get PR.
Then she can apply for ciitizenship after meeting the requirements
Zoe,

Fantastic news, now it does get scary and real!!! So once I have our Canadian passports we can move straight out there?! Do we have to reside in Canada for a period of time before buying a property or can we buy immediately?
Old Sep 27th 2008, 4:43 pm
Professional Cat herder

Hell , you can buy property without even being resident !!!
Old Sep 27th 2008, 4:45 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PhilJillMaxJoe
Do we have to reside in Canada for a period of time before buying a property or can we buy immediately?
You can buy whenever you like there are no restrictions on property ownership regarding citizenship.
Old Sep 27th 2008, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

Hell , you can buy property without even being resident !!!
Zoe, Thanks!
Old Sep 27th 2008, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Steve_P
You can buy whenever you like there are no restrictions on property ownership regarding citizenship.
Steve,

Thanks for the good news.